Author Topic: Mauser 12 gauge  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Mauser 12 gauge
« on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
Now before you go ballistic and say GM, it's a shotgun.....look real close, and remember, it is still completely German.  thumb1

This is a highly modified and converted Mauser Gewehr 98 rifle, and judging by some of the faint markings, I'd say possibly an Amberg. These were modified in Germany in the 20's through the 30's, along with the name Geha, there were two other makers, Remo and Hard Hit Heart. They can be found in 12, 16 and 20 gauges. Even the stock as you will see is a military stock, it still has stamps present. Now, given the age, the 12 is only chambered in 2 9/16 or 2 1/2, using an American 2 3/4 shell could and will not end well, in other words, it could kill you. The 12 you will notice, it uses the safety lug of the 3 lug Mauser action to lock the action, the front 2 main lugs are machined away due to the bore diameter. Using the safety lug in of it's self is fairly safe given a shot shells low pressure, BUT, using the modern longer shell in the shorter chamber could easily exceed the pressures. The mag is fully functional as well, it will hold a shell or two and reload as you cycle the action. The butt pad from what I understand has a plausible need, don't know how old it is, this thing only weighs like 5 or 6 pounds if your lucky, and reported recoil is rough.

Also the bolt head which is commonly missing to adapt the 8x57mm bolt to 12 gauge is also missing, see the last photo, it's an adapter that kind of fits up in the bolt. usually lost when cycling the action really fast. I've got a replacement coming in the mail. Firing with out it is also dangerous, as the pressures could blow the end of the shell out, again not ending well. While cleaning it, I did find the remnants of a shotgun primer in the bolt, which means.....  :o

So all and all.....it's a wonderful old German rifle that could kill from both ends  thumb1  Think I'll just fix it and put it with my Swiss .41 rimfire.. no need to go for the Darwin Valedictorian award

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Mauser 12 gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
Cool piece of history thumb1 The groove in the receiver for sighting is another interesting feature.

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
i saw one of these recently for sale, same price as any other single shot 12g, but i didnt know if it was a conversion of some sort or factory or a really good bubba, so i ignored it.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:49:36 PM »
I think SGammo has some 2 1/2 inch shells. You should try it. But just to be safe make sure someone is filming  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:22:14 PM »
Well I had a friend who had a magnaflux machine, we checked and rechecked the bolt for cracks or fractures, all good, no cracks thumb1   So, in theory, it should be safe to fire, I just may, when I gird up my loins and feel brave, go ahead and touch her off.. Maybe  :-\  I found 2 1/2 inch shells locally, box says "safe for any shotgun"... Now how much faith do I have in whats written on a cardboard box...think1

This is the adapter,  expensive little bastard.. 45 bucks for that tiny thing...anyway, it allows the small 8mm bolt to handle the large 12ga shell. The only thing that holds it in the bolt and why it gets lost so easily is it's held in the bolt by the extractor. The machined portion while it goes in the bolt is not what I would say is tight, the adapter will fall out if the extractor didn't grip it. The extractor is modified in such a way, it holds both the adapter in place and the shell.

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:07 AM »
You never quite do you  thumb1 Oh boy. If it says on the box your good to go then your good to go chuckles1 Just bump fire it from the hip or send it to me ill do it. and Put that little short bbl sks buddy with it in the box. 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 12:34:49 AM »
You never quite do you  thumb1 Oh boy. If it says on the box your good to go then your good to go chuckles1 Just bump fire it from the hip or send it to me ill do it. and Put that little short bbl sks buddy with it in the box.

Man...you really don't like me, do ya  rofl2 chuckles1 Bump firing a bolt action and send that awful horrible short "assault" weapon to Cali.. Go ahead...blow yourself up and if you live, go to jail, don't pass go, don't collect the 200 bucks..  nea1   rofl2 rofl

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
Actually pretty cool what your doing there. I guess you could do the old dentist trick with some string and a vise if you do end up testing it. Maybe dump the guts out of a round just for test purpose and work your way up.  thumb1