Author Topic: remington 552  (Read 7457 times)

Offline shemhamforash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
remington 552
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:22:52 AM »
the speedmaster..........ah yes, many a cottontail hath fallen to it's glory
no pics as of yet but it looks like any you can find online

it's supposed to cycle short, long and long rifle.........but only cycles LR

what's up with that?

from serial datin' it's an 80's vintage and dosen't look overly used...........for shorts im using remington golden bullet primarily and it's a gamble weather or not it cycles, short strokes or just cycles the shot and ejects but dosen't chamber the following round........

i tried cci hollow point shorts with the same results and would love to try MORE brands of shorts but due to the continued lack of ammo...........i'm wondering if there's any insight on this situation that's not ammo related

cheers

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: remington 552
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:22 AM »
I don't believe they were ever supposed to cycle shorts and longs.  Its a blowback action and they simply dont have the power.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm not so sure they are really supposed to cycle anything but LR. Does it actually say on the barrel short, long and long rifle?

I had a Fieldmaster (first brand new gun I bought myself when I was a kid) and since it was a pump I could cycle anything. What a great gun that was, never should have traded it for my first SKS. Should have just bought the SKS and kept the Fieldmaster. Oh well, the dumb stuff we do when we are young.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
The Freedom Group website says it cycles shorts longs and long rifle. chuckles1
http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/rimfire-families/autoloading-model-552-speedmaster.aspx

Being an actual '80's "Remington" when they actually made good quality stuff, something in the production or design could have changed in the last....30 or so years.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
Good luck with that.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Garand1957

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:19:24 PM »
Never fired anything but LR in my 552 BDL.
Great rifle and accurate.
Never had any feed issues with it shooting LR but I can't see how it would ever cycle with shorts.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »
While I miss my Fieldmaster and I can't replace it right now (they got expensive) I did find two mid-70's Marlin model 60's for decent prices so I picked them up with the intention of eventually passing one each onto my daughters. In CT they are ideal because not only will they not have the same cycling issues of a semi-auto but also the CT 10 rd limit doesn't apply to tube mag rimfire rifles.  So I can legally carry more in them than a 10/22 with a 10 rd limit on the detachable mag for example. These older model 60's have metal parts with very little plastic on them. They officially hold 18 rds but you can cram 20 in them if you have to. Not sure how good that is for the magazine plunger spring thingy so I don't really do that but they will fit. New model 60's are half plastic and only hold 14 rds.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
Wasn't there a gallery version that would only shoot shorts? I can't recall for sure if I tried shorts in mine...

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »
Back in the day Rem made many short only gallery guns.  Even takedown models that fit in a breifcase.  This was very popular and city dwellers would get off work and go to clubs setup in the back rooms and basements of pubs etc.

It was like carrying around your darts or your pool stick.....   heck, carnivals and fairs used to shoot shorts.

Offline Garand1957

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:46:17 AM »
Back in the day Rem made many short only gallery guns.  Even takedown models that fit in a breifcase.  This was very popular and city dwellers would get off work and go to clubs setup in the back rooms and basements of pubs etc.

It was like carrying around your darts or your pool stick.....   heck, carnivals and fairs used to shoot shorts.

I have a model 1890 Winchester pump .22 short that was often called a "gallery gun".
I never heard of a semi-auto gallery gun, I thought they were all pump action rifles with bent front sight posts lol

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »
The 552 WILL cycle shorts, longs, and long rifles, but you have to provide a pull on the charging handle for the shorts and probably the longs.

Now this will probably devolve into "what's the definition of cycle".

I bought mine in the seventies, for $59.95.  It was a pretty cool gun, but I pretty much swore off tube feeds when I got my first Ruger 10-22.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »
Well, the 10/22 is a great gun and that's the gun I really wanted when I got my Fieldmaster when I was a kid but my dad didn't want me to get a semi auto right off the bat. That said, that Fieldmaster was a much nicer gun, much more accurate, etc. What the 10/22 has over the Fieldmaster is the ability to accept a detachable magazine which gives greater round capacity in free states, lots of accessories and it's smaller/shorter if you want that. Here in communist occupied CT the tube feed rimfire rifles offer greater capacity due to their exemption from the 10rd limit that applies to detachable mags like in the 10/22.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
The 552 WILL cycle shorts, longs, and long rifles, but you have to provide a pull on the charging handle for the shorts and probably the longs.

Now this will probably devolve into "what's the definition of cycle".

I bought mine in the seventies, for $59.95.  It was a pretty cool gun, but I pretty much swore off tube feeds when I got my first Ruger 10-22.  jd

If I come across one of those tube fed Mossberg bolt actions from the '40s at a screaming deal, I would definitely buy...
I have a 42 clone with a box mag, and due to procrastination it is likely the only mag I will have for it. That tube fed will keep on chuckin'!