Author Topic: 1957 Tula  (Read 702 times)

Offline Rozzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
1957 Tula
« on: March 09, 2023, 02:20:04 PM »
Recently picked up this sks at auction knowing not much more than the basics; it turned out to be a letter series (I/И) and unfired, nonetheless. The stock is still covered in all the original markings, a few odd ones.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: 1957 Tula
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 04:04:55 PM »
Very nice SKS-45 you have there Rozzy, and welcome to the Files
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 04:06:19 PM »
That's a very nice carbine, welcome to the boards!  Something about the stock (and I can't quite put my finger on what *it* is) gives me a bit of the heebie jeebies, but that's probably just me being me! :P

It's not unusual to see right side stamps on a crossbolt on an "as-issued" '57.  The square 1 or square 7 looks right in place as squares surrounding numbers is particularly common on '57s based on what I've seen in the database. 

Boris is correct on that oval or "0" with the ~ in it.  Very unusual, I've never seen a mark like that before.  There is always something new with these carbines though.  Once you think you know one thing, two more blindside you and you're back to square one!  thumb1

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 05:03:53 PM »
Great looking rifle, the stock is boss. The Russians sure like their proofs. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 06:07:12 PM »
That's a very nice carbine, welcome to the boards!  Something about the stock (and I can't quite put my finger on what *it* is) gives me a bit of the heebie jeebies, but that's probably just me being me! :P

It's not unusual to see right side stamps on a crossbolt on an "as-issued" '57.  The square 1 or square 7 looks right in place as squares surrounding numbers is particularly common on '57s based on what I've seen in the database. 

One thing I find particularly interesting about right side crossbolt stamps when we see them, is how often they are paired with sharp edges on the crossbolt inletting holes-- i.e. indicating virtually no wear from use.

All of these examples above are no different. Thanks for sharing these photos, rm.

Offline Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 06:55:01 PM »

Very nice catch  thumb1

Welcome from NC !

Offline Rozzy

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 09:23:53 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the inputs. Glad I really got to identify it before I just assumed it was a refurb, that top cover was throwing me off but there was no refurbishment mark or characteristics of any refurb work. Appreciate the help!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 09:55:42 PM »
That’s definitely a great looking’57. Congrats on the win  thumb1

Offline Rozzy

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks, I've been on a bit of a lucky streak I guess. Grabbed a 2 digit sn Venezuelan contract fn49 earlier this year, mint barrel and internals. Pretty cool it has a lot of characteristics from some of the preproduction rifles. There's just something special about these midcentury pieces.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 03:01:04 PM »
Thanks, I've been on a bit of a lucky streak I guess. Grabbed a 2 digit sn Venezuelan contract fn49 earlier this year, mint barrel and internals. Pretty cool it has a lot of characteristics from some of the preproduction rifles. There's just something special about these midcentury pieces.

Nice rifle. I'm fond of Fabrique Nationale firearms and those FN49s were well build attractive semi-auto battle rifles. The Venezeulan FN49 has eluded me but I have an Egyptian contract in 7.92x57mm and a Luxembourg conract in 7.62x63mm (.30-06)

Offline Rozzy

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 03:51:52 PM »
Funny enough I have another Venezuelan that was listed as Egyptian, had some minor "sporting" changes done to it prior. Last month I got a late variant Luxembourg as well.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 06:19:03 PM »
Congrats on your '57. That year letter gun still eludes me.