Author Topic: Battle Zero sight vs. 100m sight at 25, 50, 100 yds  (Read 2740 times)

Offline rjinga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Battle Zero sight vs. 100m sight at 25, 50, 100 yds
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:47:18 AM »
The rifle:  Chinese Type 56 SKS (with bayonet extended, of course).  The ammunition:  Golden Tiger, 124 grain, FMJ BT.  Regular iron sights; no scope or optic.

All of the targets, unless noted, were shot off of a bench-rest (crude, but effective):

On the first set of targets, I was using a 6:00 POA, and I tried to touch the top of the front post to the barrel on the target:

The distance between the center points of the two groups was approximately 2”, and both were below the POA.

On the second set of targets, I used a 6:00 POA and I tried to touch the top of the front post to the bottom of the 3” red square:

The center point of the BZ rear sight group was about 2-1/2” above the center point of the 100m rear sight group.

On the third set of targets, I used a 6:00 POA and I tried to touch the top of the front post to the bottom of the paper: 

I fired five rounds using the 100m rear sights and none of the rounds hit the paper (low, I’m assuming).  So, I switched to a center/just below center POA and got three out of four shots on the paper.  I went back to the 6:00 POA with the BZ rear sight and got four out of five shots on the paper about 7” above the POA.

I switched to a shooting-with-my-elbows-on-the-bench (unsupported?) position with the “bad guy” target:

The POA with the 100m rear sight was a 6:00 hold on the center/upper center of the target.  I fired six rounds.  The POA with the BZ rear sight was a 6:00 hold on the center of the target.  I fired 10 rounds.  The distance between the center points of the two groups was approximately 8”.

On the last target I went back to the bench-rest and a 6:00 POA, with the top of the post touching the bottom of the target:

Ten rounds fired; nine on the paper and eight on the target.

Conclusion:  One of these days I hope to be able to try the rear-sight meter positions at confirmed metric distances.  In the meantime, I think I’ll work on getting proficient with both the BZ rear sight (out to 300 yds) and the meter notches at the corresponding yardage distances.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Battle Zero sight vs. 100m sight at 25, 50, 100 yds
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
looks like a fun day, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!