Author Topic: Need tips for reassembling front sight......  (Read 4003 times)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Need tips for reassembling front sight......
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
So I've pulled that loose fiber optic front sight blade, and am going to install (mostly) standard internals. I have an aftermarket steel front sight post on the way from Tech-Sights, and a factory-original "front sight post stud" (the barrel that the sight adjustment tool forces left or right), coming from Deset Fox.
Given how much torque it takes just to adjust this piece for windage when on the rifle, my concern is getting the damn thing inserted into the front sight.
I've read that getting it out is pretty tough, so I imagine getting one back in will be even tougher.
Any advice ? Thanks........

(BTW, the main part of the front sight is fully attached to the barrel, I'm just talking about installing the small internal parts that can be adjusted vertically and horzontally. Also, this front sight is an aftermarket unit made for barrels that have been cut down to partrooper size. I believe it's the: "SKS Paratrooper Front Sight (By Bullet ButtonŽ)". I've measured the hole for the sight stud, and it's identical to the hole on a original Chinese sight.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:20:25 PM by KILLDOZER »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Need tips for reassembling front sight......
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 03:23:55 PM »
Not sure I understand what the question is...

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »
 My bad, I guess in my attempt at clarity, I made it even more confusing.  I'm talking about the steel barrel that is pushed left and right by a sight-adjustment tool,(to adjust for windage). Desert Fox calls it a "front sight post stud".
http://sks-files.com/index.php?action=post;topic=3553.0;last_msg=39872
I know they can be plenty difficult  just to adjust while they're already in the the front sight, and I've read that these can be highly difficult to remove, so I'm anticipating it being even harder to re-insert, and was checking to see of there are any 'tricks' to this.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
Well, based on the experience I had putting the one back in that I pulled for you from a sight block I had sitting in front of me....watch your effin fingers!  bat1
Buy a better sight tool than the ones you see available everywhere...as, they do half the job half assed....but at least have one, it kind of helps...I think.
I am half inclined to buy one of those fancy ones PolyTech made that cost around $30, the common ones truly suck....well, they are OK for getting the post OUT and only three times as crappy putting it back in...

A little oil couldn't hurt anymore than my finger does without it....best of luck keeping the post hole pointed up, you might get lucky...I didn't.  I am not even going to fight with it until

A: my finger quits throbbing and
B: I have a post to put into it....maybe two, one might get buggered using it as leverage to straighten the drum.....

Does anyone know the thread/pitch sitch on these posts?
It sure would be nice to find something other than another post to try rectify a post that is at 2/3rds staff....

Note to Self: Self, don't remove those damn sight drums unless you have a damn good reason to...like, it's gold or somethin'.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »

Thankls for all the good info,Justin, but this comment kinda lost me.....
Well, based on the experience I had putting the one back in that I pulled for you....
We (or just me) must've lost something in the translation, but if you went to any trouble on my account, I appreciate it, and apologize.
BTW, I have a very small sea-clamp, that's still a good bit larger than the sight adjustment tool. I'm thinking this would provide more leverage and torque than the cheesy sight adjustment tool I have. (which reminds me, I better start searching for all this stuff, today!!)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
No biggy, I had a troublesome sight that I pulled the drum from because you were looking for one...I kind of got distracted looking for a sight post, and ended up cleaning out my garage partially. :)

A C-clamp probably would be better than the sight tool, and perhaps the new fancy ergonomically designed tools would even be better than the similar yet inferior one I have. It is a bit of a chore to keep it lined up with the hole without going wonky, at least on an original site. Your Prince50 (bullet button) sight might be a little nicer to you.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
Arbor press or a see-clamp   :)) would be my guess.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
OK, this is really getting tedious and discouraging. The sight stud arrived today, and I had my C-clamp ready. I checked to make sure the new sight post would thread in ok, and it did. So i removed it, and checked how tight the stud was in the main front sight, and the damn thing went right into the hole in the front sight, and slid out the other side !!
There's no friction whatsoever! It's obviously the right piece, and the fit is almost tight, but it isn't.
Any suggestions on how to get a tight fit ? There's an indentation on one side (of the stud), and I was thinking I could hit it with a steel punch, to flair out the stud a tiny bit, but that might also just compress the threaded hole.
I have no idea what to friggin' do here.  :(

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
Thats a peen mark... made to make it tighter in its hole.  I would repeat the peening on both sides around the hole until its tight.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
OK, thanks LC, I'ma give it a try !! I've installed the two pieces in the front sight post, and I need to set up the whole "support infrastructure" I'll need to start wailing on it !! (I wish I had a better feeling about this than I do, LOL!! )

edit: I'm still reluctant to start beating on this thing with a hammer, given that I don't actually know WTF I'm doing, LOL!!!
I'm still acquiring info and advice (or trying to).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:19:41 AM by KILLDOZER »