Author Topic: Empty deflector?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Fooey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Empty deflector?
« on: July 23, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »
Has anyone come up with a way to deflect sks or AK  brass/steel cases so they pile up at your feet? I see some commercial ones that cover the bolt/chamber and make reloading hard.  TIA

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Empty deflector?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 04:44:53 AM »
I've seen the deflectors like you're referring to, Fooey. They sold them for use with scopes and they did ding the brass at times. Have you tried the brass catchers? There's a company that sells a hard plastic brass catcher. They're called the Rigid Brass Catcher, made by E&L Mfg. Inc. out of Riddle, Oregon. I have them for the SKS and the UZI and they work great for me. I use them if I need to keep my brass contained for whatever reason.

Not sure if you could modify the deflector type to drop the cases at your feet, or not. Anything's possible. (Except getting RM to buy a Mosin Nagant!  chuckles1 )

firstchoice

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 11:22:45 PM »
FC, Why I ought-a!  bat1  rofl

Another option is to interrupt the gas system so the rifle doesn’t function in semi auto mode. Lots of guys do that with the gas block switch on a yugo m59/66 to easily collect their spent cases. 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 11:37:37 PM »
FC, Why I ought-a!  bat1  rofl

chuckles1 chuckles1 Score.... FC 1.... RM 0   thumb1 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »
Has anyone come up with a way to deflect sks or AK  brass/steel cases so they pile up at your feet? I see some commercial ones that cover the bolt/chamber and make reloading hard.  TIA
Just get ya a Brass Magnet and pick them up!  whistle12  chuckles1   The steel ones are easy!  thumb1
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Online GuitarmanNick

• Cadet
  • Live each day as if it was your last!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
The only way you are going to catch SKS brass is with a catcher attached to the rifle. I picked up a CTK Precision universal brass catcher that looks like a big fishing net. Used it sitting on the bench, on a small tripod, on a taller tripod, propped up and angled over my rifle, and any other position I could think of at the range a while back. I am sure the RSOs had a laugh at my expense.

Out of 80 rounds fired, two ended up in the brass catcher. Some would hit it and bounce away, some flew in front of it, over it, behind it, and under it. I was fortunate to recover all but one case.

I was using handloads that are more consistent than any available factory ammunition, and the rifle was shooting very well. It just ejects brass all over the place. From what I have seen, many others have the same issue.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
It doesn't have to be that complicated. A cheap $3 tarp will catch all your brass, then grab the corners and pour into a pail. You don't give up any features that you like about the SKS.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Fooey

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 08:29:02 PM »
I thought about that too.  But would have to figure out where to stand for all my guns. :o   Then I thought I may hang it beside me with a loop in the bottom like the bottom of a "J" to catch brass.  Maybe a PCV framework that came apart.  Then I thought maybe a little piece of canvas hanging over chamber and down a couple inches so brass just drops on the bench or by feet.  Have not tried them yet.  Anyone else tried any of these?