Author Topic: I picked up this beautiful as-issued "letter series" Tula from my LGS  (Read 1522 times)

Offline klp5353

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hello everyone,

This weekend I picked up a 1957 Tula "letter series" SKS from my LGS for $800. This rifle is in impeccable condition, with no signs of refurbishment. Every single part on the gun matches, which you will see in the photos below. The bluing on the rifle is near 100%, even on the buttplate, leading me to believe it may have even been unissued (I'll leave that decision up to the experts, I'm just making observations). It is in a gorgeous red laminate stock, that has a few small dings from storage but is in good shape otherwise. I believe it is an original laminate stock, since it has all the inspection cartouches around the forward cross-bolt. Anyway, time for some pictures of this beauty.

I took her into my woods for a quick photo shoot:

Here is the serial on the side of the receiver, along with the small Tula star typical of the "letter series." This rifle has the "backwards N" suffix, indicating 1957 production. CAI stamped the English translations of the Cyrillic letters below them during import.

Matching numbers on the bolt carrier, magazine, and trigger guard:

Here is the receiver cover. The bluing is in excellent condition, with the matching serial stamped on the rear. No Tula star or date was added to the receiver cover on "letter series" guns.

The bolt, and extractor's numbers:

The gas tube, and piston:

The rear sight leaf and buttplate. The bluing on the buttplate shows only a little wear near the top:

Now onto the stock. It has the matching serial stamped on the side, with no signs of another number being crossed out or sanded off:

Inspection marks near the forward crossbolt on both sides of the rifle. It is my understanding that these cartouches identify it as an original laminate stock, as one replaced during refurb would not have these marks. From my research, these late production "letter series" guns were the only SKS's that would have been issued in a laminate stock right from the factory.

More inspection marks on the stock:

And the final 2 pictures: The muzzle showing very little wear from having the bayonet extended. And the tab on the top of the buttplate, indicating an original issue stock as well(refurb replacement laminate stocks didn't have a protruding tab on top of the buttplate according to my research)

That's the end of the pictures. What does everyone think of this SKS?

In my opinion it appears to be all original in as-issued(potentially unissued) condition. There are no signs of it going through refurb. The bore on the gun is perfect, but I don't have a good way to get a picture of it. The laminate stock seems to be a factory original, because of the reasons I pointed out above. I'd love to hear what the rest of you think of this gun!

-Kyle

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: I picked up this beautiful as-issued "letter series" Tula from my LGS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:01:23 AM »
DAYUM!!
That is a piece of art....  drool2

Welcome to the files! What an entry... :)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
Very nice non-refurb letter gun in original laminated stock. I letter guns in original laminated stock are very uncommon. And the price was very good too. Congratulations!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:51:49 AM »
Yup, that’s a beauty!  thumb1

Glad you decided to swing by from Zuckerberg’s funhouse  :)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 03:52:36 AM »
Wowza!! That is the nicest '57 that I've have ever seen. I am prepared to offer you $805 so you can make a profit and I'll pay for shipping of course, do you agree?  rofl rofl  rofl2 nea1

Seriously, very nice rifle, great find and awesome first post. Dibs, if you ever get bored and want to sell.  whistle12

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 09:10:13 AM »
thank you Kyle for taking the time to show all the great pics. you might have the nicest example of an never issued sks (might be priceless), I'll let the pros get in on that info.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »
Wow!

Looks like a museum piece.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline klp5353

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I could hardly believe it when I ran into this SKS in the wild at my LGS. I had been looking for a decent Russian SKS for a while, and had seen a number of refurbished examples (with the black stove paint finish) not nearly as nice as this one go for $1000 or more locally. When I saw it was only $800 I knew I needed to buy it because I'd probably never find one like it again. Now I just need to find another Russian SKS so I can have a shooter that I don't care so much about. This one has been designated as a safe queen.

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »
Such a lovely catch and great price! Congratulations!!

I'm on a hunt for a nice non-refurb too. I passed on a few of those before (being cheap and all) only to realize that it's getting harder and harder to find them at a reasonable price (whatever it is now).

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »
Congrats on a fine example!

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »
Shyza! Well done!

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 12:10:28 AM »
Very sweet indeed! PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:35:49 AM »
Well done! Beautiful rifle... Did the crown cost extra? You know, being a safe queen and all?