Author Topic: Need help with Identifying SKS  (Read 450 times)

Offline Tbd1966

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Need help with Identifying SKS
« on: April 10, 2023, 01:07:44 PM »
Im new to the forum and have just recently acquired 2 SKS’s.  I’m not sure what I have other than they appear to be Russian, manufactured in 1954.

I’ve attached pics and can attach more if needed but needed help with deciding if these are collectible or just shooters.  Also, a value would also be helpful.  I’m only including pics of one but both are similar in condition. 

Most numbers match, however the magazine cover was clearly taken off another SKS.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Need help with Identifying SKS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 01:43:14 PM »
Welcome to the Files!

This particular carbine is a '54 Izhevsk Russian SKS45.  From the photos I can tell that it is a CAI import (due to the transliteration of the Cyrillic letters in the S/N which was a CAI specific thing).   The mismatching magazine with the lined out original S/N and EP'd correct number indicates that this gun was refurbished prior to import into the US.  Looks to be in relatively decent shape for being an almost 70 year old firearm!

If it had been as-issued, you'd likely have a $1200 to $1500 carbine on your hands there as they are quite desirable (though not as tough to find as 1953 Izhevsks are).  These '54 refurbs are still desirable to collectors wanting any Izhevsk in their collection and usually fetch a pretty healthy premium over an equal condition Tula.  As it currently sits, you might be able to pull $900 in a hotly contested auction (maybe), but I'd say $750 is probably the floor for an Izhevsk in this condition these days.  If the stock cartouche is correct and the S/N is matching you may pull another $100 or so vs. if it has a generic refurbished stock. 

The other carbine you have may or may not be this one's equal but we would need photos of it to verify for certain. thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »
Welcome to the Files Tbd1966.

Nice Ruskie you have there.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 03:32:08 PM »
Nice! Any Izhevsk SKS is a good score. I’d say it’d easily fetch north of 1K on GunBroker, even with the refurbishment-matched parts.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 10:48:19 PM »

I’ve attached pics and can attach more if needed but needed help with deciding if these are collectible or just shooters.  Also, a value would also be helpful.  I’m only including pics of one but both are similar in condition. 

If you're not familiar with the SKS platform, you need pictures of both rifles. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798