Author Topic: Izhevsk 1953  (Read 841 times)

Offline Lenscrafter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Izhevsk 1953
« on: February 27, 2023, 07:48:12 PM »
This is my first post on this forum as I have never heard about this forum  before, till I read the thread about new SKS book coming up and this forum was mentioned. So, anyway, picked up this SKS at the  NGD set up Saturday morning and here it is for your opinions:

[url=https://ibb.co/Jdvp5DY]

Offline Lenscrafter

• Newber
Re: Izhevsk 1953
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 07:50:47 PM »
more pics:

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 08:01:10 AM »
It’s a nice looking gun  thumb1 Do you have a picture of the serial number on the back of the receiver cover, and the right side of the buttstock?

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 09:04:37 AM »
Very nice Carbine!! Welcome aboard from Kentucky!!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »
It’s a nice looking gun  thumb1 Do you have a picture of the serial number on the back of the receiver cover, and the right side of the buttstock?

The "АП" stock acceptance stamp on this one is visible on his left side buttstock photo just behind the S/N.

This is my first post on this forum as I have never heard about this forum  before, till I read the thread about new SKS book coming up and this forum was mentioned. So, anyway, picked up this SKS at the  NGD set up Saturday morning and here it is for your opinions:

Welcome to the SKS-Files.  Glad to have you here!  thumb1

My opinion: I think it's a legit "As-Issued" '53 Izhevsk in "very good" condition.  I think it could be debated that the stock has had a new coat of shellac applied on it due to the very faint "АП" stock acceptance stamp (and whether or not this constitutes a "refurb", whether this gun could be called "non-refurb", "unfired", "unissued", etc.), but irregardless, this carbine would be classified as 'as-issued' in the database just based on it having all the correct features for a '53 Izhevsk.  It is *extremely* difficult to find a carbine from this year, this arsenal, in this condition so this is a great find! 

I have another from this prefix series in my files that is only ~250 units later that is in similarly "As-Issued, very good" condition:

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 03:33:52 PM »
That's probably the most pristine example of a 1953 Izhevsk that I've ever seen.

I'm particularly intrigued by the crossbolt stamps, as it is uncommon to see such stamps on BOTH sides of the stock.

IMHO, this carbine went straight into storage after manufacture and never saw issued service.

My best guess-timation is that the multiple crossbolt stamps are an indication of regular inspection and maintenance performed during longterm, non-issued storage.

A very rare piece in equally rare condition. A true collection piece.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 03:41:52 PM »
As all have noted... one of the nicest examples Ive seen and wish I had one like it.  Congrats and welcome aboard.

Offline Lenscrafter

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 05:59:06 PM »
Here are pictures of right side stock - its blank, and the ser number on cover.

Thank you everybody for opinions.  I've been collecting for a long time, but never really studied SKS rifles, so I am a beginner here, even though I own both  NIB Izhevsk 1954 and Tula 1951 for a long time and did not hear till now about this forum.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 07:46:47 PM »
Very nice non-refurb 1953 Izhevsk, congratulations!

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 07:30:48 AM »
Outstanding specimen!!!

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 04:54:32 PM »
Holy crap.  :o For reference I was over the moon when I got my hands on a rough condition matching refurbished 1953 Izhevsk sks. (that I probably paid too much for just to fill the gap in the collection.  :-X )
Yours is significantly nicer  ;)  That one is definitely a drooling piece. Congrats.
-STR

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 06:10:54 PM »
That thing is beautiful !! Love the darker Izhevsk look too. Especially on the 53 most were more light looking or blond as they say. Does the gas tube match also ? What a prize good job on that find. thankyou1

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 07:11:28 PM »
That thing is beautiful !! Love the darker Izhevsk look too. Especially on the 53 most were more light looking or blond as they say.

Yep. This is the stock pics for supposedly an as-issued 53 izzy I found.

Offline Lenscrafter

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 07:05:53 PM »
I can see inspector cartouche on the right side .  I thought on 1953 Izhevsk they were only present on the left side, no?