Author Topic: Why the least expensive?  (Read 806 times)

Offline inbluskyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Why the least expensive?
« on: June 24, 2023, 07:16:27 PM »
It seems like Romanian SKS's cost less than a standard Chinese SKS. Why?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Why the least expensive?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:09:25 PM »
Many, many moons ago, it was wrote off as kind of a low grade SKS, some because a matching one was few and far between, however, they just never gained the uber all hail mystical following the Russians and Chinese did.. the Russians are the original variant, and there's epic tons of Chinese of all flavors, then the Albanians and Yugoslavians follow suit..   then you have the Romanians all back of the bus and stuff....   even though, there are probably less imported than all of the big 5 other than the Albanian, and maybe the Yugoslavian M59.

Honestly.. I'll gladly take a Romanian any day.. they do have the best slings out of all of them.  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 11:58:25 PM »
From my limited experience, they are typically more.  Seems like 800 last time I looked at Gnbrkr.  I can get the Chinese versions for 400-500 range.

I have looked at them a few times - but always move on.  ::)

Offline inbluskyz

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 05:18:20 AM »
Well that's good news, I will check that site out. I kind of bought it by accident at auction but it will add nicely to the collection since i will have four different types. Thanks for the info!

Offline inbluskyz

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 05:40:33 AM »
Thanks Greasemonkey. You mentioned the Yugo M59 as being rare, how rare? My first SKS is a very very nice M59 C series. I thought I was buying a Norinco that had some pieces slapped together since there were no Chinese characters on the receiver. I thought the gray bayonet was strange and some sort of after market part. A few weeks later I finally figured out it was a Yugo M59. Dou you know what kind of value they have? I haven't found much information on the internet. Thanks again!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks Greasemonkey. You mentioned the Yugo M59 as being rare, how rare? My first SKS is a very very nice M59 C series. I thought I was buying a Norinco that had some pieces slapped together since there were no Chinese characters on the receiver. I thought the gray bayonet was strange and some sort of after market part. A few weeks later I finally figured out it was a Yugo M59. Dou you know what kind of value they have? I haven't found much information on the internet. Thanks again!

Rare is a very subjective term...  in the grand scheme of the big 5 makes, the M59 as a whole is uncommon, however, broken down into maker only.. the C series is common, the B series is very uncommon, and the M59 long barrel is rare.  Value, so few sell, it's hard to put a finger on exact value, however a B series will typically out price a C series, and a long barrel M59 will usually smoke both in price.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 11:54:57 AM »
I've owned most makes and models of SKS rifles and I think the one I paid the most for is Romanian.  I didn't know they were less expensive.  As-issued Russian, Chinese, and Yugoslavian SKS rifles are pretty common.  I've only come across one as-issued Romanian....which is why I paid a lot for it.

image upload

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 12:07:40 PM »
The 5 Romanians I have, 4 I've had for years, all the years made and 2 1960s and one is a matching 1957. When I got them, pricewise were kind of between a Yugoslavian M59/66 and a Chinese, again unfair price, because at the time, the Chinese and Yugoslavian model had the market flooded.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 11:23:18 PM »
All comments are real. And ill add that the Romanian SkS was also the Godfather of the trench. Cracked stocks, Superior Art, And an aroma which one will never forget. chuckles1. There's also a Romanan SkS pouch "as pictured"  to go along with the very rare hard to find sling.

Then there's the Grenade launcher, The Romanian spigot !! So yeah the Romanian had several different / unlike gadgets that the others didnt and in the eye of the Romanian SkS beholder are very sought after items.  8) 8) 8) Still my favorite SkS along with the M59. Work Horses !!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 11:27:33 PM »
Definitely hard to find a Romanian in as-issued condition. Stocks are almost always refurb’d. That one is a beaut jj!

I would say GM is right on with his thought that a Yugo M59 probably has a smaller run than the Romanian M56.  Both types are out there but they simply don’t turn up all that often for sale. If you look at the old gunbroker threads I used to do there were certainly far fewer Yugos and Romys for sale compared to Chinese and Russian SKSs.

I think Romys will typically probe out equal to a Chinese if not at a bit of a premium.  Being patient and waiting for that perfect gun to fall into your lap is really the only way to get one without greatly overpaying (And even then you might just overpay because there aren’t that many changing hands nowadays).

Offline inbluskyz

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 04:52:03 PM »
Thanks again everyone, very informative! I got hooked on SKS after shooting that M59. At 200 yards with iron sights it made me feel like a professional shooter, so accurate. Shot 20 rounds then put it away because it's in great shape. Since then I bought several Norinco's below in the 400's. The Romy and a very nice Tula but it's missing the original mag.  :(

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
I always thought the original Russian deep red finish was the most beautiful...until I found that Romanian M56.  Here it is next to an as issued Russian (Izhevsk):

The Romanian is even more red than the Russian and the figure of the Romanian wood is more pronounced.  The Romanian makes the Russian look brown!

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 10:37:42 PM »
The 5 Romanians I have, 4 I've had for years, all the years made and 2 1960s and one is a matching 1957. When I got them, pricewise were kind of between a Yugoslavian M59/66 and a Chinese, again unfair price, because at the time, the Chinese and Yugoslavian model had the market flooded.

That is one amazing collection!  All of them look great!

What is the AK on the far right?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 11:16:52 PM »
A Romanian WASR2, 5.45x39mm with all the kinks worked out..  gave me the excuse to by Izhevsk, Tula, East German and other AK74 cool bakelite magazines..  that's probably a Tula or Izhevsk magazine shoved in it.