Author Topic: AR15.com de-platformed and implications for this site.  (Read 3237 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: AR15.com de-platformed and implications for this site.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »
Since this thread has now brought up a different issue, I want to clarify that I know RM didn't bring this up because he supports the aforementioned intolerant crowd on arfcom, but rather because if GoDaddy decided against hosting the arfcom site for anti-2A reasons, that is disturbing.

That should be obvious, as he was a co-author of the "Rules", including Rule 4.
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=20.msg62466#new

thumb1  Most definitely.  I honestly couldn't care less whether they thrive or fail on their own merits. Their mods, their rules, & their membership is their problem.   

My issue starts when an external group such as GoDaddy suddenly and arbitrarily decides to be judge, jury, and executioner of any given site on the web.  Censorship by non-governmental entities with diverse morals is a notoriously slippery slope and once it begins there is nothing to really stop until it burns itself out in the frenzy and chaos of mob rule.  We are very early in this process, perhaps there is time for cooler heads to prevail, but it would be extremely naive of us to assume that arfcom is only being targeted because they are a**holes and not because of the firearm aspect.   

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 02:27:10 PM »
I don't even go there. Arfcom is indeed a sewer for a number of reasons. I much prefer the milsurp collectors crowd. More mature and nicer people, as you can find here. This forum is a particularly friendly place.
agreed ,100% truth
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
.....but it would be extremely naive of us to assume that arfcom is only being targeted because they are a**holes and not because of the firearm aspect.   

This right here.
I have no love of Arfcom. I had (have?) an account over there years ago. That crowd definitely leaves a LOT to be desired.
That being said, all this cancel culture business is extremely dangerous.
I'm reminded of that old thing by the German Lutheran pastor Martin Niemöller. Perhaps it would be prudent for us all to refresh our memories by re-reading it.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 02:42:05 PM »

My issue starts when an external group such as GoDaddy suddenly and arbitrarily decides to be judge, jury, and executioner of any given site on the web.  Censorship by non-governmental entities with diverse morals is a notoriously slippery slope and once it begins there is nothing to really stop until it burns itself out in the frenzy and chaos of mob rule.  We are very early in this process, perhaps there is time for cooler heads to prevail, but it would be extremely naive of us to assume that arfcom is only being targeted because they are a**holes and not because of the firearm aspect.   

Absolutely. They went after Afrcom first because of its notoriety, and but I have no illusions about their views on ALL firearms (and their owners). This was a warning for us too.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 10:15:11 PM »
Hmmm...
"Incited violence" they say, yet no specifics as to language used.

Not sure I buy it, given what language was used on the 6th of January.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7