Author Topic: Another offering..  (Read 3361 times)

Offline ozark1

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Another offering..
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:28:19 AM »
I have been offer another SKS. This one is 10 million range...20"..no bayonet lug..and comes with 3 AK 47 mags. It's in a Tapco stock..wth an M2 bipod..so I don't have info on original wood. From the political horizon..it might be more valuable than ??????...thanks..jv..

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Another offering..
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »
If the bayonet lug being cut off and taking AK mags is "factory" then you may have a Type-63 Chinese Commercial import on your hands. Here is a link with pics.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/63.html
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
This one doesn't have the bobbed bayonet lug..Nothing on the barrel except sight ..there is a small groove on the bottom of the barrel..about roll pin size. I think this one is a converted stocker...but..it's nice..with the Tapco...and a bipod....and..if the price gets right ???

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
Does the Seller say that the SKS actually uses the AK mags? Or do the mags just get thrown in with the deal? If it's an AK-mag conversion, like the SKS-M, the SKS-30, etc., then definitely find out more about it. Any way to get pictures? That's always a better way to get advice and opinions here. Just easier that way.

firstchoice

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »
I've had it in my hands. It takes the AK mags. 3 30 round mags come with it...Nothing on receiver other than SN and the 26 in a triangle. I think it's a plain 1966 made SKS that someone has converted to AK mags. If I buy it..(we're $50 apart)...I think I'll leave it the way it is..

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 12:10:41 PM »
I've had it in my hands. It takes the AK mags. 3 30 round mags come with it...Nothing on receiver other than SN and the 26 in a triangle. I think it's a plain 1966 made SKS that someone has converted to AK mags. If I buy it..(we're $50 apart)...I think I'll leave it the way it is..

Based on your description, it sounds like an odd duck. I don't know of AK mag compatible SKSs that retain the Jianshe Arsenal /26\ marking. Not trying to be condescending, but you've seen the AK mag release on the rifle and confirmed that they are AK mags and not the duckbill SKS mags, right? If it's someone's backyard conversion to accept AK mags with the proper front mag catch, rear mag release etc., I'd be a bit leery of it.

Presumably the stateside Midwest Ordnance “SKS-D” conversions used Type 56 receivers, so I suppose that's another possibility. I've never seen one of these, so I don't really know if they converted Type 56s and left all of the markings intact, or what markings they added to distinguish their professional bubba from backyard bubba.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »
I put the mags in myself... It has the front  catch and rear release...The mags go in and out perfectly. Why would you be leery ?...Just looked it over again...There is a ..7.62.. stamped into the receiver just under the ejection port. No importer markings anywhere...and..it looks like some sort of black finish...that you can scrape away with a fingernail...covering the blued metal parts...I think we have a deal for the gun..Again..10 million SN..and triangle 26 ????

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »
I put the mags in myself... It has the front  catch and rear release...The mags go in and out perfectly. Why would you be leery ?...Just looked it over again...There is a ..7.62.. stamped into the receiver just under the ejection port. No importer markings anywhere...and..it looks like some sort of black finish...that you can scrape away with a fingernail...covering the blued metal parts...I think we have a deal for the gun..Again..10 million SN..and triangle 26 ????

That'd be the remnant of your import mark. Black paint would be bubba. There aren't any military or commercial variants that were painted.

Leery, because if it has no markings indicative of an "official" commercial AK conversion (see the AK mag variant sticky in the commercial section), it could be a backyard bubba conversion and who knows how well it works. There were no military AK mag versions of the Chinese SKS.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 06:16:31 PM »
Well..Here's the verdict. I thought from the beginning it was a modified stocker..SO..I went out in the back yard..and loaded 20 rounds, and went for it. Again..the mag loaded perfectly and ran the 20 without a hitch. I put a few into the other 2 mags, and they ran perfect too..The owner came over, and we did the deal for $375 and fishing rights in my pond for him and his boys..(That was his idea)..next summer..Stock is nice..bore like new...I'll spend an afternoon taking the black finish off..Even has cleaning kit..I think I'm in it right..Like my old HS Coach used to say.."It works for me"...thanks to the Forum for the help. I really appreciate it...jv..

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 06:17:42 PM »
Sounds like a great deal for both of you.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 06:46:07 PM »
Both of us are satisfied.. Remember that this gun came in a Dark Earth Tapco stock..along with the 3 mags..kit,etc...I'll see if anything pops up when I get the paint off..From what I can see..the blue looks fine ?..

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
Couldn't stand it..Took the stock off...The AK mag setup is a nicely machined black aluminum part that is attached to the part that the stock SKS mag attaches to in the front..Attached with allen bolt. Part looks brand new..There is no name or number on it anywhere..but it isn't a backyard BUBBA part. Anyone recognize  it ? With no bayonet lug...I keep thinking Paratrooper !!!!!!

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 08:08:17 PM »
Black paint is gone...On the barrel..just ahead of the receiver is stamped 64 on one side..an an 8 on the other vside...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »
Really need to see some pics to verify what exactly you have Ozark. Almost sounds like one of 1mlt's G3 adapters.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 09:39:55 PM »
Just looked at a photo of G3/A.  Mine looks  a lot like it..Their website says none of their adapters will take an AK mag. ??

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
PHOTO...........

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 09:49:57 PM »
That looks like a G5 adapter. Post a pic of the mags if you would.

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 12:04:23 AM »
Did you load the magazines he provided or your own AK mags?
Those adapters work with modified magazines IIRC and will not work with regular AK magazines.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 06:27:42 AM »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
PHOTO...........

ozark1, that one photo makes it so much easier to help with the questions! We'd love to see photos of the complete rifle, when you get the chance! Please post up pics of the three magazines, too. Thanks!

Based on your description, it sounds like an odd duck. I don't know of AK mag compatible SKSs that retain the Jianshe Arsenal /26\ marking. Not trying to be condescending, but you've seen the AK mag release on the rifle and confirmed that they are AK mags and not the duckbill SKS mags, right? If it's someone's backyard conversion to accept AK mags with the proper front mag catch, rear mag release etc., I'd be a bit leery of it.

Presumably the stateside Midwest Ordnance “SKS-D” conversions used Type 56 receivers, so I suppose that's another possibility. I've never seen one of these, so I don't really know if they converted Type 56s and left all of the markings intact, or what markings they added to distinguish their professional bubba from backyard bubba.

Phos, the Midwest Ordnance "SKS-D" used standard off the rack Type 56's, and there was no rhyme or reason to the arsenal or serial numbers.  But they all had their arsenal mark and original SN's intact.

The Navy Arms "Assault Carbine", also known as the Type 84, (nobody knows why it got that name, or who started calling it by that name. But it wasn't Val Forgett, Jr. or Navy Arms.) It was also made from existing rifles and had the arsenal mark and serial number intact.

Those are the only two made-for-the-US Commercial AK-magazine modified SKS rifles that I know of that had the original arsenal mark and SN's intact, and were made from existing guns.

I used to enjoy my time picking the mind of the late Joe Hersey (xxxsks) about all the commercial models, time lines, accessories, whatever. He spent a lot of time researching all things Commercial SKS and we have him to thank for a great part of that data! RIP Joe!

firstchoice