Author Topic: SKS scope mounting question  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Guitarhacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
SKS scope mounting question
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
Greetings. I'm new here and have a question about scoping my SKS with a solidly mounted scope that doesn't need major surgery (resighting) every time I go to shoot.

I went shooting last weekend and took the SKS as well as my Ruger 10/22. The Ruger shot a pattern that was practically dead on from last year. Just a few clicks off.  The SKS on the other hand wasn't even on the paper at the same distance from last year.

I have a chinese norinco SKS. I mounted a scope on it with a receiver cover replacement part with a rail.

The problem is, the cover tends to move and that plays havoc with my scope sighting.  I have been looking for a relatively simple replacement for the receiver mounted scope that would be more solidly mounted.  I looked at the Brass Stacker mount, but it's not designed for the norinco varients.

What recommendations do you have that would allow me to mount a scope on the rifle that stays true? It's a real pain to try to shoot accurately when the scope is literally moving on the rail and requires sighting in every time you shoot the rifle.

Offline Guitarhacker

• Newber
Re: SKS scope mounting question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:30:47 PM »
Another option I have considered is to upgrade the stock to one of those Tapco composite models with rails built in to the stock.

Has anyone used them and is that a viable option?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:15:22 PM »
If you don't care about originality, your BEST option is something permanently and solidly affixed to the receiver.

This will give you an idea how the commercial models did it back in the 80s/90s...

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/navy-smr.html

Now, most of those mounts are long out of production, but I would go with something like an AK side mount. Drill and tap the rail to the side of the receiver, and that setup will let you still remove the receiver cover and take down the gun without scope removal.

Just keep in mind, most rear mounted scopes will block you from using stripper clips. If you still plan to use stripper clips, you'll want to get a pretty short compact scope.

Offline Guitarhacker

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:45 AM »
That's kinda what I was thinking I would have to get. Something mounted to the side of the receiver so the scope would be solid.
As long as it's centerline above the receiver it's OK with me.  I was hoping for some sort of "easy install" aftermarket mount that could be removed but with the varient I have, ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. 

I don't use stripper clips so that's not an issue. The scope I have on it now is a short scope with a fairly low power..... I think 3x fixed with BDC .   It's a nice scope for the rifle if I can get it mounted better. 

I didn't really want to have to "smith" the rifle but I'm not too concerned about working on it to add a scope mount.

Now, it's just a matter of deciding which mount to get.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:03:13 AM »
What varient norinco do you have? Shouldn't be anything different on any chinese that would affect scope mounting....

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »
Greetings. I'm new here and have a question about scoping my SKS with a solidly mounted scope that doesn't need major surgery (resighting) every time I go to shoot.

I went shooting last weekend and took the SKS as well as my Ruger 10/22. The Ruger shot a pattern that was practically dead on from last year. Just a few clicks off.  The SKS on the other hand wasn't even on the paper at the same distance from last year.

I have a chinese norinco SKS. I mounted a scope on it with a receiver cover replacement part with a rail.

The problem is, the cover tends to move and that plays havoc with my scope sighting.  I have been looking for a relatively simple replacement for the receiver mounted scope that would be more solidly mounted.  I looked at the Brass Stacker mount, but it's not designed for the norinco varients.

What recommendations do you have that would allow me to mount a scope on the rifle that stays true? It's a real pain to try to shoot accurately when the scope is literally moving on the rail and requires sighting in every time you shoot the rifle.

Welcome aboard. Many have done the "tap through the cover" mod with success. I myself haven't, but I will at some point. It's my understanding that you can replace the lever and your rifle still appears stock. PM me if you have any questions about it. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline pip

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:10:48 AM »
That's kinda what I was thinking I would have to get. Something mounted to the side of the receiver so the scope would be solid.
As long as it's centerline above the receiver it's OK with me.  I was hoping for some sort of "easy install" aftermarket mount that could be removed but with the varient I have, ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. 

I don't use stripper clips so that's not an issue. The scope I have on it now is a short scope with a fairly low power..... I think 3x fixed with BDC .   It's a nice scope for the rifle if I can get it mounted better. 

I didn't really want to have to "smith" the rifle but I'm not too concerned about working on it to add a scope mount.

Now, it's just a matter of deciding which mount to get.

I recommend if your going the drill and tap the receiver route you get the choate machine and tool scope mount. Personally I would probably spend a little more and get the mag wedge quick rail. It is sturdy and gives plenty of real estate for optics mounting. I think this is the route I'm gonna go on a pig gun I'm building.

You could always tap the dust cover and run a button head screw through it! Just make sure you tap it all the way through the receiver with the dust cover on!

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
G-Hacker

I had some really good results with a receiver cover mount.  I have a post on this forum somewhere detailing its installation and performance.  I used an after market receiver cover, screwed on a very low profile rail, bent the retaining pin forward, and bent the two fingers of the receiver cover out.  The bending produced a very tight fit and allowed for some adjustment.  The rail I used had a milled out slot down the middle that allowed me to see under the scope and still use the iron sights.  Of course, stripper clips still worked!

http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2343.msg27188#msg27188

I have to learn how to make active links...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:02:48 AM by John Galt »
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »
The best and easiest way to do a good top cover mount is to start out with one of these cast bolt covers. They can be found on Ebay for about 28 bucks. The reason being they actually have enough steel to tap unlike the OEM machined covers. I bought a few and found they are all over sized and need to be filed at the 2 front tips to fit making for a no slop cover. I wanted a peep arangment that would work with an AK front sight so a low profile weaver rail was in order.

As for a permanent scope mount mod, I decided to go to Weaver again since they have a good aluminum scope mount available. What was not available was a base that would give center line receiver and steel to boot so that I had to machine and then weld onto the receiver.

I like a solid cheek purchase on the butt so low as you can go was my target and since I figured a L1A1 folding peep in this particular arrangement, every thing jelled just right.

I was going to mill a bunch of those steel bases up and never got around to it. The second one I had at the time go welded to a 30-40 Krag side plate for a bang around detachable scope hunting rig.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »
The best and easiest way to do a good top cover mount is to start out with one of these cast bolt covers. They can be found on Ebay for about 28 bucks. The reason being they actually have enough steel to tap unlike the OEM machined covers. I bought a few and found they are all over sized and need to be filed at the 2 front tips to fit making for a no slop cover. I wanted a peep arangment that would work with an AK front sight so a low profile weaver rail was in order.

As for a permanent scope mount mod, I decided to go to Weaver again since they have a good aluminum scope mount available. What was not available was a base that would give center line receiver and steel to boot so that I had to machine and then weld onto the receiver.

I like a solid cheek purchase on the butt so low as you can go was my target and since I figured a L1A1 folding peep in this particular arrangement, every thing jelled just right.

I was going to mill a bunch of those steel bases up and never got around to it. The second one I had at the time go welded to a 30-40 Krag side plate for a bang around detachable scope hunting rig.

Great job once again xt.

I picked up a starter Bubba that someone D&T a couple holes in a numbers matching Sinobanian, destroying it's collector value. I'm going to complete a side mount in stall, but I haven't decided what to use. I'd like to have it resemble a Briklee Hunter or Navy Arms Cowboys Companion, but it's tough to locate those mounts.

I dug up a couple mounts out of my LGSs junk box that will work, but they don't "look" the part. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798