Author Topic: Receiver cover mount set screw mod  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Catmandoo

• Public Nuisance
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Receiver cover mount set screw mod
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:29:49 PM »
I wanted a red dot on my sporter so I bought a Yugo receiver cover to practice on. The cover was a little long so I filed it for a nice tight fit and installed a gun show find rail. On goes the red dot, sighted in and was popping clay pidgeons on the ground at 100 yards. Cool !

The next outing I was trying out some reloads and all of a sudden I was not even on the paper, checked and the cover had worn in and worked loose. Damn !

Not wanting to modify the rifle with the 1/4 bolt mod I decided to drill and tap the cover for a set screw. The set screw tightens against the cover retaining pin and holds the cover nice and tight. I have not made a range trip yet but will report back when I get the chance to put it to the test.

The set screw is 10x24 and 3/8th's long. If it loosens off I will add a lock nut and longer set screw to the equation and give that a try.

Here are the pics :

A gun is similar to a parachute, if you need one and dont't have it chances are that you will never need one again.

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
Re: Receiver cover mount set screw mod
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
I like it!  I absolutely refuse to drill a hole through my receiver for the other mod.  I like this one much better.  Let us know how it holds up and how well it holds zero.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »
May be a real nice way to tighten up a cover as apposed to removing the takedown lever and using a 1/4" bolt.... think thats what adam is referring to.

Let us know it works.    thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
Cool, I did a mod on a cover like that once. I used my 6000lb Bobcat for the tool to mod it  rofl rofl2

Photo removed due to the extremely violent nature at which an aftermarket item was killed. thumb1

OK, seriously, I have another unmolested cover, I am embarassed by this fact, so he who wants it, PM me a mailing address, I'll ship it to you, FREE, at the end of next week. OR this other cover meets the same doom!!!! thumb1

First come, first served, state and local laws apply, no freebies to underage goofballs, come on getcha a free gumpy azz railed cover for nothing, whata bargain!  thumb1
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:52:06 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
I'll take it!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
Cover spoken for. thumb1

It is an interesting mod, I like it cause it maintains the orginial cover. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem