Author Topic: 1969 Soviet AKMSL (Photo Heavy)  (Read 574 times)

Offline Bunker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
1969 Soviet AKMSL (Photo Heavy)
« on: September 12, 2023, 05:08:03 AM »
Haven’t posted in a while, so thought I’d post my 1969 Soviet AKMSL for collectors who enjoy Soviet AKs. I posted it on “The AK Forum” quite some time ago but figured the AK collectors and enthusiasts on this site may enjoy it, since many who love the SKS also enjoy the AK to some degree.

Some background and history on this AK. It’s all original to include Soviet AKM barrel, with a few exception parts that are not Soviet that I’ll point out. All the parts have matching serial numbers. This started out as a 1969 Izhmash RGUNS “hand select” parts kit. My dear friend Brendyn (aka BR7.62) completed this build in January 2021. IMHO Brendyn is by far the best AK builder/machinist in the business, bar none. He has done other builds for me and his work is exceptional in all aspects. Anyone would be hard pressed to disagree with Brendyn being the best the AK world has ever seen, and there has and are some really good builders out there. Unfortunately, Brendyn stopped doing builds and this AK was one of his last builds. It took me several years to acquire all the original Soviet parts and accessories from a few of my dear friends in Russia, and Brendyn was the only guy I wanted to do this build.

The NSP-3 (GRAU Index 1ПН27) scope, PBS-1 (GRAU Index 6Ч12) device and slotted frame arrestor with serial number are also all original Soviet produced. The scope is extremely rare and only a few exist anywhere. Literally just a handful exist. The PBS-1 and serialized slotted flame arrestor are also very rare. The sling and ammo pouch are both dated “1969”, same as the rifle. The Non-Soviet exception parts are the following:

1) 74ULLC (David Riggs) Receiver with matching serial number (David stopped making receivers but arguably his receivers were the best and most accurate, to include the markings).
2) Polish left-side underfolder buttstock strut (the rest of the stock is an original Soviet underfolder buttstock - correct year).
3) Custom side rail made by a friend in Poland and some additional custom machine work was also done by Brendyn to ensure it replicated the Soviet rail perfectly.

In 1969 only 650 AKML/AKMSL complexes were produced, probably far less than half of those were AKMSL and probably only a very small number were configured as NSP-3+PBS-1 complexes.  The point being only a small amount of AKMSL's with PBS+1 devices were configured and issued in 1969.

Photos of strut, flame arrestor and NSP-3:

1969 RGUNS Izhmash AKM Hand-Select Kit as purchased:

A few progress photos of Brendyn doing his magic.

[/i][/i][/i]

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: 1969 Soviet AKMSL (Photo Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 09:00:28 AM »
Very nice Bunker. I'll wager that scope weighs as much as the rifle and probably makes for a very heavy carry, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 10:03:43 AM »
Glad to see you're still around and collecting Bunker!  thumb1

There's something about the original Soviet laminate furniture that when properly shellac'd with the correct amount of red that just looks *nice*.  Beautiful AK, thanks for sharing!  drool2

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 01:27:28 PM »
Very nice!!! thumb1

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 10:46:48 PM »

Nice setup  clap1

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 01:33:55 PM »
Very nice Bunker. I'll wager that scope weighs as much as the rifle and probably makes for a very heavy carry, LOL.

Weight is close to weight of the rifle.  The NSP-3 Scope (GRAU Index 1ПН27) weighed 5.96 lbs and the PBS-1 Suppressor (GRAU Index 6Ч12) weighed 1.3 lbs, so was very heavy considering a AKMS weighed 7.81 lbs.  And then you add a fully loaded 30rd mag of 7.62 mm at about 1.8 lbs, and the entire complex weighs approximately 16.87 lbs.  The scope I have is the 1st generation NSP-3 that was only produced from 1967 - December 1969.

But in comparison our US soldiers in Vietnam, primarily Special Forces during that time period were using the AN/PVS-2 variant of the Star Light scope and that weighed 6 lbs.  It was also a 1st generation NV device.  Throw on a suppressor and maybe an under M203 variant for good luck and that gets to be a pretty heavy complex.  Whether US or communist forces the scopes at that time were super heavy and had many flaws but it was fairly new technology at the time.  Technology has really advanced considering what our soldiers use now.

Pic: US soldier with AN/PVS-2B variant scope.

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 01:39:31 PM »
Glad to see you're still around and collecting Bunker!  thumb1
  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 08:14:28 AM »
Late to the party since I’ve been out running around the back country of the west coast the last couple of weeks.

That is really an exceptional complete rig, from that rare NC scope all the way down to the palindromic serial number beginning with 69 and the waffle mag! Thanks for sharing.

Given the low production numbers I would guess these were primarily for Spetsnaz units or perhaps one per company for regular army units.

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 01:34:13 AM »
Given the low production numbers I would guess these were primarily for Spetsnaz units or perhaps one per company for regular army units.
Yes, almost all went to Special Forces units.  Pics are from a few different SF units.