Author Topic: Unissued (?) Soviet stock.1952-- no serial, crossbolt. Butt plate in wax paper.  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
It's for sale on the trader over at gunboards...

Of particular interest is the image of the butt plate-- apparently still sealed in wax(?) paper, as well as the absent serial number, but crisp date and arsenal stamps

It also appears to be void of crossbolt stamps.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/sks-stock-1952-tula.1211822/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 12:00:19 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Possible unissued Soviet stock dated 1952-- no serial:
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »
WOW, good grab. I haven't been on gunboards for several years now.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Possible unissued Soviet stock dated 1952-- no serial:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 11:30:16 AM »
WOW, good grab. I haven't been on gunboards for several years now.
Lucky catch. It had only been listed fir about 45minutes when i saw it in my feed

I couldn't pass it up.

Ive never seen a Soviet stock in apparent unfinished and unissued condition.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
I'm also curious if there is a cleaning kit sealed inside the butt stock beneath the wax paper.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:59:39 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
I'm also curious if there is a cleaning kit sealed inside the butt stock beneath the wax paper.

That would certainly be a bonus.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Interesting 'charcoaled' finish on that one, very reminiscent of several of the /1\ Irkutsk stamped guns.  Also has a toe splice, very interesting specimen there.  If you have discussions with the seller, ask him if he knows the history of how it came to the US...

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Interesting 'charcoaled' finish on that one, very reminiscent of several of the /1\ Irkutsk stamped guns.  Also has a toe splice, very interesting specimen there.  If you have discussions with the seller, ask him if he knows the history of how it came to the US...

The seller says he acquired the stock from Brent "Tuco" Snodgrass-- the founder of Gunboards.com . The auction was for a large bin of mostly Mosin Nagant parts (mostly handguards and slings as far as I can tell), and the stock just happened to be included. I don't know yet how long ago the seller acquired the stock, but I have sent further inquiries.

At first I thought I would be satisfied to just ask the seller for more photos. But I was so intrigued by the strange combination of traits suggestive of an "possible" unfinished OEM stock, that it seemed like a  prudent purchase.

Should be a few weeks until it arrives. Expect a s***-ton of photos once it arrives.

I will be thrilled if it has a cleaning kit hidden inside.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Really interesting find with the lack of a serial number, and beautiful finish as well! This'll be a fun one to investigate with pictures.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
Nice snag. 

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Jealous - great grab!

Offline Hotrod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Where is it?!?

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Can you post a pic?

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Please excuse me for dropping the ball.  I haven't gotten back to the stock since it first arrived.

It got stowed away, while life got in the way. But I hope to be able to get it out again in the next few weeks to examine it closely and compare it to another stock from a complete 1952 rifle.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Hey Boris, what ever happened with the stock? Was it all you expected? Any pics ever get posted here or elsewhere? Sounds interesting, for sure.

firstchoice

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Tbh, i still havent gotten around to it. I've been dealing with medical issues since late March.

Turned out to be a rare high grade form of a rare type of cancer.  Scans, jabs, more jabs, more scans, and 6 hours in surgery and more scans  on the way and possibly more surgery and also radiation... yadda yadda, blah blah and so forth.

The stock is still in the box it came in. It's on my to do list. I  just haven't gotten around to it.

I spend time on the forums still, not as much. Im pretty healthy still so i try to get out a lot. Hike about 12-15 miles a weekwith our 2 dogs and aiming to ride 75-100 miles per week on my bike before more treatment or surgery. Even got out to the range twice in the last motnh  after two years off  since moving back  to California.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:22:44 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Hate that for you BB.  There seems to be a lot of cancer running rampant these days.  Hope everything works out! 

Will be praying for your health.  Please don’t hesitate to holler if you need anything from us!

-RM

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
Very interesting color of wood

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Sorry to hear that Boris! Sounds like you’re taking a good approach to keeping yourself in fighting shape before the next round. Best wishes on the fight!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Hate that for you BB.  There seems to be a lot of cancer running rampant these days.  Hope everything works out! 

Will be praying for your health.  Please don’t hesitate to holler if you need anything from us!

-RM

Thanks rm. I'm in with UCSF -- one of the top cancer centers in the country.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Sorry to hear that Boris! Sounds like you’re taking a good approach to keeping yourself in fighting shape before the next round. Best wishes on the fight!

Thanks, Phos!