Author Topic: Newbie needs help with sks  (Read 6328 times)

Offline SKS newbie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Newbie needs help with sks
« on: October 25, 2016, 01:06:09 AM »
Hi just joined this forum today to gain more knowledge about this gun dad threw into my lap. I have no knowledge about this gun other than it's a Vietnam bring back ( but I have yet to see a bring back that's not wood stock) I don't know if dad just blowing smoke my way or if it's true but I'm trying to determine what type this gun is so I can get new stock for it the reason why I need a new one is someone sat on it in back of car an broke detachable stock will load pics to show what I need once I figure out how.

Offline SKS newbie

• Newber
Re: Newbie needs help with sks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »
Well tried to upload photos but if I continue im a turn green spike phone an track down the genius who thought it would be a good idea to yes other sites to upload photos instead of just a phone .......but the part I need is where the detachable stock goes on to the gun itself. only way I can fire my sks right now is holding it like scarface... as far as it's type I thought it had Japanese calligraphy on it but all info I've gotten said Russia an China only manufactures.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
Welcome to the boards. There are two ways to get photos displayed. The first is to open up an account with a free hosting site such as imagur, tinypic, flikr, etc. follow these instructions here: http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=87.0

The second way is to email your photos to me at running-man @ sks-file.com and I can post them for you.

As for your gun, let's figure out what you've got before you go replacing anything. If it is a VN bringback, it may be one of the big three (NVA, E. German, N. Korean) and worth north of $1k. In that case it would be better to try and fix the stock than it would be to replace it.  Even a run of the mill Chinese bring back is worth north of $600, though with those, papers and condition are key.  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
eBay sells wood stocks for it, just put in "sks rifle stock".  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline SKS newbie

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
Well I tried 2 different sites to get photos on here I'd much rather get a.email and send pics that way as for no changing stock I believe stock is not original I know.for a fact  that it was made in 57 I know it's a type 56 and it has a 366 triangle stamp so it's military issue... been doing a lot of research . I did however find a second serial number on left side and it's.all letters

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
Highly unlikely that a /366\ is a VN bringback.  I'll post the photos when you send them.  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 02:51:24 PM »
Does it have an import mark and/or an importer applied serial number?  If "yes", then it's not a bringback. Looking forward to pics.

Offline SKS newbie

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:41 PM »
I'll be able to take more pics tomorrow as I found a all wood stock and am going to clean it I don't know what the other serial number is for only that above it says sks with a series of letters messaged admin he said he'd post pics for me so just waiting on reply and I'll send a whole bunch

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
Does the serial start with a 15, 16, or 18?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
... I don't know what the other serial number is for only that above it says sks with a series of letters ...

Look something like this:

CAI ST ALB VT
SKS 7.62X39 CHINA

Offline SKS newbie

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »
Starts with 15 an the other serial number is
Sks
 CJA SFLD MI

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:44:46 PM »
That's not a serial number that's the importer's stamp, therefore it cannot be a bring back.

Still eager to see it  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:21 PM »
And...  It was made in 1970.    thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline SKS newbie

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
An that's u I joined lol thanx guys now I can blow dad's smoke right back at him