Author Topic: My $100 Lee Enfield  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Garage161

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
My $100 Lee Enfield
« on: April 12, 2019, 12:27:56 AM »
Picked up this sporterized 1915 Lee Enfield SMLE for $100 last year. It’s well used but still shoots decent enough. Hoping to take a deer with it this fall !

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: My $100 Lee Enfield
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 05:54:47 AM »
Nice rifle Garage161! A friend of mine had an Enfield that we shot a lot. That .303 British is quite a banger. I like the Enfield action. I bought several Enfield Ishapore 2A's because they were in great shape, were chambered in .308 Winchester, and I was already familiar with that type of action. I think mine are all early 1960's manufacture, though.

I know they cut the stocks back for "sporterizing", but why did the get rid of the upper handguard pieces, as well? Just curious.

Thanks for posting it up!

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
thanks for sharing, can't go wrong for a $100.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Garage161

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »
Nice rifle Garage161! A friend of mine had an Enfield that we shot a lot. That .303 British is quite a banger. I like the Enfield action. I bought several Enfield Ishapore 2A's because they were in great shape, were chambered in .308 Winchester, and I was already familiar with that type of action. I think mine are all early 1960's manufacture, though.

I know they cut the stocks back for "sporterizing", but why did the get rid of the upper handguard pieces, as well? Just curious.

Thanks for posting it up!

firstchoice
I’m really not sure why they did away with the upper guard as well , I’m thinking most likely it was just for weight reduction. I had thought about putting this one back into a full stock but I like that the “sporterizing” is as much a part of the rifles history as it was in its full military spec. This ones been shot a lot by the looks of it , I often wonder when I look down the sighs just what this rifle has seen in its 104 years , kinda spooky to think about !

Offline Garage161

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 02:59:42 PM »
thanks for sharing, can't go wrong for a $100.  thumb1
Nope sure can’t , it’s a “no lose” price lol

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
I’m really not sure why they did away with the upper guard as well , I’m thinking most likely it was just for weight reduction. I had thought about putting this one back into a full stock but I like that the “sporterizing” is as much a part of the rifles history as it was in its full military spec. This ones been shot a lot by the looks of it , I often wonder when I look down the sighs just what this rifle has seen in its 104 years , kinda spooky to think about !

yeah.. thats the scary part.. I have many milsurps I dare do that, especially ones like Lugers, German Mausers and other German stuff, 2 Mosins kind of make my toes curl to think about, one has shrapnel damage all over it and another has a really bad case of blood etching over a majority of the metal.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:16:58 PM »
I had thought about putting this one back into a full stock but I like that the “sporterizing” is as much a part of the rifles history as it was in its full military spec. I often wonder when I look down the sighs just what this rifle has seen in its 104 years , kinda spooky to think about !

It's pretty cool. I've got a #4 MK1/2 in similar shape. I've been on the hunt for the fore arm bits for a while. Thankfully the barrel wasn't cut.

I've got spare furniture for yours at the MOMENT, should you decide to resto some day. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798