Author Topic: 1949 Russian SKS with correct stock and bayonet  (Read 6476 times)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: 1949 Russian SKS with correct stock and bayonet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »
Not bad really, $750/rifle. Considering what the '49 would probably bring by itself. I think there is another thread on this and that P32 was bidding on it.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
$3450 cash price at RIA (not through Proxibid); plus your local state tax that RIA collects; about $200 in shipping, materials, labor; and finally transfer fees for 3 of the 4 that are not C&R (that adds $48 per semiautomatic rifle for me in WA).

I left a sealed bid of $2750, which was my predetermined pain point. I’m okay with missing it since I only really wanted the ‘49, and all those other fees would have brought my total expenses up to at least $4100 at the $3000 bid. That’s $2600 for the refurbished ‘49 and $500 each for the other three. To win I would have had to go to at least the next increment of $3500, which adds $625 (bp and tax) to the calculation above, and that puts me into North Korean territory for a bbq ‘49...ouch!

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »
Wow. Even in the pre-Covid market that final bid (even with the associated fees) would've been phenomenal deal. In the current market...

I really hope it shows up in one of the forums.

The auction's listed serial number  is: YUV837.  Transliterated that would be юв . RM's database lists 6 known carbines with that serial number-- 3 of unknown date and the other 3 are 1950 d.o.m. with 45° gas ports.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 05:58:54 PM »
The receiver cover take down lever on the 1949 seems incorrect though.

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
I tried to bid but it jumped so quick it kicked me and poof $3K. I decided to watch at that point. I've was watching that group for about a month.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 08:02:36 PM »
I have to agree with pcke2000 about the receiver cover take down lever. I thought that it looked different but when pcke2000 mentioned it, then I took a closer look. On a forged lever the eyelet is parallel with the pin. This lever could be the stamped eyelet. Also the spike bayonet is not seated in stock the way it should be. Maybe weak spring?
It would have been better if more pictures were included in sale.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »
For posterity, here are some pics captured from RIA's website:

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 08:36:43 PM »
Phosphorus32 - thanks for the pictures. It does clear up about receiver cover take down lever. It is a stamped eyelet. Now we know that 49 and early 50's had a forged eyelet lever. Now the question is if the stamped eyelet was transitioned on some carbines in 49 or is it a replacement?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:10:41 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 09:10:20 PM »
That is a faked bayonet. It's an M44/T53 milled to fit a straight eared collar...ask me how I know. :P
There should not be the visible air betwixt the collar and the bayonet. A real Russian SKS spike has a bit of a heel that closes that gap and is slightly visible when installed.
It DOES however have the correct stock retaining ferrule....and it's sexy bottomed pinned self. That shows it's a 49...or earlier.
The stock may be correct...those things generally look so funky it's hard to say if it was whittled down.
The reason the bayonet doesn't close the gap could be due to a modified regular hardwood stock....something about the grip area seems a bit off.....but like I said, they are generally funky.

That is certainly one of those later loop takedown levers...which isn't correct, but at refurb might have been WHAT they made for refurbs with the early RC differences...when they were more populous in the general fray of what they had. A stamped version would be easier, and identifiable for the guy at the bench. (speculatin'). :)

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »
The only way to tell if the stock is original or carefully milled down is to look at the end of stock and bayonet channel.
https://ibb.co/gJYOew
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:21:36 PM by jstin2 »

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »
That is a faked bayonet. It's an M44/T53 milled to fit a straight eared collar...ask me how I know. :P
There should not be the visible air betwixt the collar and the bayonet. A real Russian SKS spike has a bit of a heel that closes that gap and is slightly visible when installed.
It DOES however have the correct stock retaining ferrule....and it's sexy bottomed pinned self. That shows it's a 49...or earlier.
The stock may be correct...those things generally look so funky it's hard to say if it was whittled down.
The reason the bayonet doesn't close the gap could be due to a modified regular hardwood stock....something about the grip area seems a bit off.....but like I said, they are generally funky.

That is certainly one of those later loop takedown levers...which isn't correct, but at refurb might have been WHAT they made for refurbs with the early RC differences...when they were more populous in the general fray of what they had. A stamped version would be easier, and identifiable for the guy at the bench. (speculatin'). :)

Justin Hell, you are a true genius! You are right, it is not a real 1949 SKS cruciform. It's shame that I didn't notice it, even though I do have a 1949 with a correct cruciform bayonet. For those do not know what we are talking about, please take a look at the cruciform bayonets on the following websites:

(1) https://www.yooperj.com/SKS-27.htm

(2) a real 1949 bayonet being sold on a Russian auction site:

https://meshok.net/item/210460156_%D0%A8%D1%82%D1%8B%D0%BA_%D0%B8%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%BA_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%83_%D0%A1%D0%9A%D0%A1_%D0%BF%D1%80_%D0%B2%D0%B0_%D0%A1%D0%A1%D0%A1%D0%A0

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 11:16:05 PM »
Aww, shucks....genius likely not, observant...scary sometimes.

For example. Look closely at the 90 degree block on this....I have never seen this before, but am I crazy seeing a divot in the bottom for the cleaning rod?
Could this be how one could tell a 49 from an early 50?  The stock ferrule is smaller for the no contact bayonet of course, but it seems like the gas block might have been let in for the rod too?  I don't think I have seen photos of one of these at that angle...I checked my early 50, I don't have that.

All involved in actually owning one...please check! :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 11:22:55 PM »
You can also see which SKS stock Ram-line based their Conventional stock on with this '49.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 11:50:14 PM »
You can also see which SKS stock Ram-line based their Conventional stock on with this '49.

Yeah, but look inside!  They are labeled SKS 1950!    rofl
I am way, way...too observant.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 01:14:46 AM »
Aww, shucks....genius likely not, observant...scary sometimes.

For example. Look closely at the 90 degree block on this....I have never seen this before, but am I crazy seeing a divot in the bottom for the cleaning rod?
Could this be how one could tell a 49 from an early 50?  The stock ferrule is smaller for the no contact bayonet of course, but it seems like the gas block might have been let in for the rod too?  I don't think I have seen photos of one of these at that angle...I checked my early 50, I don't have that.

All involved in actually owning one...please check! :)

Wow!!! You are not crazy, I now see it too. I haven't seen this type of gas block either. Unfortunately I am away from my 1949 now, cannot check it. I will check my early 1950 later to see if it has it.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 06:52:10 AM »
I checked my 50 with spike and there is no divot.
https://ibb.co/PTyryvB

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:51:58 AM by jstin2 »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »
I checked my 50 with spike and there is no divot.
https://ibb.co/PTyryvB

That's even more intriguing actually.  I didn't think of the 50 spikers...perhaps it's a 49 & earlier trait....and not as much to do with whether there is a spike on it or not vs. reducing machining time.  Does the cleaning rod make contact with the gas block on your 50?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »
These pictures are from my album.
https://ibb.co/0D8PbqF
https://ibb.co/QDzrZLS

There is a possibility that there was a rattle during shooting and owner thought of grinding divot. With the bayonet not fitting properly, it may have left the cleaning rod loose and thus causing rattling. Looking at picture, it may be the opposite, maybe it was forcing it up too much. This may be the case if there are no other gas ports like this on record.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:18:15 AM by jstin2 »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »
I just checked the Russian serial database, it shows the prefix letters on this gun to be known on a few 50s, and then a few uncertain ones, that came with 51 covers....
It sure would be nice to see all the serials on this one.
It kinda makes no sense if the gas block anomaly is a previously unseen trait, AND it has the correct bottom pinned ferrule... It makes me wonder if all the ones in the database WERE 49s with the wrong cover?  I am fairly certain that this takedown lever has to be from refurb.

юв  1949? shown here
юR  1950 seen on 'known' 50 carrier I am considering purchasing.

Could this be the December 49 / January 50 crossover?  think1