Author Topic: AR15.com de-platformed and implications for this site.  (Read 3198 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
AR15.com de-platformed and implications for this site.
« on: January 12, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »
Per this article, https://t.co/vCnLtxWYjK?amp=1 it appears that "Arfcom" has been de-platformed by their registrar GoDaddy.  In my opinion the writing is on the wall; things will get much worse for the gun community before they get any better.  We may never return to how the 'net was pre-2021.

SKS-Files is not hosted or registered by GoDaddy (so we have that going for us in the short term), but in the grand scheme of things if momentum builds and there is a concerted (or even colluded) effort by multiple corporations to eliminate all gun forums, sites, and stores off the internet, there is nothing much that individuals can really do at that point.  I don't post this to frighten or enflame, but it's probably best to at least keep track of which corporations are wielding this hammer (and more importantly learn how they make their money off you).   A larger step would be to do a bit of preemptive letter writing to your various elected officials alerting them of this behavior (local, state, and national) but in all honesty, I suspect at least at the national level this will do very little.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: AR15.com de-platformed and implications for this site.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:58:07 PM »
I wonder where the right of private business vs breach of 1st amendment rights and censorship come into play here. This is the same thing with the big hi-tech companies censoring Trump and others.

Basically conservatives need our own web/internet/server platform with which to communicate and make known the other side of the story.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:10:42 PM »
Google Musk and censorship. Seems one of the richest men in the world still believes in individual rights.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:00:51 AM »
Almost as if the leftist were waiting for the signal to cut it off.....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 04:35:13 AM »
Arfcom is back, they had backups and given the resources there it ended up to be a minor glitch and they successfully moved servers.

However, it is indeed a symptom of a much bigger and very worrisome issue.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
It might not hurt to come up with alternative hosting, and have a backup set up that is synced daily.
Could be handy for experimenting with new stuff too.
Is there enough space on the Weebly site to allow for at least the infrastructure portion to live there and store the 'data' in a daily updated cloud somewhere.
Webprepping.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
It might not hurt to come up with alternative hosting, and have a backup set up that is synced daily.
Could be handy for experimenting with new stuff too.
Is there enough space on the Weebly site to allow for at least the infrastructure portion to live there and store the 'data' in a daily updated cloud somewhere.
Webprepping.

I don't know that I would trust Weebly to that, but a back up set up on different servers would be good. Most site hosts are set up that way anyway, but these days that doesn't mean much if the host is going to nuk the site. They would be apt to sabatoge the back up as well.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:05:51 PM »
I have run servers from my home before, LONG ago...but it really doesn't take much, aside from bandwidth issues on a media heavy site.  A daily backup could be FTPed to a backup server to keep things as current as possible...and saved should our hosts decide that the party is over.  A less dynamic site like the Weebly guide site should, and probably is already saved on the admin's machines anyway.

After being threatened by the RIAA over my KISS bootleg video tape site back in 99....I was constantly worried about having my hosting removed and data deleted, so I just kept my home server synced with my live site, so if anything happened...all I would have to do is point my DNS to my home server and it could limp along until friendlier hosting could be arranged.

It might be a good time to brush up on using TOR.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 03:01:53 PM »
Ok, just read this post.  Not being computer literate (I still have my chisels for stone tablet writing), all these acronyms just confuse me.  The one thing I do know is that it sounds a mite pricey.  That said, what additional funds would be needed to ensure that the accumulated knowledge of this site is safeguarded and that RM and the other administrators have the tools to maintain it?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 11:44:02 PM »
The main focus of this post was that we just need to be vigilant and keep our eyes open to notice that this kind of stuff starts to happen more frequently.  There is no perfect plan B; we can think up alternatives, but if a concerted effort by multiple tech companies is made against the firearms blogging/bulletin board community as a whole, there really will be little recourse (especially for a site the size of ours).  Look at what happened to Parler: growing at 4000% one day, gone the next because Amazon Web Services yanked the rug out from under them. 

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 11:36:55 AM »
Re bacarnal's post, I'm up with the acronyms and lingo, but preserving the invaluable information the Admins have accumulated over the years is critical to a recovery if/if the Files is de-platformed. If it's a matter of funds, what can we, the members, do to pitch in? Presumably, most, if not all of us are going to receive a 'stimulus' check...  :)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »
Re bacarnal's post, I'm up with the acronyms and lingo, but preserving the invaluable information the Admins have accumulated over the years is critical to a recovery if/if the Files is de-platformed. If it's a matter of funds, what can we, the members, do to pitch in? Presumably, most, if not all of us are going to receive a 'stimulus' check...  :)

Ahh, we do have backups.  They are not daily nor are they automatic, but I do try to download the entire site to a local drive on a semi-regular basis.  As far as getting back up if we have the rug pulled out from under us, if we were able to find another hosting service, we could theoretically restore a full backup, point the domain name to the new server and be back and running relatively quickly.   thumb1

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 01:14:02 PM »
Good to know!
'Rug pulling' is becoming more worrisome; especially for anything related to online firearms discussion (speech) and sales (commerce). Despite 40 million new sales (owner/citizens) entering the gun community in 2020, the anti-2A megaphone will likely make the next two to four years a bumpy ride.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »
It all started with pulling wool over the eyes, now it has progressed to Rug pulling, wonder what's next?

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »
ARFCOM needs to go away
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 03:07:34 AM »
ARFCOM needs to go away

It is a sewer but it’s still there  rofl

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 07:32:26 AM »
ive never seen such unchecked racism , im Native , one week its all about how they should have exterminated the natives when they had the chance ,we were conquered so we should have been wiped out of existence ,that they wouldn't have to take back reserve land because they would have never given it to us if we were all dead  , one week 8 pages of it , next week it was all about the jews  , that went on for 2 weeks and 14 pages before it fizzled out just in time to get another anti Native thread cranked up , again 8-9 pages

the mods just let it go on, they alternate between one hate to the next , i called the toothless rednecks out  and i get banned in less than an hour for calling them racists , so we know where the powers to be sit on the subject  over there , one post calling them racists in 8 pages of their hate against Natives and im the one they chose to seek retribution against

one half racist and the other half religious zealots , "i shot a sub MOA , it was as if the hand of god was on my shoulder" , the subcategories seem to be fine , its the weirdos in the General Discussion forum thats pathetic
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »
That’s sad! Unfortunately, that behavior is part of the reason many Americans associate gun owners and racism. One Colin Noir isn’t enough to counteract the images of Proud Boys, and other hate groups wielding ARs or other firearms.

Racial, ethnic, religious, etc. prejudice isn’t tolerated here.

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
I don't even go there. Arfcom is indeed a sewer for a number of reasons. I much prefer the milsurp collectors crowd. More mature and nicer people, as you can find here. This forum is a particularly friendly place.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 01:27:29 PM »
That’s sad! Unfortunately, that behavior is part of the reason many Americans associate gun owners and racism. One Colin Noir isn’t enough to counteract the images of Proud Boys, and other hate groups wielding ARs or other firearms.

Racial, ethnic, religious, etc. prejudice isn’t tolerated here.

Since this thread has now brought up a different issue, I want to clarify that I know RM didn't bring this up because he supports the aforementioned intolerant crowd on arfcom, but rather because if GoDaddy decided against hosting the arfcom site for anti-2A reasons, that is disturbing.

That should be obvious, as he was a co-author of the "Rules", including Rule 4.
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=20.msg62466#new