Author Topic: Riley Defense RAK-47 for SKS  (Read 5226 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Riley Defense RAK-47 for SKS
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:11:00 PM »
Hi fellas,

Responded to a WTT on my home forum, Riley Defense RAK-47 for an SKS. Offered up a choice between of a couple nice commercial pinned barreled spikers, fella said: "I'll take the one on the right". The AK is as new, 6 Kali mag dumps (2 in the free states), Kali neutered and all, swapped out for my (apparently) unfired, matching no arsenal Chinese. AKs never floated my boat any more than ARs, but I've always thought I should have a specimen to accompany my lone AR. I'd actually would rather keep the SKS and buy out right, but the value teetered towards a trade  ;) . Anybody running this unit? The Atlantic hype makes them sound nice. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: Riley Defense RAK-47 for SKS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:53:49 AM »
Hi fellas,

Responded to a WTT on my home forum, Riley Defense RAK-47 for an SKS. Offered up a choice between of a couple nice commercial pinned barreled spikers, fella said: "I'll take the one on the right". The AK is as new, 6 Kali mag dumps (2 in the free states), Kali neutered and all, swapped out for my (apparently) unfired, matching no arsenal Chinese. AKs never floated my boat any more than ARs, but I've always thought I should have a specimen to accompany my lone AR. I'd actually would rather keep the SKS and buy out right, but the value teetered towards a trade  ;) . Anybody running this unit? The Atlantic hype makes them sound nice. PAX

Rob Ski over on AK operators union bought that exact model and it was closing on a no go gauge from the outset. He had numerous malfunctions. He wound up sending it back and it was repaired.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:56:00 AM »
At this time I'd say they are a pos!

Here's the video explaining what Riley Defense did to fix it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:07:15 AM by sksmcrossvilletn »

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 04:04:04 AM »
Sorry dude but I think you got ripped off!

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
Sorry dude but I think you got ripped off!

Hasn't happened yet. I can still renege. That's all I had to hear is one bad thing. Thanks, PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Just my .00000002 cents worth :o I tend to steer away from totally American made Aks.. We can make alot of great arms.....but kind of falter when it comes to making Commie guns.  If I want a decent Commie gun, I will buy it from some former Commies. However, there are some built from parts kit's I would consider.

Never understood it myself... a 3rd world nation can hammer one out of a '57 Plymouth fender and it works great, forever... one made here, soft bolts, cast trunnions, mis-feeds, etc... chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
Just my .00000002 cents worth :o I tend to steer away from totally American made Aks.. We can make alot of great arms.....but kind of falter when it comes to making Commie guns.  If I want a decent Commie gun, I will buy it from some former Commies. However, there are some built from parts kit's I would consider.

Never understood it myself... a 3rd world nation can hammer one out of a '57 Plymouth fender and it works great, forever... one made here, soft bolts, cast trunnions, mis-feeds, etc... chuckles1

This is the 2nd time recently that I've been steered clear of AKish stuff. This thing and a VZ2008. Throw in the fugly Kali compliant/mag restriction crap and it just doesn't seem worth the efforts, for another 10 round X39 platform. Thanks guys, PAX
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:28:37 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »

This is the 2nd time recently that I've been steered clear of AKish stuff. This thing and a VZ2008. Thanks guys, PAX

I haven't had any issues with my Vz2008, that was one I kinda had my doubts about, but I bought it anyway. In the years I've had it, it has kept up with my CzechPoint Vz58. The driving force was I wanted another.....but didn't wanna pay close to a grand for another one and have to strip it because the wood stocked ones were discontinued in favor of railed plastic wrapped crap stuff....so $400 second hand w/a complete fixed stock set at the time was so much more tolerable.

Then again.... like anything, you might get a good one, only way to know is to take the plunge. Maybe I just got lucky on the Vz2008, and my WASR, and my PSL.. sometimes, it's a crap shoot and luck of the draw.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
I had a VZ2008 for a short time. I only bought it because a fellow local member needed money for medical purposes, so I helped him out. Now call me crazy, but AKs and similar based guns just don't do anything for me (which is why I sold it off).

However.... that was a hell of a nice rifle. Great quality, perfect function, and an excellent shooter. Mine had the Fab Defense furniture.

The unique mags are bit of a turn off, but you can still buy them. And they are freakin light! And unloaded mag weighs literally nothing, and a loaded mag weighs about as much as an empty AK mag.

What I really liked about the VZ, is the design. The Czecks literally took the best features from both the SKS and the AK, and made an even better rifle.

Oh, and I concur with already stated feelings on the RAK AKs. They are junk.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 12:45:21 AM »
In all honesty, I just think I should have an AK as a platform representative. But being in Kali ruins it's operation functionality, same with an AR. Plus, if you don't already have one, it has to be featureless. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 04:35:55 AM »
In all honesty, I just think I should have an AK as a platform representative. But being in Kali ruins it's operation functionality, same with an AR. Plus, if you don't already have one, it has to be featureless. PAX

If i ever get me an American made AK I'm gonna buy all the following.

1. Windham weaponry Us made 4150 nitride barrel
2. Childers receiver us made
3. Athens Machine Tool (AMT) forged front trunnion us made
4. Meridian defense m4 stock adapter rear trunnion us made
5. Romanian forged surplus carrier
6. Romanian forged steel bolt
7. 14x1 left hand BD2-AK us made from Meridian defense
8. Magpul ctr stock us made
9. Magpul akm forend
10. Magpul us made AK + grip
11. Us made gas piston cnc warrior
12. Us made red star arms adjustable trigger
13. Whatever mags I want to use because I'll be waaaaay 922r compliant
14. Romanian cugir md63 virgin parts kit.

I'll send all that to Troy sellers at in range and have it built.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:44:52 AM by sksmcrossvilletn »