Author Topic: Corrosive Chinese Milsurp/Herter's (Rebranded Tula) questions  (Read 1078 times)

Offline echo83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Hello all,
     Went to my local store recently and was absolutely thrilled to find some 7.62x39. Seriously, it was that low.

It gets better. I picked up some Chinese ammo on stripper clips. (Which are nearly impossible to find in and of themselves. I ask every time I visit, and I've only had success once.) They were packed in white paper, three clips to a package. Cost was $4.95 per package, vs the $5.25 I usually pay for 20 rounds of Wolf or Tula.

Headstamp is 31 75, which leads me to believe they were made in 1975, right? Also, store owner told me they were very corrosive, which I have every reason to believe.

So I just wanted to confirm...this is steel core, corrosive right?

Also picked up a few boxes of Herter's 122 grain HP. My initial research suggests they can't be counted on to reliably expand, and should be reserved for range use. Fine by me. Headstamp is Tulammo, not sure why they re-branded, but my SKS has had no problems with Tula.

My Herter's research was a little less conclusive. The box says non-corrosive, and since it's made by the same fine folks who  made the Tula that I always shoot, it's non-corrosive, right?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Corrosive Chinese Milsurp/Herter's (Rebranded Tula) questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »
Herter’s is just Cabela’s house brand. They don’t make any ammo they just contract with ammo manufacturers who put it in Herter’s packaging. It’ll be non-corrosive.

The Chinese is as you surmised, Factory 31 made in 1975 with corrosive primers.

Offline echo83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:08:06 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it. What do you think of the Chinese surplus? Is there anything special about it? (Besides the gallon of boiling water I'll most likely have to flush my rifle out with after firing it?)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
Chinese surplus is good ammo. Nothing extraordinarily special. It has a mild steel core, it’s not AP. Some will pay good money for it though.

Yes clean the bore and gas system with water (I use a few drops of liquid laundry detergent), followed by WD-40 or similar water displacing spray, followed by normal cleaning and oiling.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »
Agree with Phos on all points.

I like to keep some on hand as it can be pretty good trade bait.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7