Author Topic: got to digging around today and found  (Read 1723 times)

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
got to digging around today and found
« on: January 24, 2021, 05:15:29 PM »
got to digging around today in the gunroom and found a Red Star 4x20 scope in a box with a star 20 mag, did not remember anything about either , i knew i already had one of the mags , wasnt aware of the second or the scope

anyone know anything in regards to the scope , not looking to part with it ,was just wondering about collectability and value , thanks
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: got to digging around today and found
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
If the scope is in the box or has an eye shade, they can have some collector value. But they're usually crappy optics wise. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
got a reply from a mod on another forum said they are hard to find these days , im sure it and the 20 rd Star mag were on a SKS when i bought it , i took them off returned to stock , but sold when i did the purge because it wasnt matching
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:01:26 AM »
I have five of them and like them...especially the one with the PU reticle.  I am actually kind of on the lookout for another.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 04:59:51 AM »
I have five of them and like them...especially the one with the PU reticle.  I am actually kind of on the lookout for another.
like i said ,not looking to sell ,was just asking about it ,also as i said im pretty sure i took it and the 20 rd star mag off a rifle i purchased and chucked in a box never giving either another thought

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 05:02:56 AM »
If the scope is in the box or has an eye shade, they can have some collector value. But they're usually crappy optics wise. PAX
got to be honest with you , took it outside yesterday and peeped through it and was surprised at the clarity and magnification , if i were to ever have any concerns they would be regarding a china scope holding zero

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:11:03 AM »
Those 20 round magazines work pretty good actually... or at least mine do.  They go for good money now days. 

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 10:46:49 AM »
got to be honest with you , took it outside yesterday and peeped through it and was surprised at the clarity and magnification , if i were to ever have any concerns they would be regarding a china scope holding zero

I think that was the issues I'd heard of. They would/could fail internally. I've got one that came with my T89 mount that I've save for originality purposes. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
Those 20 round magazines work pretty good actually... or at least mine do.  They go for good money now days.
i have a pair of them now , i knew about the one , but the second i was clueless , i have so much crap i box's i have no idea what i will uncover

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »

I think that was the issues I'd heard of. They would/could fail internally. I've got one that came with my T89 mount that I've save for originality purposes. PAX
agreed , i do not believe it would be something i would actually pursue  using , but its something i can see having a novelty collectors value ,which is why i will hang onto it

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »
like i said ,not looking to sell ,was just asking about it ,also as i said im pretty sure i took it and the 20 rd star mag off a rifle i purchased and chucked in a box never giving either another thought

I meant I am on the lookout for another with the PU reticle...those are rare as hens teeth it seems. The only one I have ever seen is mine.  A dearly departed member knew of them, and let me know how rare they are.  The only difference on the original boxes between a typical one and the PU type is a garage sale type round sticker with P sharpied on it.
I like them for the nostalgia factor of them going along with the early aftermarket stuff and the customized in the US commercial SKS oddities.  They are also a perfectly tidy optic for the platform, allowing for stripper use, while providing realistic magnification.   The PU type reticle also lends itself to my crummy eyesight to be less in focus and the objective to be better focused, far better than the normal P4 type.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »
gotcha