Author Topic: Public/Police Security  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Public/Police Security
« on: September 03, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
RM/All, Did a search here and found RM's 2017 post (list of) SKSs sold. The GB listing number is long gone for a nice Public/Police Security /0146\ that sold for $750.
Any clues on what these 'limited' PSs in very good condition would go for these days? (CW is KFS brought in 3,000 on an exclusive deal with PolyTech). A genuinely minty one sold on GB for $900-ish last year - waaay over my budget. Got a line one but don't want to blow my ammo money by overpaying. TIA

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Public/Police Security
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 01:47:42 PM »
Didn't you just list the auction with one selling for a $1000?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 06:14:56 PM »
I'm afraid I honestly don't know what one would be worth during these days of lunacy.   If I was buying one, I'd pay maybe a $25 to $75 premium over a std SKS (and that only because the PS guns are always really *nice* looking guns with minimal use, dings, replaced parts etc.). 

Truth is, they are just std SKSs that have the PS stamping on them.  Do those two characters mean the gun is worthy of a hefty premium?  That's a question only you can decide. 

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 03:31:11 AM »
I'd really like to know more about the PS stamped guns. Did they get any extra care/treatment? Was the phosphate coating on the bolt and bolt carrier used specifically for the PS guns? As RM said, many of the PS guns are really nice. (Disclaimer: I do have one, so yeah, I'm biased.  wink1 ) But without knowing exactly what the PS process was, I'd have a hard time paying "lots" more than a standard SKS in the same condition. Was it just the 公安 stamped onto a rack gun? Or was there a specific process?

KFS was the only importer for the PS rifles. Da Keng (owner of Kengs Firearm Specialty) was in the design process for Polytech and premium products at both /416\ and then the Polytech 386 arsenals. He was the only one that imported the PS guns so surely he would have more info on these rifles. When I purchased the "Letter of Authenticity" from KFS for my PS rifle, they were very helpful and I wish I had asked more questions about the PS guns then. I may try again and see what info I can glean. I think his son, David Keng, has taken over the responsibilities of the company now. But, it can't hurt to ask.  dntknw1 

firstchoice

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
I agree wit
I'm afraid I honestly don't know what one would be worth during these days of lunacy.   If I was buying one, I'd pay maybe a $25 to $75 premium over a std SKS (and that only because the PS guns are always really *nice* looking guns with minimal use, dings, replaced parts etc.). 

Truth is, they are just std SKSs that have the PS stamping on them.  Do those two characters mean the gun is worthy of a hefty premium?  That's a question only you can decide. 

+1

The handful of Public Security I remember seeing in the 2-3 years before Covid didn't really seem to be going for much more than the premiums that  RM suggests +$25-$75. IIRC,  a couple of those auctions saw winning bids of $375 or less.

Covid asking prices might have a modest impact on current PS value-- $absurd-covid-price + PS premium.

Regardless of who's in office in Jan 21st, I expect--i.e. hope--  the spike in the market will begin to drop by spring. popcorn1

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
I paid $400 for mine a few years back. Actually $800 for 2 Chinese SKSs, one of which was a PS. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »
I was happy to pay $326 four years ago and would pay about $124-149 more today if I didn't have one...but I'd be rather unlikely to get one in that case rofl Of course, that wouldn't be my selling price  chuckles1 because capitalism  geezer1

They are gorgeous SKSs. The looks and the two Hanzi characters are certainly cool  8) but not an extra $400-600 cool in my book  :o

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 07:43:22 PM »
Very nice.Did you highlight with the white paint?Or was it originally issued like that?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »
Very nice.Did you highlight with the white paint?Or was it originally issued like that?

It was that way as received. I've left it as is. I'm not as excited by the import marking as the previous owner was  :)) , so I might clean out the KFS ATL GA portion

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »
BTS, et al, the 1K all in PS is still up for 'sale' (I use the term loosely). I have four PSs, paid $375+ for the nicest of the four. Despite the limited import, 3K; I agree, it's absolute lunacy to fork over an additional 4-6 hunnert for one - even these days. I think the jury is still out on the post-election calm down on prices. BUT, we could see a major scramble on all semi-auto prices - IF/IF legislation is introduced banning or prohibiting the import of milsurp ("meant for war"), magazine-fed long rifles. The pinned, 5rd Canadian thing comes to mind.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »
My mistake, I took that $1k as sold. I've been doing drive been posts and reading just as fast. I'm home for a bit and get called into work. I need to slow down a bit when I'm reading.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
Here's a PS that the seller didn't actually highlight in the ad. $650 plus the usual.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878019738

Offline insider

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 08:34:40 PM »
Here's a PS that the seller didn't actually highlight in the ad. $650 plus the usual.

Interesting that has later model parts, yet it has a milled trigger guard.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 02:23:11 AM »

Interesting that has later model parts, yet it has a milled trigger guard.

Mine is identical to the /416\ PS gun in the auction, with milled trigger guard and all. Only exception is that mine has a walnut stain on the wood from the factory. That was confirmed for me by KFS.

Welcome to the board, BTW! I guess you've been a member for a couple years but your first post, anyway!

firstchoice