Author Topic: /0130\ Receiver Failure  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
/0130\ Receiver Failure
« on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
I was sent this a long while ago by a friend.  Basically I pulled all the parts off of it for reuse as the barrel and components were still ok.  As you can see, this is why I personally dont trust late pinned Chinese guns. Although, this may be a case in which any receiver would have failed due to a likely out-of-battery incident.  After seeing it, it just left a bad taste in my mouth sort of speak.  I went ahead and gave this thing to Ben Murray of Murrays Gunsmithing to use for trigger mockups etc because I was tired of looking at it.

As you can see, the right rail was completely severed and the left rail was split from rear to front and almost came off completely also.  The bolt locking lug in the bottom of the receiver was also galled all to hell.

Anyhow..... discuss.  Imagine if this was a cast receiver and didnt have the traditional steel locking lug.   :o

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: /0130\ Receiver Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 05:14:13 PM »
And this is why using Flubber for buffers is a bad idea... rofl2

That thing looks pretty rough anyway...1977 must have sucked so bad /26\ had to fire it up again for a few years to show the kids how it was done??  They might have melted down a Pinto at that point, and this is recycled Detroit karma?

I kind of fear the DB now...imagine how bad this one could have gotten had the torn up locking lug have not even been incorporated into the gun?

Did the shooter live?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
I have no idea who, what, when, or where and can only speculate on the why.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »
This, among other reasons is why the squiggly end goes in first!  bat1

Theory 1: One in chamber, bad extractor...cocked to load, with a very strong recoil spring...both go off.

Theory 2: Squib in barrel, past gas port barely, gun extracts and loads fine...trigger is pulled again...squib falls/flies out of the barrel, leftover pressure with little to nothing going through the gas port, causes...this.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
Any consideration on ammo... Reloads.. wrong powder, like an oops of pistol powder or over charge. One off mystery load?  Squib in the barrel? Takes a crap load of force and pressure to rip metal of any thickness. Even something as simple as excess oil in the barrel could build high pressures.

X39 ain't a super high pressure round compared to say a .30-06, 8mm or a full blown cartridge, something else happened I think.

If this 1 receiver was weak.. how many others hold up, it could be a 1 in a million failure, but there are a metric crap ton out there that have no issues and people hammer the hell out of them.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
Im convinced it was an out of battery situation, but the bolt lug being so messed up suggests that the bolt was blown rearward to cause it so the bolt was not rearward?

I dunno.... unless something got stuck between the bolt and carrier. That would def cause the galled lug and upward pressure on the rails.   hmmmmm    think1

Offline howiebearse72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »
most likely an ammunition problem. A friend firing a ww2 carbine .30M1 with wolf ammo had the very same results . Actually looked the same. I have not seen or heard of any Chinese sks failures like that. Ammunition causes this sort of incident .