Author Topic: Change of rifles  (Read 2484 times)

Offline ArkSlim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Change of rifles
« on: December 27, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
Currently have a Century AK47 in a Tapco stock. Have read that it is possible that sks's are better general purpose rifles (not sure I am presenting this in the right way). If I could find an sks-d and work some kind of exchange  for my AK , would this be an improvement on my part. The AK I have even with the nice stock does not feel as solid as my 56 sks. Realize there will only be small difference of opinion on this !  wink1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: Change of rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
In my experience,  the AK platform is generally lacking in accuracy while the SKS is usually better built.   I had an Egyptian MAADI with a 21" barrel and groups at 100yds were all over the target, while my 16" Norinco "Paratrooper" gave consistantly 2" to 3" groups at the same distance.  If you can find an SKS 30 (D), SKS Sporter (M), or the like, again, in my opinion, you'll be better served.  I know there are those out there that swear by their AK variants, so I'm sure you'll get a wide range of responses.  Cheers, Bruce.

P.S. There are plenty of videos that show slow motion firing from the front or front right.  From what ivd seen, the SKS is stable when firing while the AK flexes like a sidewinder.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:21:50 PM »
In my experience,  the AK platform is generally lacking in accuracy while the SKS is usually better built.   I had an Egyptian MAADI with a 21" barrel and groups at 100yds were all over the target, while my 16" Norinco "Paratrooper" gave consistantly 2" to 3" groups at the same distance.  If you can find an SKS 30 (D), SKS Sporter (M), or the like, again, in my opinion, you'll be better served.  I know there are those out there that swear by their AK variants, so I'm sure you'll get a wide range of responses.  Cheers, Bruce.

P.S. There are plenty of videos that show slow motion firing from the front or front right.  From what I've seen, the SKS is stable when firing while the AK flexes like a sidewinder.
Well, don't know how that happened.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:40:16 PM by Bacarnal »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
An AK or SKS is only good as the person who wields it and practices with it, same as changing ammo, that alone can make a difference in a rifles accuracy. And realistically, they are two totally different weapon systems, one is semiauto, the other was designed to be full auto, and neither were designed with sniping in mind. To say Ak's or Ak variants are not accurate.. depends.. my PSL will do it's part at 400-500 yards if I man up and do mine, same with either of my MAK90s, NHM91 or my AK-74. One I can say, it's a hybrid of the SKS and AK, and will out do either...is my Vz.58... lower weight, lower recoil..
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 03:47:14 AM »
I agree with GM, they are two very different weapon systems. I've learned that if I want to go "plinking" with lots of rounds, I use the AK. In my experiences, the AK dissipates the heat quicker and is easier to handle as the heat rises with round count. I love the SKS, but after 20-30 rds in any type of "rapid" or continued semi-auto firing, the SKS heats up the forend to the point of being uncomfortable. And you will feel the heat. That was the one option that the Tapco stocks had that I thought would come in handy for the SKS. The forward verticle grip. (And the well ventilated upper handguard didn't hurt either.)

I've heard arguments on both for accuracy. It comes down to how much you're going to train with either system and how well you use the rifle's limited range capacity. I watch these guys on the Youtube channels make accuracy with AK's look easy. But they shoot a ton of ammo and they got the basics down of how to aim and how to use the sights correctly. I highly recommend researching the correct way to use the AK's sights and the correct aiming methods for the AK. It will make all the difference in your accuracy results using the iron sights.

I like both. I own both. If I was standing on the roof, keeping the "Zombies" at bay, I'd have the AK in my hands. But I'd have an SKS close by, too. I wouldn't want either system used against me by a competent marksman. 

firstchoice

Offline ArkSlim

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
Unless I am mistaken either the SKS "D" or "M" can have  larger mags than the oder sks. That would gibe the accuracy of the sks and the bigger shot advantage of the ak. I am not a real good shot due to several factors so I'll not be driving tacks at 300 yds. but can still hit a person size tgt. at around 100 yds.   Saw an article saying that the sks made in 70 was the best overall made of the China imports?

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »
What has been said above is good info.  I do not think that one is inherently superior than the other in the accurazy department.  It I were you and you are able to own both, that is what I would do.  I had a WASR 10 at one time but sold it off and now regret getting rid of it.  I do have the SKS and it is not going anywhere if I can help it.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
If you can trade for an SKS with AK mag compatibility, do it. Most likely you’ll have to add a couple of Benjamins unless the guy doesn’t know his SKSs or AKs. Century AKs do not have a good reputation, so it is not going to bring as much to the table in trade value.

I own multiple AKs and SKSs and like them both. They’re both reasonably accurate in the right hands with a quality rifle. The SKS as designed by Simonov, milled, long-lug threaded barrel, integral easily reloaded magazine, is built like a tank. Given that the AK variants we have ready access to are semiautomatic only, I don’t see a big advantage to the AK with its heavy detachable 30 round mags. They’re shorter and with an underfolder or side folder variant are quite compact and lighter than an SKS for bugout applications. You can quickly lose that weight advantage if you carry 4 or more 30 round magazines vs. an equivalent amount of 7.62x39 on stripper clips for your SKS.

The AKs have a much broader quality spectrum and warrant caution in selecting one.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »
Unless I am mistaken either the SKS "D" or "M" can have  larger mags than the oder sks. That would gibe the accuracy of the sks and the bigger shot advantage of the ak. I am not a real good shot due to several factors so I'll not be driving tacks at 300 yds. but can still hit a person size tgt. at around 100 yds.   Saw an article saying that the sks made in 70 was the best overall made of the China imports?

Larger magazine just increases the odds or probability of a shot.. it's still up to the shooter in the end on what he does with 3 rounds or 30 rounds. A well versed serious shooter may get 30 out of 30 in a target... a less practiced shooter 17 out of 30 and someone with no clue really, maybe 5 out of 30. Two rifles even with sequential serials will shoot differently, they will do their intended job though. One could hand a Blaser R93 LRS2 Sniper rifle to a average Joe Shmo, sure he could shoot it, but would he know how to exploit every ounce off accuracy out of it?? Practice pays off in dividends... I own many.. but practice with a select few.

So many factors come into play.. for instance...a milspec SKS vs. a commercial AK.. longer barrel/sight radius..more weight for recoil control, a little less moving mass when fired, longer stock to dampen harmonics.. just a few things. Para SKS vs. commercial AK.. almost the same except sight radius..  Milspec SKS downside... bayonet hanging, excess weight, can be finicky with high cap mags. Even some Para's can be finicky with mags...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:25:26 AM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 11:41:12 PM »
Get both platforms if you can.
I like both for different reasons. It is really nice to have one round for 2 different platform.

Set zero with one type of ammo and stay with that ammo whenever possible. I think if you do that, you'll be a happy guy with 2 rifles.....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline ArkSlim

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
I currently have a Century Arms AK in an adjustable stock  with a number of points to add more goodies (never shot). I also have a  pretty stock SKS with matching #'s and in good shape. Based on the above innfo. probally should keep what I have and add to my ammo supply and practice,practice,practice ? ;)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »
I'd say that's a fair assessment.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 04:40:42 PM »
Yes indeed, buy more ammo!   thumb1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »
What's a person in California with 10,000 rounds of Ammo?  A right wing survivalist/nutjob/terrorist, etc.

What's a person in Texas, Kentucky, well, the South with 10,000 rounds of ammo?  Well, making a fair start, but gots a ways to go, Bless your Heart.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 10:49:54 PM »
Try different brands.. see which rifle likes what brand ammo.. then hoard.........I mean buy a few boxes. :)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 12:32:01 AM »
What's a person in California with 10,000 rounds of Ammo?  A right wing survivalist/nutjob/terrorist, etc.

What's a person in Texas, Kentucky, well, the South with 10,000 rounds of ammo?  Well, making a fair start, but gots a ways to go, Bless your Heart.

rofl  chuckles1

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 04:56:09 AM »

thumb1   When you start making furniture adaptations like coffee tables, night stands, etc., with your ammo "supply" you'll know you're on the right track.  chuckles1  I'll look under papers, a blanket, or whatever, and find a box, a few boxes, or a crate or two of ammo and chuckle. It's like a perpetual Christmas!  chuckles1

I currently have a Century Arms AK in an adjustable stock  with a number of points to add more goodies (never shot). I also have a pretty stock SKS with matching #'s and in good shape. Based on the above info. probally should keep what I have and add to my ammo supply and practice, practice, practice ? ;)

Which one do you prefer to shoot? Or, which one feels more natural, more pleasant to shoot? You may not have fired your Century AK yet, but have you fired an AK and your SKS about equally, to a point you feel that you can make a preference judgement/decision?
If you have to make an either/or decision, I'd suggest shooting both a couple hundred rounds each to see what works best for you. (using your Century AK.)

But this is just my opinion. Others will have better suggestions.

firstchoice

Offline ArkSlim

• Cadet
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the useful information.