Author Topic: Second Possible Israeli Capture: 1967  (Read 432 times)

Offline jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Second Possible Israeli Capture: 1967
« on: November 29, 2023, 10:32:33 PM »
Here's the second rifle I've mentioned; I didn't think to check the rear sight when I photographed the rifle for a Cyrillic letter as per PAX's rifle on the Weebly Chinese guide page, and it will be a bit before I can do so. I like this one, but I have to admit that I was unsure of it's classification, even after I had it in hand. Particularly, the gas tube and the gas tube proofs: I'd like to know what everyone thinks about those, and whether they seem appropriate for such a rifle. Also note the patched buttstock at the top of the stock, just forward of the buttplate.

My first impression of the rifle's features is that if it IS a Israeli/Syrian/Whatever capture, it was NOT used after refurbishment. It is clean as a pin; anyway, have a look!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Second Possible Israeli Capture: 1967
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 10:46:14 PM »
Very nice.

Gets my vote for Israeli Capture.

The dual bayonet channel on a non-serialized, soviet laminate stock is a nice touch.

I've long suspected that the  black carriers on the IC carbines were blued, but this one looks like black chromate.

The dulled inletting around the forward crossbolt, suggests that it may have been an issued rifle (just my 2 cents). Compare to the sharp inletting around the wrist crossbolt.

Nice Middle East example, amazing condition.

Offline jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 11:08:57 PM »
Thanks Boris! It just seemed to be in too good a condition to be what it could be. I bought it based on what I thought it MIGHT be! I appreciate your comments!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 02:07:37 PM »
I agree with Boris.  No doubt in my mind that it's an IC and in great shape at that.  Spike cutout in the stock is a bit crude, typically they are a little bit nicer than that, but I have seen the "beaver teeth / dull butter knife" effect on these before.  I suspect they were individually hand done and the appearance of the final product a direct result of the skill of the individual doing the work.

I think your suspicions aroused by the gas tube markings are correct.  That is a Russian SKS tube.  Chinese year 12 /26\ gas tubes had moved on to the two piece design like this from S/N 12203504:

Here's a closeup comparison of the area where the two piece design is apparent that I use in the survey:

I wonder if it was easier to just swap the tube than to try and replace with the laminated handguard or if the original tube had enough issues that it needed replacement anyhow.  Either way, 90 out of 100 people aren't going to even notice anything off about it.  thumb1

Last thing is the S/N at 12,25x,xxx puts it right at the tail end of where they used the normal takedown lever.  Inverted takedown lever appears ~12,28x,xxx, so not too far away from the transition.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 02:13:00 AM »
Very nice IC!  thumb1 8)

Nothing new to add to BB?s or RM?s comments other than I like the buttstock repair. I?ve seen that type of repair on many Egyptian firearms but it?s not a practice unique to them.

Offline johnskiold56

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 04:41:23 PM »

all early features and all matchin letter L 4-digit.  Replacement resin stock for export.

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 12:07:37 PM »

Great looking carbine - nice photo spread  clap1

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 07:10:16 PM »

Great looking carbine - nice photo spread  clap1

Indeed, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798