Author Topic: The Banner K, a wicked neat Mauser  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
The Banner K, a wicked neat Mauser
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
I just snagged this from my dealer's house the other night. Check it out.

It's a '34 Mauser Banner K, one of the final steps in the evolution of what would become the K98k. This was made for the civilian market by Mauser Oberndorf, but with the crippling repercussions on the German military by the Treaty of Versailles, it's easily possible this gun was surreptitiously destined for military service. It wears a mismatching Deutsche reichsbahn stock, but the gun's serial fits into the range known to be issued to the railway services and other civilian police organizations. Hey, say what you will about Hitler, and maybe rightfully so, but at least he made the trains run on time. He knew that a safe, reliable & prompt system of public transportation was a key to a healthy economy. These guns reflect that notion.

You can see where this Banner is only a few minor revisions away from the k98k as we know it today, the latter of which would be born in the same year as this Banner. Aside from the commercial proofs, the Banner logo on the receiver ring, the bolt relief & finger grooves in the stock, and the pinned-in front band, it's a spitting image of the k98k.

Once in awhile you'll come across the idea that the reichsbahn- & reichspost-marked rifles were actually diverted to the SA or the SS. I certainly know nothing about that, but Karem & Steves try to squash the theory in Karabiner 98k: "Perhaps the most compelling argument against the DRP and DR rifles being a scheme to clandestinely arm the SA/SS organization is the fact that police forces within Germany were always under scrutiny by the Inter-Allied Military Control Commission" (166).

That's all well and good, but doesn't that statement only intensify, rather than discredit, the notion that Germany and its various organizations might need to camouflage the intended use of their arms, with the help of Mauser Oberndorf using illusory markings?

At any rate, I don't foresee this rifle openly divulging any of its past. I just know it's a beautiful piece of engineering that traveled a captivating and mysterious path to my door. Enjoy some pics.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:51:46 PM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Re: The Banner K, a wicked neat Mauser
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »
Dang. :o  Now that's a cure for erectile dysfunction.  When you say you snagged it, do you mean you are now the legal owner?  Or did this "dealer" short ya on some other product, and you took his Mauser instead. chuckles1  jd 
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
I left no witnesses. So it's legally mine. Try testifying to the contrary.
Is it weird that I'm afraid to shoot it?
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."

-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »
Another nice one Kev.....    clap1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
 clap1 That's gorgeous, German craftsmanship at it's apex. Nothing compares to throwing the bolt on a pre war German 8mm. 98.  clap1

Extremely high on my want list.
LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »
Geeze Louise! That is an absolute gem! Color me green.  thumb1 I wouldn't dare lip off to the conductor with one of those slung over his shoulders. Any import marks? Does the bore look as good as the rest of the rifle?

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
Everything on this gun looks brand new, inside & out. No import marks. Shoots like a dream- silky & shoots right to POA @ 100 yards. What a piece of artwork. Looking at & handling it almost makes me misty eyed.

-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »
Blicero this is an absolutely beautiful specimen! Like Phosphorus said "color me green".

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:33:48 AM »
Thanks Danny. It's the cornerstone of my small Mauser collection. Even RM tried to sneak it away from me in a PM he sent. He won't admit it publicly, but he's falling in love with the allure & impeccability of German engineering. Said he'd trade me a Ghost SKS for it.
-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »
Thanks Danny. It's the cornerstone of my small Mauser collection. Even RM tried to sneak it away from me in a PM he sent. He won't admit it publicly, but he's falling in love with the allure & impeccability of German engineering. Said he'd trade me a Ghost SKS for it.

Running-man will come around Blicero...give him time!!  OK1