Author Topic: Picked up an SKS Sporter  (Read 5511 times)

Offline jackpine

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Picked up an SKS Sporter
« on: December 28, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
sorry no pictures at the moment

The guy purchased it in '94 and then put it in the closet "just in case" the box fell apart at some point so he packed it all up in a plastic case and put the magazines "somewere safe" so safe there still there  :))

I was looking for one to thread for a suppressor but since its LNIB unfired I don't know if I'd be throwing away money by moding it but then again I don't buy too many safe queens

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
Re: Picked up an SKS Sporter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
Sounds nice.  Post some pics.  94 was the last year they were imported.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »
Looking forward to pics! 

Just curious why you would want to spend all that cash on the stamp and suppressor for a rifle chambered in 7.62x39.  I suppose the same reason people do it for 300 whisper but in either case, it seems like such a light bullet would have rather low ballistic energy.  Would you have to load your own sub-sonic ammo or does someone manufacture it?

Offline jackpine

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 12:25:37 PM »
I load my own ammo the way it is so subsonic 7.62x39 ammo is no problem at all. Looking at having a suppressed hog rifle and as states get with the program suppressed 200 yard deer rifle.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I load my own ammo the way it is so subsonic 7.62x39 ammo is no problem at all. Looking at having a suppressed hog rifle and as states get with the program suppressed 200 yard deer rifle.

Hey Jack....    I'm really interested in your x39 subsonic load data etc.  Mind posting a thread on the subject in the reloading section?

Reloading - SKS-FILES FORUM - Page 1 of 1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
Interesting. Thanks  thumb1
I guess you're down south. We don't have feral hogs up here in the Pacific Northwest  :)

Offline jackpine

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
I travel down south for Hogs and may find myself in KY soon for an extended stay. At some point I'll put some info up on quiet X39 ammo but at the moment all my notes and gear are packed up.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:50:18 PM »

Hey Jack....    I'm really interested in your x39 subsonic load data etc.  Mind posting a thread on the subject in the reloading section?

Reloading - SKS-FILES FORUM - Page 1 of 1

LC, here's a target scan I had showing that cast plinker I make with 12 gr. of 2400 powder.  Never chronied it, but it's gotta be close to sub-sonic. 
The group size seemed to be getting better the lower I went, but this was the lowest load I've tried so far, and it won't cycle the action, which is actually pretty handy for my reloadable brass.  (and for noise suppression)

I'ma hafta try scaling them down even more and see how they do.  Be cool if they got even better.  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 11:54:08 PM »
Jd I'm impressed, that's a danged good group!  thumb1