Author Topic: 1950's-1953's mix of Russian SKS's  (Read 6593 times)

Offline 100Acre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
1950's-1953's mix of Russian SKS's
« on: January 12, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
New guy here and my 1st post. Someone on Gunboards recommended this site so here I am as well. I have the same screen name over there. So, long story short, I was walking around a gunshow last weekend carrying an SVT 40 and looking for a bayonet, when an old timer said I have a bunch of those. Do you want to buy them? I said yes. Then he went on to saying he had a bunch of SKS's and mosins and he wanted to sell the whole lot. After some discussion we agreed on the sum of $7050 for all of it. So in the middle of the week I drove two hours to his place in the mountains to see them. He did stress that it was an all or nothing deal and that it revolved around a SVT sniper that turned out to be fake but being somewhat of a newbie, I bought not all. I honestly had no real interest in the SKS's and figured I'd just sell them as I was more interested in the SVT'S and the 3 Mosins. So after getting home and a little more thought later, I realized I must've bought them all at the 1991 prices that he must've originally paid! I guess he just wanted to get his money back? Anyway, I learned that many of them are quite collectable! I am a history nut and love collecting too. It would appear that I stumbled on a little gold mine. What I got in total was:
8 Russian sks's
4 SVT 40's- one being a fake sniper with a PU scope and mount installed by the importer
1 1914 Izhevsk Imperial M91 with all matching numbers
1 1943 Izhevsk M91/59 matching #'s and mirror bore
1 1945 Izhevsk M44 matching #'s mirror bore.

Of the Sks's  all are Tula's
The Russian dates
NON Refurbed All matching numbers and unissued bore condition

Tula 1953 number Op over an On 3569 The n looks like a pie symbol
Tula 1955 OL over a On 212 The 'n' looks like a pie symbol

Laminate stocks -all matching numbers and unissued bore condition. Not been Painted.
Tula 1950 Later '50 model
Tula 1951

Refurbs -all matching numbers except on butt stocks where they XXXXX out the old numbers and stamped new numbers in, and unissued bore condition. Receiver and bolts painted black
Tula 1950  Earlier model Hand etched 1950r 90* gas block hole in receiver lever
Tula 1951
Tula 1953
One with nothing but a box with a diagonal line on the receiver and Cyrillic writing and serial numbers stamped elsewhere but all matching.

This takes a lot to upload pix so please be patient with me. I already started a thread on GB called My SKS COLLECTION. THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING. I'm here to learn everything about these rifles. So please be patient with me, Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:07:10 PM by 100Acre »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Re: 1955 to 1956 Russian Transitional Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
Hi, welcome  thumb1  Nice score.

Mosin pictures and SVT pictures are welcome too, we have a section just for them.. uhmmm Mosin drool2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »
Nice.  I saw the thread on Gunboards, you got a smoking deal there Dan.  Welcome to SKS-Files.  I split this topic from the sticky so it doesn't get lost as time progresses as your guns have nothing to do with the transitional 55 to 56 period.

The as-issued '55 is a beauty.  Low numbered ОЛ prefix.  I have an 8400+ numbered 1955 ОЛ in the database.

The transitional '50 you've got...that's the real gem in the whole SKS mix in my opinion.  Very uncommon bird there.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: 1955 to 1956 Russian Transitional Guns
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »
Welcome!

Like I commented over on GB, at current market value for SVT-40s and magazines, your payment covered those. The rest of the rifles were deal sweeteners! Deal of the year candidate, for sure.

1953 is ОЛ prefix, transliterated from the Russian Cyrillic letters to OL by the importer (as required by ATF)

1955 is ОП prefix, transliterated from the Russian Cyrillic letters to OP by the importer. A fairly subtle difference between the L & P; Л & П

Those are both beauties and the early Tulas are nice finds too  thumb1

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 06:01:44 PM »
Thanks Y'all I really appreciate the welcome and any advice on these rifles. At some point I'd like to sell some. Which ones I'm not really sure at this moment in time. I am hoping to buy some land up Idaho way within a year. Is it really a bad thing to ask about values? I feel like it's a taboo subject on GB. I am a collector and investor too so to speak. My grandfather left me some stocks which I liquidated and have been putting a fair sum in tangibles, including firearms. I'm not a dealer and I hold no special permits or licensing.  I've never sold anything online and haven't the foggiest idea on how to do it anyway. I'm just a 52 year old old geek who loves military history and equipment. There are some nice folks over there on GB but there are also some combative old Sleestaks too. I had a couple of people tell me not to ask about values if I'm looking for friends. Thought it was down right negative. I think that part of collecting is also knowing the approximate values of your collection for every logical reason. I am very new to the Gun Forums as I never felt comfortable sharing these things on the world wide web, but then I also realized there was really no way to learn all this stuff without posting images etc. I don't trust the internet or big brother so much. Anyway,. I live in the mountains of NC and am a real human. I try to be nice fand air and always try to treat others with honor and respect, u unless of course you're one of those folks that want to remove our rights. and then, I'd prefer to not banter with those types. Anyway I think I said enough for now. Thank you again for your welcome and kind responses. Dan

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
Mountains of NC.. thumb1 I'm just north.... in the mountains of VA..
From a....addicts...errr hoarder....collector what ever term you want to use... point of view, I rarely sell.  One day it may come to that, but until then..it's all MINE!!

You must research, get up to date on the market if eventually selling, that ensures you get fair market value. If you sell for too little you loose out, too high it doesn't move. Also you have to beware of what I call a Velociraptor purchase, one in front of you tries to undercut and under value what you have so someone else can do a side attack waving just a slightly higher amount of green bills under your nose. The worst thing about discussing values...is someone somewhere gets butt hurt, what one person thinks it's worth, another thinks is either too high or too low.. Especially, if you have someone who owns a like weapon, they want to preserve the value or increase it as much as possible vs. someone who doesn't own one, who has no real stake in the game and wants one on the cheap. In the end, it's about educating yourself and finding that balance between what you think it's worth and what the open influx market thinks it worth at that moment.

As for over there, I am a member and well, I don't often play well with others.. :) I see so much good information mixed in with so much old school age old mis-information, it's reading between the lines and separating fact from fiction that one needs to learn, also it's getting used to frequent palm prints on your forehead. I, we here don't know everything and are always up for learning and changing, we try to avoid the wild ass guesses, if there is something new or questioned, we openly invite it to be brought to the table, it may get heated, it may not, but we will throw it at the wall and see what sticks and discuss it till we are blue in the face.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
CONGRATS on a great 'harvest'! There's a couple of those beauties I'd be willing to take off yer hands. Ennyhoo, the moderators and FAQ's, have the best info re sales.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
Should the title of this thread be changed? Thanks guys for the open feedback. Being the new guy around these here parts makes me confused as to everyone is as I do not recognize your names here vs there....I like being 100Acre wherever I go. I don't actually live on 100 acres though. It's from Christopher Robbin, Winnie the Pooh and the 100 acre woods....There's depth to it...lol. Also, is there a general discussion area where you can throw out questions as well as jibes? In jest of course. Like the pub or the range where folks can discuss whatever? Thanks

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »
I finished my thread over on GB on my Russian SKS's. I'll try to get some pix uploaded here soon. I also have another 7 SVT's and 25 Mosins to research as well. It takes me on average about 25-30 minutes to create posts with pictures over there. Learning patience...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »
Also, is there a general discussion area where you can throw out questions as well as jibes? In jest of course. Like the pub or the range where folks can discuss whatever? Thanks

There is a "General SKS Discussion" area.. other Milsurps can be discussed in their respective areas.. we are a little more lenient than some forums, but we do have rules.. for more information.. see.... https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1386.0  and https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=20.0

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 12:19:53 AM »
all 8 Russians in 1 bed at the same time 100Acre ? ha ha ha ha chuckles1  You the Man !!  Very nice platoon you got there ! Also sounds like you have a good knowledge on the Russians already : ) Thanks for sharing the pics .. Really fresh batch there : ) Welcome aboard Comrade  rofl2

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »
Of all the ones in this batch, Which are the least desirable? I will keep the rarest and more sought after ones but I'd like to maybe sell the rest. Or are they all desirable?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »
Every time I sold one of my SkS's I regretted it later. Both Yugo 59/66. And in my opinion the least desired. If you don't need the money desperately, Dont sell em.  thumb1 And whtch out for that slippery Mangy Monkey here. He'll try and get you to ship them to VA,  chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
The painted refurbs would typically be kicked out by a Russian collector.. on the flip side, ain't none made any more and none are imported, one could always just sit on them and let them appreciate in value, it not like the market will ever fall out for a Russian SKS. I don't ever foresee a ship full of conex boxes full of Russian SKSs hitting our shore.

Don't hate Correct Direction...we like guns in Virginia too, besides they feel safer here, no crazy Nancy running around. rofl rofl2. Though if Gov Northam gets his wishes we both might be in the same boat :o

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
The painted refurbs would typically be kicked out by a Russian collector.. on the flip side, ain't none made any more and none are imported, one could always just sit on them and let them appreciate in value, it not like the market will ever fall out for a Russian SKS. I don't ever foresee a ship full of conex boxes full of Russian SKSs hitting our shore.

Don't hate Correct Direction...we like guns in Virginia too, besides they feel safer here, no crazy Nancy running around. rofl rofl2. Though if Gov Northam gets his wishes we both might be in the same boat :o

The whole country's a sinking boat bro ! But we here in the State of crumbs still seem to take the cake ! Were going to be allowed 20 rounds to purchase per month pretty quick.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »
Thanks Y'all that seems like sound advice. Do you think there's a possibility that Trump would rescind and lift Obutthead's bans on the importation. I think I will sit on these a while longer but at some point, I do wanna move to the great state of Idaho and will probably need to liquidate some of them. Or do some horse trading...I'd like to get a PSL or two. Two is one and one is none...

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »
Obama didn't ban thr Russian imports. That was during thr Clinton administration.

Given the current fever pitch surrounding the Trump/Putin bro-mance, the chance of lifting the ban probably had a better likelihood of happening during the previous administration than the current one.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the history lesson Boris. I had thought Clinton but I try to forget that name. The only Clinton I like is Clinton Montana. NearBoulder and Rock Creek. Trophy trout fishing In the Beaverhead and Deerlogde national forests...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
It would be very simple to add SVT-38s, SVT-40s and SKS-45s to the Appendix A list of allowable arms to be imported from Russia. GW Bush spent 8 years not doing it, Obama didn’t do it, Trump has shown his stance on the 2A through his actions recently, making bumpstocks illegal retroactive to 1934, and seizing property without compensation, so I wouldn’t expect him to do it either.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »
My favorite Clinton has always been George.