Retail Products & Gunsmithing Services > High Velocity Gunsmithing

AK Barrel Threading

<< < (2/3) > >>

shawker71:
Have you tried rethreading a MAK90 that has the threads taken down? I have wondered if is possible to have mine rethreaded. What does the OD need to be to thread it?

Power Surge:

--- Quote from: shawker71 on March 27, 2016, 03:18:56 PM ---Have you tried rethreading a MAK90 that has the threads taken down? I have wondered if is possible to have mine rethreaded. What does the OD need to be to thread it?

--- End quote ---

If it's already been threaded to standard AK size (14mmx1.0LH), and the threads have been removed, you wouldn't be able to go with that same size again. However, we could still thread it to a smaller size, like 1/2-28 used on ARs.

armedhippie:
Good stuff PS, I wondered why some brakes had 2 indent notches. Good to know a barrel could be threaded down to a smaller size if need be. Does threading it again ( for an AR brake) take to much metal off or not enough to make a difference on a 7.62 barrel?

Power Surge:

--- Quote from: armedhippie on March 27, 2016, 07:16:29 PM ---Good stuff PS, I wondered why some brakes had 2 indent notches. Good to know a barrel could be threaded down to a smaller size if need be. Does threading it again ( for an AR brake) take to much metal off or not enough to make a difference on a 7.62 barrel?

--- End quote ---

There's still plenty left even at 1/2-28. Here's the barrel on my SKS bullpup project, machined to 1/2-28 on the lathe...

shawker71:
Another question on doing a MAK90 in the 1/2x28, would the FSB has to be pressed off in order to thread it properly or can you do it with it on? Would this be an extra charge? Just questions I am asking because CNC Warrior makes a slant brake in 1/2x28 and I could at least give the appearance of being more AKMish.

SHawker

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version