Author Topic: Bolt Hold Open not working  (Read 18286 times)

Offline hawkeye4077

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Bolt Hold Open not working
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
Ok, everyone, I finally got to take my new SKS and 1st SKS out to the range. Shot well, but I have been having one very extremely aggravating problem. It seems that the bold hold open tab gets stuck down after the bolt runs over it, I can open the mag, pull the bolt back, and push it up with my finger, close the mag then let the bolt go forward and then when I pull it back again, it won't stay open. It seems like once the bolt runs over it it pushes it down just a little farther than the regular spring does and it gets stuck downward. I've cleaned and lubed the bejezus out of it to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:52:41 PM by hawkeye4077 »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Bolt Hold Open not working
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »
May be as simple as more Cosmoline and grime removal. Heat, spray solvent/oil, cue tips, work it back and forth...spray it down again.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
Keep in mind that the hold open tab is pushed up by the magazine follower after the last round. Make sure your follower is coming up high enough to push it up.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
The follower is coming up enough. It work's it just fine as long as the bolt has not been allowed to go forward. It's only after the bolt has been allowed to go forward and the pulled back again that the tab gets stuck down. I've gone over it several times with carb cleaner, and gun cleaner/lubricant to no avail, if I push it down flush as it would be after the bolt goes over it, it gets stuck and is very difficult to get back up.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
The follower is coming up enough. It work's it just fine as long as the bolt has not been allowed to go forward. It's only after the bolt has been allowed to go forward and the pulled back again that the tab gets stuck down. I've gone over it several times with carb cleaner, and gun cleaner/lubricant to no avail, if I push it down flush as it would be after the bolt goes over it, it gets stuck and is very difficult to get back up.

You lost me... why would the bolt go back forward if the hold open works and holds the bolt back? With an empty magazine, the bolt can't go forward unless you drop the magazine down, which would then let the hold open block to drop down since the follower isn't pushing up on it anymore.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »
Drive out the retaining pin and inspect channel of receiver and the tabs on the bho itself for anything obstructing its up/down sliding movement. Perhaps slightly file/smooth the tabs, grease, reinstall.  Make sure the follower tab at the rear is engaging the bho high enough for the bolt to catch... sometimes they have to be slightly bent upward for more lift on the bho.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
Ok, I know this is kinda of confusing to explain via text. I'm going to start from the beginning. So lets say

1. I've got the magazine open and holding the bolt back.
2. I then push the BHO up  with my finger.
3. I release the bolt and while holding the BHO up and let it catch the bolt.
4. I then close the magazine.
5. I pull back on the bolt and release and it goes forward as it should
6. If I then pull back on the bolt the BHO will not come back up and I have to repeat steps 1-5 to make the BHO work.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »
Drive out the retaining pin and inspect channel of receiver and the tabs on the bho itself for anything obstructing its up/down sliding movement. Perhaps slightly file/smooth the tabs, grease, reinstall.  Make sure the follower tab at the rear is engaging the bho high enough for the bolt to catch... sometimes they have to be slightly bent upward for more lift on the bho.

Could you possibly give me a little more direction on exactly where this pin is that you speak of.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »
Look on the side of the receiver where the bho is...  break down the whole gun first.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
Also to the MOD that moved my post. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, My SKS is original and not modded so I thought it belonged in the non modded section.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 08:08:50 PM »
Also to the MOD that moved my post. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, My SKS is original and not modded so I thought it belonged in the non modded section.

Not a problem Hawk!     Better fits the troubleshooting section that you may have missed. 

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 08:16:46 PM »
Look on the side of the receiver where the bho is...  break down the whole gun first.

I've got the gun broken down now are we talking about the small round one or the large square one behind the bho?

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:54 PM »
When you are holding the BHO down with the bold held back, does it snap back smartly up or does it drag?  Also does the bolt and receiver match serial number wise?  I have seen a couple of different BHOs and wonder if there is an incompatibility with the bolt if it is mismatched.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 08:22:54 PM »
It snaps back smoothly but not all the way it remains slightly raised until I either push it down flush which it then gets stuck down or the bolt runs over it and makes it stuck down and yes the bolt matches the wrest of the gun serial number wise

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »

I've got the gun broken down now are we talking about the small round one or the large square one behind the bho?

Small round one.... holds the bho from sliding out the bottom with spring above.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks. I was afraid of that. Been trying since I posted I had the gun apart and I cannot get it out. At least not with the punch in the cleaning kit.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
Use a real punch... drift out

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
Well dang. Looks like I won't be making anymore progress on it today if I can't get this pin out

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
Dont **** it up...  It will drive out with a good punch just smaller then diameter of pin. Solid surface helps.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »
I've got it on the table. As solid as anything I've got. Just will not go.