Author Topic: Recommendation for reblueing small spot on SKS  (Read 1200 times)

Offline SCC30Arms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Recommendation for reblueing small spot on SKS
« on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »
When I took off the buttplate on my Yugo SKS, the buttplate trapdoor had rust on it. I removed the rust, but now there is a spot with no blueing on it. See picture below:

Any advice on what I should do to either reblue this small section or coat it with something so that the rust doesn't return? I would prefer not to get full fledged reblueing kit of some kind for something so small. I've never had to reblue anything before either.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Recommendation for reblueing small spot on SKS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »
Put some oil or grease on the trapdoor and the inside of the buttplate...done  thumb1

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »
Put some oil or grease on the trapdoor and the inside of the buttplate...done  thumb1
Agree. Preservation rather than restoration.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
rustoleum paint might work.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline SCC30Arms

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »
Grease or oil it is. Sounds like the most reasonable thing to do. Thank you all.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »
If you are bound and determined to re-blue it, wire wheel the area then spray with brake cleaner to get rid of residue. After that touch up with a cold blue chemical such as Super Blue you can get from Walmart. Wash off with cool water, blow dry, then apply gun oil/CLP.
If the rest of the rifle still has a nice finish I would do the above. Otherwise, grease and oil as mentioned.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 04:53:05 PM »
the problem with cold blues is it is only as good as the quality of the steel , for instance i have had miraculous results breathing new life in tent peg restorations (what i call rifles rusted to the point you have nothing to lose) , but some stamped parts not so much joy , the steel used on barrels and milled receivers is a high grade steel and with proper prep you can achieve remarkable results with cold blues  , small parts such as your trap door its a crap shoot , to me though the best cold blue out there is Brownells Oxpho Blue
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Marcus

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »
The problem with "cold blue" is that it is nasty, vile, evil smelling stuff.

Some folks have noses that don't work right and will never notice it, but  that nauseating goo stinks like a diseased tomcat pissed on a dead skunk  laying on a pile of rotten eggs.

I have passed on a lot of otherwise nice guns and sold off ones in my collection that reeked of that  toxic waste crap.