Author Topic: C series M59  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
C series M59
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:05:49 AM »
Another M59, this is a "C" series. This was another Allan's Armory find. This one caught my eye because of the purplish receiver and the dark close grain stock. It didn't have the typical large grain lighter elm stock on it. The stock was heat soaked over several weeks and never lightened up in color, it's still just as dark, very little if any seepage comes from the wood now.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: C series M59
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »
This thing is sick. (In an awesome kind of way of course)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »
Very Nice GM. I am still trying to get my hands on an M59. Is there a breakdown or explanation on the letter series of the M59? Do they represent a year of manufacture? or?
Thanks
Brian

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Okay, I really like this rifle with the "battle-worn" look but I gotta know. What the heck is the object in the leather pouch in the first two photos?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
From what I gather, they were made somewhere between 1959 and 1967. No "A" suffix has been seen that I know of, I do believe there may be a no-suffix version.  The "B" series is very uncommon, the "C" series is the most common M59, but in contrast to M59/66 production, the M59 overall is a very low production model.

Okay, I really like this rifle with the "battle-worn" look but I gotta know. What the heck is the object in the leather pouch in the first two photos?
That is a Yugoslavian oiler, there is two type slings as well, the leather and a fabric sling, leather is most common associated with the M59.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
From what I gather, they were made somewhere between 1959 and 1967. No "A" suffix has been seen that I know of, I do believe there may be a no-suffix version.  The "B" series is very uncommon, the "C" series is the most common M59, but in contrast to M59/66 production, the M59 overall is a very low production model.
Thanks GM, I have seen the different letters on the M59 and M59/66, but never knew what they meant.  I have been trying to work a deal out on a "C" series here locally, but the condition is not that great, and the seller won't budge.
Brian

Offline Crazyone

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • This won't hurt a bit!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »
I was lucky enough to get a C series off of Armslist--it's in the classic Elm stock and although it was being fired it is one beautiful rifle. I think when I looked it up the B series was the earlier of the two series --??  I think mine was C-44215 and made towards the end of production on them.  I got a kick out of the number system on them--all magazines had a part number rather than a specific rifle number. Seems that applied to other parts that didn't require precise fitting--they would fit any 59- or for that matter probably a lot of other countries SKS.  I may be wrong but  it gets tougher when you get old to get the rust out of your brain--and no--mineral oil won't help at all--or will it??
Give me your poor-your broke-your homeless-Blued & Birch Letter guns and your DDR/Liski's !