Author Topic: A special S&W Model 66  (Read 2625 times)

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
A special S&W Model 66
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
I bought this S&W Model 66 from my next door neighbor whose husband was a Memphis policeman. The serial number places it's year of manufacture to be 1972, considered the first year of the model. It belonged to Officer Larry Childress, MPD. Officer Childress was killed while answering a home invasion call on January 14, 1982. My neighbor's husband obtained it from the estate's lawyer. This firearm occupies a special spot in my collection.

Rare stainless sights that are found on early Model 66s and still has the trigger stop.
LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
Re: A special S&W Model 66
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
06 beat me.  Cool firearm and story.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »
A very nice write up Sheepdog, it's good that it's in the hands of someone that appreciates the history.

The holster is a Jordan River Holster designed by William "Bill" Jordan (retired U.S. Border Patrol) several years back and very popular with Peace Officers in the 70's and 80's. He designed it with a slight rearward cant to ride easier while sitting in a vehicle. I carried the plain black version for about 15 years of my career.

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »
Very nice!  I have a stainless 66-3 that went through a house fire and was brought back from the dead.  Mine has blued sights.  I've never seen the stainless ones on yours before.  Very clean!

Offline Saigon1965

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:34 AM »
OP - Have you consider getting a letter from Roy Jinks to confirm ship to, ect. -