Author Topic: Letter Chinese with phenolic stock  (Read 368 times)

Offline johnskiold56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Letter Chinese with phenolic stock
« on: February 27, 2024, 04:28:39 PM »
(Edit, I split this topic from the Israeli Sticky) -RM

Any ideas?  It's a Chines import by CAI St Alb

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:30:58 PM by running-man »

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
Re: Re: The Lebanon War, Israeli Capture SKS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 04:32:44 PM »
Refurbed 59-60 letter 4 digit serial.  but why did they blue the bolt carrier before export?  Could this be one that was supposed to go the the Middle East but stayed in China and later exported to the US?  Was someone at the sks files looking for an "L" letter one to add to their page?  Certainly it's not a cryllic letter?  It looks like today would be called a "New Courier" font "L"????

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Re: The Lebanon War, Israeli Capture SKS
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 05:30:10 PM »
That letter is either a "G" or an "L" (there is debate even among the admin here...LC thinks G, I lean towards L).  The Chinese had odd looking Latin lettering with additional tails in many of the carbines of the '59 to '60 timeframe.  (C, D, G/L, P, T etc.)

We would need a full spread including a clear photo of the import mark to make an estimate on whether it's an IC or not.  It's highly unusual that the phenolic furniture would have been on that carbine at time of import, but it could have been.  Again, photos will tell the story, post them and you'll get some knowledgable members to chime in.

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
Re: Letter Chinese with phenolic stock
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 06:36:40 PM »
Looks like an L to me?   

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:09 PM »
Put my vote in the  G column!

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 10:16:51 PM »
Yeah looks like a G to me. As long as thats not a scratch at the top . The nine next to it has identical wear as the top of the letter. The pic of the receiver looks like an L  ::)

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 10:38:12 PM »

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 10:40:31 PM »
Should I replace the stock with a used wooden stock for screw in barrel?  Or keep as is.  Remove the blued/painted bolt back to in the white? 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:26:10 PM by johnskiold56 »

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 11:54:07 PM »
Should I replace the stock with a used wooden stock for screw in barrel?  Or keep as is.  Remove the blued/painted bolt back to in the white?

I vote G and leave it be. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 12:01:29 PM »

I have to agree on the G , nice rifle  thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 12:03:00 PM »
I vote G and leave it be. PAX

Agreed, why make it something it's not?

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 09:40:44 PM »

Every part except the stock is matching and early type.

Yah not going to mess with it.  Is this one that was destined for the PLO/Lebanon but stayed in China for some reason?

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 04:04:36 PM »
Importer's mark on the front right of the barrel is written

CAI ST A VT
SKS 762 CHINA

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 04:15:01 PM »

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 04:59:02 PM »
Not sure if this was sand or not;  a bit tan-ish for rust?

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 05:32:35 PM »
Cleaning kit and bolt with matching serial # to all other parts of the rifle, except the stock which is a dark red phenolic.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 02:29:35 PM »
That's one of the very very early CAI stamps.  With that and the other features (yes I'd say that could easily be sand in the crevices of the receiver), it's highly likely it's an IC gun imported during the early to mid 80's.

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 10:02:08 AM »
Why does the import stamp have CHINA on it?  Do they have to put the country of original manufacture on them?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 01:50:46 PM »
In short, yes.  § 478.92 covers the marking of firearms both manufactured and imported in the United States:

§ 478.92 Identification of firearms and armor piercing ammunition by licensed manufacturers and licensed importers.

(a)

(1) Firearms manufactured or imported by licensees.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, licensed manufacturers and licensed importers of firearms must legibly identify each firearm they manufacture or import as follows:

(i) Serial number, name, place of business.  By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or otherwise placed on the frame or receiver thereof, an individual serial number, in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The serial number must not duplicate any serial number placed by the licensee on any other firearm. The frame or receiver must also be marked with either: their name (or recognized abbreviation), and city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where they maintain their place of business; or their name (or recognized abbreviation) and the serial number beginning with their abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to the unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., “12345678-[unique identification number]”; and

(ii) Model, caliber or gauge, foreign manufacturer, country of manufacture.  By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof, certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

(A) The model, if such designation has been made;

(B) The caliber or gauge;

(C) When applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer; and

(D) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

Older import mark requirements were much less restrictive than these and they evolved as time passed.  In fact, the first three / last three digit FFL # as a replacement for name/location of the mfgr/importer at the end of part (i) is a totally new one to me.  I have not seen any firearm like that in the wild before I don't think, but will now look and see if I can find one!

Online jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2024, 11:45:11 PM »
Nice rifle, johnskiold56! I vote for leaving it as-is. And this brings to mind a question (that I may have asked here, but don't remember): has anyone seen a phenolic stock with believable serial numbers that match the rifle? I haven't personally, but with the SKSguy45's recently-imported "jungle carbine", it make me wonder if we might see some in the future...