Author Topic: Gas leakage  (Read 5477 times)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Gas leakage
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:53:05 AM »
So......I did not realize the amount of gas and the level of FTE that can be caused by worn out gas tube end!! I was having some serious failure to eject issues on one of my rifles. I checked what I thought was everything and then the obvious reached up and smacked me around a little......very humbling and a little embarrassing....anybody ever find a way to drive the end of a worn out (or stretched) tube into a smaller opening to shrink it back down some? Just curious....

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Gas leakage
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:20:53 AM »
Tubing cutter, just use the rollers and slowly tighten it while spinning the tube between the flat area on rollers.. Basicly, put the edge of the tube against the cutting edge.

Don't use the cutter part!! :)  I did this on a Chinese tube.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Well hells bells......I'll give that a shot! Thanks GM......

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:27:22 PM »
That's a great idea GM.  thumb1 It would leave the I/D smaller, while being even all around ( the hard part) and if it went to far, its easy to just swedge it back out a smidge with some needle nose pliers ( or a swedger if ya have 1). I like it  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
Apparently my tubing cutter needs more balls......I tried for about 45 minutes.....if it made it smaller....it wasn't much. I am thinking the gas block lip is smaller as well.....which sucks because I just had the fsb off and could have changed it out then. Think I'll try the paper towel trick wrapped around the tube and put a couple rounds through it and see where it sits.......

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »
I don't think you said what kind of SKS it is. Not a Yugo, is it?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
May have to force it into an internal morse taper sleeve or similar.  I have various silver coinring making tools I bought and made that can reduce the diameter clean.  All else fails, I can do it.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
It's a Chinese....milled tube......tough bugger. Thanks LC....I'll let you know if it kicks my butt......

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
I would first be sure the end of the tube is actually 'flared'.  You can reduce is back to having the same ID and the piston OD but thats it.  If all the gap is due to the gasblock, you wont be able to correct the issue by reducing the tube.  The piston still has to slide in the tube, so you really need to determine which component is responsible for the gap.

I would start with a set of calipers and measure the gasblock OD and tube ID of other chinese sks as comparison.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »
Do you have another gas block?   May have to do a combination of both.... Either spread the existing block or replace it, and verify/correct tube ID

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
Yep...I do have a couple gas blocks.....I suppose pulling the fsb back off won't kill me....lol.