Author Topic: Slight Mods  (Read 4620 times)

Offline FightingSide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Slight Mods
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »
Was at the gun show today and picked up a short piece of picatinny rail. I clamped the original 13mm dovetail to it and drilled some new holes to mount it to the existing Norinco scope mount. Test fitted the scope from my AK to it. Looks like it will work, but I will need to get some low profile rings.

And a photo of her brother that lent her the scope:

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Slight Mods
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »
Thats one way...     thumb1

Hows the height.... Looks like it may be hard to see through unless you put your chin on the stock?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »
 chuckles1

I just picked up one of those scopes a few days ago, and just yesterday was dealing with that damn proprietary mount....different rings aren't going to do it, that mount is coming along for the ride no matter what you do.  My rather sizeable amount of mounts either mount it into the stratosphere like you demonstrated, or those fixed mount bolts don't line up with the slots in the rail.  I considered drilling and tapping for a mount that rides over a standard cover, but didn't feel like going that route.  I thought about doing something along the lines of what you did, but the only cover I have that isn't to a matched gun is so ill fitting you actually hear it rattle when you fire....I wouldn't even mount a red dot to that thing....

There is a cheap rail mount that is designed to either tap into a cover, or be glued into place...that might do it, provided you get a new cover to work with.  I might try an NC Star mount that I have filed about 10% of its total weight off, that still won't fit properly...unless I switch over to a strange SKS I have that all the parts are slightly smaller than any other  SKS I have, it is my go to gun when I over filed.  It currently has a much nicer mount, that now will only work on that gun....but it is one of the higher see thru mounts. banghead1

Offline FightingSide

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »

Hows the height.... Looks like it may be hard to see through unless you put your chin on the stock?

The height is just a hair better horrible. The genius that designed this particular cover mount made sure it was tall enough to still be able to barely still use the iron sights. The bad part is that it puts everything so high that it is no longer a natural position to use anything attached to it.

Figured this would be the first thing to try, as I refuse to make any non-reversible modifications.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »

The height is just a hair better horrible. The genius that designed this particular cover mount made sure it was tall enough to still be able to barely still use the iron sights. The bad part is that it puts everything so high that it is no longer a natural position to use anything attached to it.

Figured this would be the first thing to try, as I refuse to make any non-reversible modifications.

They make aftermarket receiver covers that have a picatinny rail cast into them that sits much lower and it's easy as swapping your cover :)

Offline FightingSide

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »
chuckles1

I just picked up one of those scopes a few days ago, and just yesterday was dealing with that damn proprietary mount....different rings aren't going to do it, that mount is coming along for the ride no matter what you do.  My rather sizeable amount of mounts either mount it into the stratosphere like you demonstrated, or those fixed mount bolts don't line up with the slots in the rail.  I considered drilling and tapping for a mount that rides over a standard cover, but didn't feel like going that route.  I thought about doing something along the lines of what you did, but the only cover I have that isn't to a matched gun is so ill fitting you actually hear it rattle when you fire....I wouldn't even mount a red dot to that thing....

There is a cheap rail mount that is designed to either tap into a cover, or be glued into place...that might do it, provided you get a new cover to work with.  I might try an NC Star mount that I have filed about 10% of its total weight off, that still won't fit properly...unless I switch over to a strange SKS I have that all the parts are slightly smaller than any other  SKS I have, it is my go to gun when I over filed.  It currently has a much nicer mount, that now will only work on that gun....but it is one of the higher see thru mounts. banghead1

Just saw on amazon last night someone selling the same scope with a railed end cover for under $50. The proprietary mount is an absolute pain. the bolts are spaced as such that there's only 2 positions it will match up with on a standard picatinny. I had to widen a notch  via dremel on my AK mount to get it mounted in a position that worked for the eye relief.

As for the rings, this scope will be going back to the AK and the SKS will be getting a more standard scope like a cheap 3-9x40 or a Barska 4x like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6N8YE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_J0ikybGDVGPB9

On the other hand, I'm not a huge scope fan on a rifle like this. Delicate, shock sensitive optics seem kinda counterproductive on a rifle known for it's toughness...

Offline FightingSide

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »

They make aftermarket receiver covers that have a picatinny rail cast into them that sits much lower and it's easy as swapping your cover :)

That's likely the next route. The current setup is supposed to let you still use iron sights, but the scope mount is so narrow that you end up with a dark sight picture. At least with an aftermarket with the lower mounted rail I can switch back and forth, and not feel bad about tapping the retainer pin holes to anchor it a little better.