Author Topic: Russian Serial Numbers  (Read 18957 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Russian Serial Numbers
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 05:30:58 PM »
OK, I am real confused Mine has two letters before the serial number backwards 'N' then a thing that looks like an 'A' without the crossbar or possibly a small 'n' SN after these is 1406

Two letter prefixes, such as your ИЛ (transliterated from Cyrillic as IL) are the normal letter blocks. The only "letter guns" are the 1956-58 ДИК  (D, I, K) suffix guns from Tula.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 06:28:06 PM »
OK, I am real confused Mine has two letters before the serial number backwards 'N' then a thing that looks like an 'A' without the crossbar or possibly a small 'n' SN after these is 1406

Welcome to the SKS-Files.  Based on the photo and that S/N compared to the somewhat limited information I have in the database, I would guess that your carbine was built in 1954.

The only ИЛ prefixed carbines I have are '51 and '54.  Seeing how your carbine does not have the early tall flat on the receiver round that a '51 would have, '54 appears to be the default option. 

Here is a nice as-issued carbine about 1200 units away:

Offline protank123@msn.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 11:27:32 PM »
thank ypu for the info. I thought it was a 1957. Mine has no other markings, no marking at all on the dust cover nor does it have the little star on the side of the receiver. It has a scope mount on it now but came with the original dust cover. Thanks, Great site/ I have two chinese a Yugo and a Romanian. Love those old SKS's

drake high quality pictures