Author Topic: New to board and the SKS  (Read 1040 times)

Offline fchaus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • The Dude Abides
New to board and the SKS
« on: January 08, 2022, 02:13:19 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Craig. I'm currently living in California and have just purchased some firearms from an estate sale, one of which is my first SKS. It's a Norinco 24 mil S/N. it's beeing stored in NV for many years and it is super clean and as far as I can tell may have never been fired or if so very little. I am more and more fasinated by older mil-surp guns (I also aquired an M1 Carbine, an Romanian M44, a Tula 91/30 and a Mak-90 Sporter). I find myself easliy getting lost down the rabbit hole of learning about these old rifles. I have many questions about my new rifle and will post them in an area more suited to the specifics. For now I just wanted intoduce myself. I've been lurking for the last several weeks looking at the marking and learning what I can before I start asking a million questions, LOL.

Craig
Craig H

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Re: New to board and the SKS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 02:30:22 PM »
Welcome!

SKS, M1 Carbine, an Romanian M44, a Tula 91/30 and a Mak-90 Sporter will get you down the rabbit hole fast!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »
Welcome to the Files, best place for SKS info. I did respond to your second post on your 24M BTW.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline fchaus

• Newber
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 03:20:12 PM »
Tell me about it. I've shot my whole life but never really knew much about old rifles other than what my dad had so when the seller sent me the list my son was like  Oooo, Ooooo, Ooooo. Apparently he knew what they all were from Call of Duty or something, LOL. So I started doing a little research on my own and am totally hooked. Joined 3 boards and spend hours reading. I will finally get the last 3 guns transferred next saturday and can reallt get into the markings/makers etc of them (the 91/30 and the M1 Carbine, the third is a PPK, had to have a james bond gun). Unfortunately the Mak-90 will have to stay with family in NV until I leave Cal. Stupid laws. Apparently is ok to have a foot long pokie thing at the end of my rifles but not a pistol grip.  nea1 nea1 nea1 nea1

Craig
Craig H

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 05:37:47 PM »
fchaus, Welcome from Kentucky/Colorado!!!  Though this forum is mainly about the SKS in one form or another, anything you have to shoot can be talked about here.  You should see some of the rabbit holes that are explored and the threads that get side-tracked or completely de-railed.  And this is about the most amicable bunch you'll see on any board.  Cheers, Bruce!!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 07:39:18 PM »
Welcome from Washington State!

We’re happy to help you journey further down the rabbit hole  rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 08:26:35 PM »
Welcome from the backwoods of Va. thumb1

Rabbit holes are wonderful.. one just never knows  :)     it might be derailed, you might accidently be and get enabled, anything is liable to happen.....  whistle12
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 08:49:48 PM »
I was just going to say, stay clear of Phosphorus32 and Greasemonkey! These are experienced ENABLERS!!!!

Good thing my wife doesn't know how much some of these things really cost  8)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 04:19:14 PM »
"Tell 'em a hookah smoking Caterpillar has given you a call...."
 bouncecool1 whistle12

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 11:34:01 PM »
Welcome to the 'Files from SW Missouri, Craig! Condolences on living in Cali!  chuckles1 At least this is a "safe zone" for all things gun related!  thumb1  Glad to have you join us!

The 24mil /26\ rifles are some of the nicest out there, IMO. Does yours have the plastic upper hand guard? Post up some pics if you can! We'd love to see them!

firstchoice

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 08:52:36 AM »
Welcome to the menagerie from another C&R/milsurp junkie in NorKal. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline fchaus

• Newber
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 05:05:21 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome everyone.

The 24mil /26\ rifles are some of the nicest out there, IMO. Does yours have the plastic upper hand guard? Post up some pics if you can! We'd love to see them!

Yes, it has the plastic upper handgaurd and someone swapped in a "Jungle Stock". I will pick up the last of the stuff I got from the Estate sale and try to  post some pics of everything.

Craig
Craig H

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 02:12:35 PM »
Welcome aboard... friendly lot here and a wealth of info freely given.  A word to the wise there is lurking enablers in these walls.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 04:21:26 PM »
Welcome aboard... friendly lot here and a wealth of info freely given.  A word to the wise there is lurking enablers in these walls.

What you talkin' bout Willis!! rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.