Author Topic: Any Deals on 7.62X39 Ammo?  (Read 6609 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Any Deals on 7.62X39 Ammo?
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
I haven't purchased any 7.62X39 ammo since the sale of Yugo M67 from sportsmansguide a month or so ago. I am looking to pick up some good plinking ammo, and stop shooting up so much of my GT stash. Are they any deals out there, or what is everyone shooting in their SKS's?

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
Re: Any Deals on 7.62X39 Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
I get what ever is cheapest.  For storage or my long term stash I go for laquer coated.  Not a lot of options on that any more as most are now poly coated. I'll do a quick look around and see what I can find on the cheap.  What is the lowest price you have found so far?  Also what is your zip so I can include shipping while I look.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
I get what ever is cheapest.  For storage or my long term stash I go for laquer coated.  Not a lot of options on that any more as most are now poly coated. I'll do a quick look around and see what I can find on the cheap.  What is the lowest price you have found so far?  Also what is your zip so I can include shipping while I look.
Adam, I got an email from SGAMMO today that had Brown Bear at $.22/round. +$22 shipping for 1000 and $14 for 500. Zip code is 68505.
Thanks
Brian

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
I think the deals are few and far between these days Brian.  I bought some Wolf 124 gr HP (8m3-ish) right before the Russia Kalashnikov sanctions 'mini-panic' and I think I paid somewhere around 24 or 25 cents a round shipped to my door. 

If I was in the market for some and was buying *right now*, I'd likely go with: 1000 rounds - 7.62x39 FMJ 123 Grain Brown Bear Polymer Coated Steel Case Ammo | SGAmmo.com  Pretty hard to beat Brown Bear for consistency anymore it seems.

SGAmmo sells it in 100 round lots that's the same unit price as buying the case.  22 cents a round + shipping isn't horrible.  It's not awesome either though; I'd consider a 'deal' to be in the 20 cent per round realm these days.  SGAmmo sent out an email before Christmas saying they had something like 48 GT cases coming in and they were gone within minutes.  Interestingly enough, in the same email, they indicated that a 'regular' shipment (I'm assuming that would be several hundred cases) of GT would be arriving in March, so it might be best to wait it out a bit and spend the 23-24 cents a round for some quality GT.  thumb1

P.S.  I totally whiffed on the Sportsman's Guide M67 sale.  Left it too long and by then they had jacked the price up to almost double.  It's still a bit cheaper than the ridiculous Samco shipping charges, but I don't get as excited as most do about the M67.  It's good stuff, but it's not head and shoulders above everything else good from my experiences.

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
The only cheap laquer coated ammo I could find was here:  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-646

If you don care about laquer coating I would instead opt to purchase from sgammo.  Most brown bear is now poly coated.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies.
GM-I've never seen gun-deals.com, I usually look at ammoseek.com
RM-I have never shot any brown bear, have you had pretty good luck with it?
Adam- What is your desire for the laquer coated versus poly?

Has anyone used this?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-performance-ammunition/1000-round-case-762x39-soft-point-124-grain-wpa-wolf-military-cl

Right now all I have is FMJ, so didn't know if I should mix it up with some SP for about the same price?

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
The only cheap laquer coated ammo I could find was here:  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-646

If you don care about laquer coating I would instead opt to purchase from sgammo.  Most brown bear is now poly coated.

I'm with ya on the lacquer coated ammo Adam, Love the stuff. I have some I picked up around 2000 and its in great shape.

bbush, Lacquer coated keeps longer w/o worry of rust in " non-optimal" condtions. ( Keeps great w/o any special treatment really) Poly is fine as well, some just prefer the lacquer coated. It used to be all that was around but is getting a lil harder to find.

First time I got the poly coated... I had some loose rounds with dust rust in less than a year. I've had loose rounds of lacquer coated in various places and conditions for years just to see how they hold up. They hold up well.

I don't shoot often though. Poly is just fine if your looking to shoot 'em up. ( they hold well to if you take care of them...Lets just say I have a tendency... to maybe... not always take care of 'em like ya should  ;)
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
Thanks AH, I store all of my ammo is ammo cans unless I am out shooting. The stuff I am looking for now probably will be all shot up in the next 6 months to a year. Hunting season is coming to an end for me at the end of this month, so I will be out doing more plinking than I have been the last few months.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
gunbot.net is one place I have bought X39 for .20-.21 cents per rd.

GunBot 762x39 rifle ammo

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
I order from sgammo.

I have 1k GT stocked but now that it's hard to find, Brown Bear's my go-to for shooting and hoarding.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
I went ahead and ordered 500 rounds of Brown Bear from SGAMMO for $123.95 shipped to see how I like it. I just went with the poly due to the fact they won't be sitting around with time to rust.  :)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the B.B. Brian.  It makes pretty good plinking ammo.