Author Topic: Early Refurbished Tula  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Early Refurbished Tula
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »
Early (45 degree gas block) Refurbished Tula, SN XH19##

-or-

As the auction house described it:  "Norinco, SKS, Semiauto,7.62X39CAL"  :o  chuckles1

I love it when auction houses describe an item incorrectly. Hopefully it's at least force-matched, but I really couldn't pass at this price, even with limited pics. Heavy refurb with black bayonet and a replacement laminate stock. Fortunately, those are both features I like if I'm going to have a refurb. We'll see what it looks like when it arrives in a few weeks  :)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Early Refurbished Tula
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
Could it be from the Albanian imports, with a "M56 MADE IN CHINA" import stamp?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »
Could it be from the Albanian imports, with a "M56 MADE IN CHINA" import stamp?

Not impossible, but I doubt it. The SN the auction house listed looks like one of the transliterated Cyrillic versions. The high condition of the finish also indicates one of the early 1990s imports from Russia.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
Either way, a great score.

And the final bid is just ridiculous.

Nice catch

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
Either way, a great score.

And the final bid is just ridiculous.

Nice catch

Thanks! I was surprised it went this low. Bidding was creeping up in $10 increments and the onsite bidder must not have wanted to pay any more than $300 ($345) for a "Norinco".

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
Nice!

This being on my short list of what I hope to run into for a similar deal. I am a little envious. :)
For that price, you really did great if it fires at all dangit! I gotta fill this 45 degree void someday.

You deserve a  banana time  Wait...it already came with one.  rofl

(if that's a USA mag, HMU...maybe we can work out a swap)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
Nice!

This being on my short list of what I hope to run into for a similar deal. I am a little envious. :)
For that price, you really did great if it fires at all dangit! I gotta fill this 45 degree void someday.

Thanks JH! I already have a nice 1951. We’ll see how this one looks with respect to numbers and internals.

Perhaps I’ll paint that “banana clip” yellow and put some Chiquita stickers on it. It’ll be the first duckbill magazine that has crossed my threshold.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Nice!

Thanks JH! I already have a nice 1951. We’ll see how this one looks with respect to numbers and internals.

Perhaps I’ll paint that “banana clip” yellow and put some Chiquita stickers on it. It’ll be the first duckbill magazine that has crossed my threshold.

That would be hilarious...and so very wrong at the same time. Especially if it is a USA mag...even more so if it's a 30 rounder and not a 37 rounder.

So, do you think this is a 50 or 51? I am kinda leaning towards finding a 50 with the 45 myself...but I doubt I will have a choice when the opportunity arises.  One was on Armslist but I missed it by two months, or the seller was a flake...I never got a response despite the ad still being up. It had the blued bayo vs. the painted refurb though... $500, I had it at the time too...then the furnace blew up....just as well I 'spose. banghead1

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 05:55:55 AM »
Wow nice catch P32. Congrats.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Nice!

That would be hilarious...and so very wrong at the same time. Especially if it is a USA mag...even more so if it's a 30 rounder and not a 37 rounder.

So, do you think this is a 50 or 51? I am kinda leaning towards finding a 50 with the 45 myself...but I doubt I will have a choice when the opportunity arises.  One was on Armslist but I missed it by two months, or the seller was a flake...I never got a response despite the ad still being up. It had the blued bayo vs. the painted refurb though... $500, I had it at the time too...then the furnace blew up....just as well I 'spose. banghead1

I know nothing about aftermarket mags. Is a USA mag a good one?

I'm guessing it's a '51, cuz I'm not that lucky  :)) Assuming it's got scrubbed and force-matched numbers, it'll be hard to tell what year it is for sure, unless running-man drops by for a consult on the serial number prefix from his database  :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
Wow nice catch P32. Congrats.

Thanks Bob!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
Nice!

I know nothing about aftermarket mags. Is a USA mag a good one?

I'm guessing it's a '51, cuz I'm not that lucky  :)) Assuming it's got scrubbed and force-matched numbers, it'll be hard to tell what year it is for sure, unless running-man drops by for a consult on the serial number prefix from his database  :)

USA mags are the ones to have if you are going to have metal. There was a small run of them made that were unstamped by whoever purchased the tooling they look identical, but are missing the Made in USA stamp on the sides above the floorplate. They function well.   I could not however get any duckbills to work with my 49/50 at all...IIRC it has a slightly shorter span to lock into, and simply would not clear enough to latch....metal, plastic...no dice. Perhaps some minor changes happened between the 90 and 45 degree shift if yours fits the gun, and doesn't look modified.

They can be fun to have...if you have something that it wouldn't blaspheme to be on...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 10:31:54 PM »

I'll be happy to help though I'm having trouble truly deciphering what the auction house actually means when they say "KHN19## = XH19##" 

There are no X's I'm aware of in any SKS prefix in any year (yet).  I've seen them in Izhevsk suffixes, but not in prefixes (yet)  I suspect this one is indeed XH because the translation is correct based on how CAI did theirs: X = KH, H = N.

So assuming they got it right and it's XH, I have zero guns like that in the database.  Can't help you there at all, sorry man!

I do have ФН prefix verified guns from '50, ШН prefix verified guns from '50, and УН prefix verified guns from '50.  XH is alphabetically right in those blocks so it's entirely feasible though we know that alphabetic order is not necessarily something to be followed with the SKS45. 

The feature set progression isn't much help from what I see in the photos, but I believe an XH prefixed gun from '50 may have a spring loaded firing pin since ФН & ШН both are, though УН prefixed guns have the late bolts and non spring loaded pins.  So there is that to look forward to!  thumb1 

Tula stamping on the receiver cover top should be a 'modern' stamp, this gun is nowhere near the transitional '50 range:

In addition, if it is a late '50, it should have a:
45° gas block
short stamped receiver cover takedown lever
square ear solid bayo lug (no lightening cuts)
early tall receiver with matching RSB
tabbed gas tube takedown lever

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 02:37:31 AM »
Thanks very much RM!  thumb1

The letters/numbers to the right of the = were my attempt to translate ... back transliterate?  :)) ... what the auction house listed, which was: SNKHHN19XX

https://www.proxibid.com//asp/LotDetail.asp?lid=47490436

Their four low res pics are no help with the features, so that’ll remain part of the mystery pending its arrival  ???

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »
I am possibly as excited for it to arrive as you are. :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »
That one's sexy!

Great score. I'd like to add something like that to my collection.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
That one's sexy!

Great score. I'd like to add something like that to my collection.

Thanks Larry!

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 09:59:30 AM »
Nice one Phos : ) It even comes with a matching Chinese sling ?  rofl2 Oh yeah ! Thast a nice spot filler in the safe for 350 : ) No Harm No foul  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
Matching refurbed 1951. Laminate stock (hardwood handguard) with refurb mark. No refurb mark on the metal. Blued blade bayonet.

The mystery of the SN is solved. They used the original letters, KH, and the transliterated letters, KN  rofl

The shellac is like new. Bluing is excellent, crown is in the white. I thought it looked good in the sun, but better in person where it glows.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »
congrats! doesn't get any better. i would be a happy camper too.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!