Author Topic: Chinese Bayonet Removal  (Read 7549 times)

Offline hawkeye4077

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Chinese Bayonet Removal
« on: December 14, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »
I am trying to remove the bayonet from the rifle so that I can rotate it so that it will seat properly inside the stock. Not exactly sure how to remove it though. Assistance would be appreciated.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: Chinese Bayonet Removal
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »
Sorry man but that bayo has a rivet instead of a bayo screw. You would need to replace the rivet to remove the bayo unless some1 else knows a way to remove 1 w/o damaging it.

Would you mind taking a few pics of where it seats in the stock? We might see something else that might help. Does it have "bayo hang" or something else? Now you can find rivets, so its possible that some1 put it on upside down stateside  but....I've mostly only seen that when they have a screw.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:25:05 PM »
The rivet is simply a straigh round shaft with a recessed or counter bored end when new.  When installed, the end is flared to keep it tight and from coming out.  You can reverse this process by using a drift punch or similar to drive/push the rivet back out and the flared portion will simply fold back to a cylindrical form with no flare..... Flip bayo and reinstall and flare with conical or round object in a vice.  This is the same way the rear sight block cam lever for the removal of the gastube is removed and reinstalled. 

Here is a new one thats not flared

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
Cool, Thanks LC...Didn't realize you could reuse 'em.  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
There is always the possibility it can become damaged in the removal process....  But it should be able to be reused atleast once before the metal fatigues and breaks.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
Don't forget to use a pushing tool having a small enough diameter for both it and the unflared material to pass freely through the hole.  I dont have one of these types of bayos anymore, but you may be able to press it out in a vice with a very small craftsman sicket on one side, and a larger socket on the other thats just large enough for the rivet to clear...  Make sense?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
Did other guns have a rivet besides the D?

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »
Hawkeye I know this does you no good but I found a really nice punch set recently that has 12-15 punches of various configurations and sizes. Small & sharp to round & blunt. If you ever run across a set like that it's a good investment to consider, they're handy as a pocket on a shirt!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:51 AM »
Did other guns have a rivet besides the D?
Definitely... I had a Six Corp rifle that was a riveted detachable. I've also seen a few others, but do not have the documentation......

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 05:06:33 AM »
I am trying to remove the bayonet from the rifle so that I can rotate it so that it will seat properly inside the stock. Not exactly sure how to remove it though. Assistance would be appreciated.

Seems odd that they would have riveted the bayonet in the wrong way during the original installation. Do you have pics of the bayonet nested in the stock?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »
The bayo "should" be removable. If you pull the collar way down, it should expose the hook portion that slips over the rivet.