Author Topic: GB listings for March, 2017 - Romanian  (Read 11106 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
GB listings for March, 2017 - Romanian
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
I still consider the Romy to be the best value in SKSs today.  They are built like tanks, even if they trend a bit uglier then their brethren.
  • # sold: 4
  • Lowest Sale Price: $390.00
  • Avg. Sale Price: $466.47
  • Highest Sale Price: $597.00
  • As-Issued Avg. Price: $ 597.00
Please let me know any feedback (good or bad) to these.
If you have an objection or observation to add to anything I've listed, by all means call it out.  Let's look at it long and hard (I only look at each listing for a minute or two at most) and maybe everyone can learn a thing or two!  thumb1

-RM

Item Link | Description | # Bids | Final Price | Arsenal Condition | Current Condition | RM's Notes
  • 624098286 | Romanian SKS 56 Cugir 1959 ALL Matching Numbers | 1 | $597.00  | As-Issued | Good | Hell of a nice gun.  Crappy photos, but hell of a nice gun.
  • 628564760 | Romanian SKS 1958 Type 56 Romania | 9 | $405.00  | Bubba | Good | I do like the blank stock.  Very well done on the refinish.  Bummer about the mismatching receiver cover.
  • 625033770 | Romanian SKS Type 56 Cugir | 3 | $390.00  | Bubba | Fair | This gun looks odd in a Russian stock...
  • 632313624 | 1958 Cugir Romanian SKS mint condition | 4 | $551.00  | Refurbished | Good | Nice enough gun.  I don't know that I'd call it (or any Romy for that matter) "mint condition".  5.5 Benjamins may be a reach.
  • 628126138 | Romanian SKS 7.62x39 1958 All Matching w/Sling | 8 | $473.88  | Refurbished | Good | Neat rack number on this one. Sling is a big bonus too.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:43:13 PM by running-man »

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: GB listings for March, 2017 - Romanian
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 02:27:03 PM »
632313624 | 1958 Cugir Romanian SKS mint condition | 4 | $551.00  | Refurbished | Good | Nice enough gun.  I don't know that I'd call it (or any Romy for that matter) "mint condition".  5.5 Benjamins may be a reach.
628126138 | Romanian SKS 7.62x39 1958 All Matching w/Sling | 8 | $473.88  | Refurbished | Good | Neat rack number on this one. Sling is a big bonus too.

These two, prices should have been swapped on..  The $551 one has been refinished I'd say....look how dark and semi grundgy the inside of the handguard wood is vs. how light the outside wood is. Something is off with that....

550 wouldn't be a reach for the second.. 450 for a decent rifle, and 100(GreedBroker price) for a sling.. yeah.. worth it.

628564760 | Romanian SKS 1958 Type 56 Romania | 9 | $405.00  | Bubba | Good | I do like the blank stock.  Very well done on the refinish.  Bummer about the mismatching receiver cover.

Looks like a ........Chinese unnumbered stock.. I've seen a few of these popping up elsewhere.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
These two, prices should have been swapped on..  The $551 one has been refinished I'd say....look how dark and semi grundgy the inside of the handguard wood is vs. how light the outside wood is. Something is off with that....

550 wouldn't be a reach for the second.. 450 for a decent rifle, and 100(GreedBroker price) for a sling.. yeah.. worth it.

Yeah that rifle could easily be refinished.  I went the safe route and said at the very least it isn't the stock that the gun was born with based on the lack of S/N.

I screwed up, the $551 gun didn't actually hit reserve, so it didn't sell.  I wish gunbroker wouldn't change banner colors so often, used to be a red banner would indicate that a gun didn't hit reserve.  Now that banner is gray with a large green button with the small "reserve not met" text in red.  Yeah not confusing there at all...

As an aside, the seller should have taken that $551, not even a nibble at $350 now.  chuckles1

Offline JDA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »

Yeah that rifle could easily be refinished.  I went the safe route and said at the very least it isn't the stock that the gun was born with based on the lack of S/N.

I screwed up, the $551 gun didn't actually hit reserve, so it didn't sell.  I wish gunbroker wouldn't change banner colors so often, used to be a red banner would indicate that a gun didn't hit reserve.  Now that banner is gray with a large green button with the small "reserve not met" text in red.  Yeah not confusing there at all...

As an aside, the seller should have taken that $551, not even a nibble at $350 now.  chuckles1

Nah, I've already turned down $600 for it. I'm in no hurry, it's a nice rife. I am interested in your opinion on the stock though. I find it interesting I cannot seem to find a number but there's no Evidence of refinishing. I looked into it on Yooper Johns SKS site and learned one thing about the SKS is they're inexpensively crafted wartime rifles from poor countries. They have standards but they aren't set in stone. I believe it to be the original stock. I'd love to hear any ideas as to how I can prove or disprove the pedigree of the stock. Are there hidden numbers if I dis-assembled?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »
Amber shellac on a stock thats not even romanian.  Look at the length of the finger groove. Thats an alby replacmemt stock for a chicom.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline JDA

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »
Interesting.... why no serial number though? Albanians didn't serialize stocks? Why would an Albanian stock end up on a Romanian? Albanians are the only SKS more rare than a Romanian so it just seems odd. Anything else you can add to that?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
Interesting.... why no serial number though? Albanians didn't serialize stocks? Why would an Albanian stock end up on a Romanian? Albanians are the only SKS more rare than a Romanian so it just seems odd. Anything else you can add to that?

Wait...  which one is yours?  I may be looking at the wrong one. 

This is the one I was looking at http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628564760

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
Hi and welcome  thumb1

Good clear photos of the stock, inside the action, under the handguard. Any markings. The more pictures, the merrier. I have seen maybe half a dozen lately in Chinese stocks, and other makers stocks. Mostly becuase Romanians are known to have beat to death stocks, every imported batch had a very high ratio or rough ones vs. real nice ones. Also most I've seen had serialized stocks. I understand most people don't want ugly, so they replace or refinish and alot of pretty nice looking no stock serial Romanians popping up just kind of sounds an alarm.   Lately, my alarms are ringing loudly...

Here is one in what looks like a scrubbed Yugo stock
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sks-rifles/sks-rifle.cfm?gun_id=100833249

This one I believe to be a an unnumbered Chinese stock.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628564760

I believe this one to be another unnumbered Chinese stock as well.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sks-rifles/cai-sks-m56-cugir-romania-.cfm?gun_id=100823397

Offline JDA

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »

1958 all matching Romanian

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 11:03:54 PM »
His gun is http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=632313624 I believe LC.

It's beech. Sloppy finish like your typical Romy.  Hard to say with certainty, but the big difference in shades from the handguard vs. the stock tells me something has been done to that gun.  It didn't leave the factory like that.  I think I'd fall all over myself to sell that gun at $600.   

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 11:06:47 PM »
Why would you turn down 551, or 600? think1

Just curious. :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »

If its this one...  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632313624

Then its a refurb as seen by the faint square stamp with numbers within on the upper wrist area..... only Romys I have seen these on were ALL refurbs.  The stock has not been refinished.  Romanias refurb process was very inconsistent to say the least. Some no numbers, some HUGE FONT numbers, some stamped on wrong side, some missing the letter prefixes, some stamped sideways.   You has a replacement stock that was installed in Romania during a refurb and has not been refinished since.

Offline JDA

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »

Because I like it  :)

Hi and welcome  thumb1

Good clear photos of the stock, inside the action, under the handguard. Any markings. The more pictures, the merrier. I have seen maybe half a dozen lately in Chinese stocks, and other makers stocks. Mostly becuase Romanians are known to have beat to death stocks, every imported batch had a very high ratio or rough ones vs. real nice ones. Also most I've seen had serialized stocks. I understand most people don't want ugly, so they replace or refinish and alot of pretty nice looking no stock serial Romanians popping up just kind of sounds an alarm.   Lately, my alarms are ringing loudly...

Here is one in what looks like a scrubbed Yugo stock
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sks-rifles/sks-rifle.cfm?gun_id=100833249

This one I believe to be a an unnumbered Chinese stock.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628564760

I believe this one to be another unnumbered Chinese stock as well.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sks-rifles/cai-sks-m56-cugir-romania-.cfm?gun_id=100823397

Wow! Thanks for all the info! The last one looks just like mine. Also like mine, the top cover is darker. I wonder if I have the original hand guard with a Chinese stock. 

Offline JDA

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:13:27 PM »

Because I can  rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
Did you....  see my post?

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 12:03:07 AM »

Because I can  rofl

I wish you the best a luck. thumb1
Just my opinion and my lousy .0000002 cents rofl I'm sure someone will pay, it just going to be a waiting game now, I mean I've seen some doozys lately go for, in my opinion very unrealistic prices.

but.. it's technically not matching, metal is matching yes, but, the stock doesn't, while a unnumbered stock could be deemed technically correct, it doesn't number match. This to a serial number watcher collector or someone who prides themselves on total number matching weapons, could be seen as a ding, even more so than one that everything matches on that has been shot many times.
A "totally or all" numbers match Romanian thats a non-refurb with a factory Romanian sling that number might be obtainable today. Usually the totally matching Romanians carry the premium over the mismatchy/sterile ones, because few made it through the years of service, repair, refurb as a "totally" matching weapon.

Again, just my opinion  :)

Offline JDA

• Newber
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »

If its this one...  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632313624

Then its a refurb as seen by the faint square stamp with numbers within on the upper wrist area..... only Romys I have seen these on were ALL refurbs.  The stock has not been refinished.  Romanias refurb process was very inconsistent to say the least. Some no numbers, some HUGE FONT numbers, some stamped on wrong side, some missing the letter prefixes, some stamped sideways.   You has a replacement stock that was installed in Romania during a refurb and has not been refinished since.

I guess I don't see the square.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
Whats this... And does it have numbers in it? 

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
Looks like the same location of the sanded and refinished stock that came on my Romanian.

Same lighter finish also.

I found a more traditional finished stock on feebay, that was closer to my hand guard finish, and swamped it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
And.... There you have it. 

Its a nice gun... Just has a replacement stock done by Romania.   thumb1