Author Topic: Box of guns  (Read 5295 times)

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Box of guns
« on: October 22, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
Hey guys...

Its been a minute since Ive been on much due to business workloads but I wanted to pose a general question.  I have this box of guns and wanted to know your thoughts on selling.  I have a couple of them and I didnt know if I should sell them as a package or sell them individually or in doubles? 

I think the timing is good and I have some expenses coming up in the spring that I will need this money from a sale to use.  My brother tells me I should send them to an  auction.  Any thoughts?

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Box of guns
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »
Oh Lord......
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
It is true... lol.  I just dont know which direction I should take.   :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
Adopt me!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »
I consider you guys family.   dance2

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
Dang, just dang!

Where are you at again?(basically asking US or Canada)

There is a guy selling a crate of those on GB with a starting price of $9999.99, but it just keeps on recycling cause nobody is going to pay that much. Your other issue is, who has that much money? Sell it as a crate to a dealer and he is going to want lowball price so he can make the profit. Selling 1x1 gets your max price, but it will vary and take more time. If you sell in an auction style you won't want to post them all at once or you are competing with yourself and the price drops. Set a price on a BIN and you can sell them all from one listing. Either way you have to come up with boxes for each set up, take care of your postage and insurance, deal with question/answers, non-payors, etc, etc. If you sell a complete crate they will have to be shipped by freight, not common carrier(UPS/FEDEX/USPS)

Just some food for thought.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
Dang, just dang!

Where are you at again?(basically asking US or Canada)

There is a guy selling a crate of those on GB with a starting price of $9999.99, but it just keeps on recycling cause nobody is going to pay that much. Your other issue is, who has that much money? Sell it as a crate to a dealer and he is going to want lowball price so he can make the profit. Selling 1x1 gets your max price, but it will vary and take more time. If you sell in an auction style you won't want to post them all at once or you are competing with yourself and the price drops. Set a price on a BIN and you can sell them all from one listing. Either way you have to come up with boxes for each set up, take care of your postage and insurance, deal with question/answers, non-payors, etc, etc. If you sell a complete crate they will have to be shipped by freight, not common carrier(UPS/FEDEX/USPS)

Just some food for thought.

Yes... this.  I have run this scenario over in my head a few times already.  They are consecutive serials which is kinda of rare I guess.  Some people would say it makes no difference and others say it does... which is why I asked maybe breaking the crate into doubles if collectors would want that. 

Not sure which is the reason for the post.  Thank you for the input.  What would you do?

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:28:03 PM »
And I am in Tennessee.  8)

owenj492

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »

So am I! west, middle, or east? And I'm just drooling over that crate of Yugo's, all numbers matching? Importer name?

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 02:31:46 PM »
They are not mine but if they were, I would try to sell them individually and not by the crate.  I may be wrong but that is what I would do.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »

So am I! west, middle, or east? And I'm just drooling over that crate of Yugo's, all numbers matching? Importer name?

Im in the middle.  Outside of Nashville.  I have not actually broken any of the rifles down but what it appears like is these were issued out and stayed in the crate since mfg..  They probably went in and out of the crate over the years to be inspected/serviced but this crate is consecutive. 

This one is not but still in very good condition.  I think both boxes are PW arms.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 02:42:47 PM »
They are not mine but if they were, I would try to sell them individually and not by the crate.  I may be wrong but that is what I would do.

Well this was what I was thinking because I dont need the money at this moment so have time... but when asking on another forum to some friends several comments came up about those consecutive serial numbers.  Sooo thought I would ask the with you guys.

Thank you for the input.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 02:53:46 PM »
What letter block are these? I would try and sell a 2,3 or 4 block or all in blocks of 2. Not individually if they were mine. And when you decide I may be interested.  thumb1

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »
What letter block are these? I would try and sell a 2,3 or 4 block or all in blocks of 2. Not individually if they were mine. And when you decide I may be interested.  thumb1

Lets see... I believe the first box is J block.  The others are a smattering of different blocks.  Their are some consecutive rifles in the 2nd one as well I believe.  Its been a couple years since I looked at them. 

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »

I would tend toward this line. If they are all the same letter block then sell in pairs or above, collectors will like this. And if someone wants three then it is at a premium price because that means someone else will possibly NOT get a sequential pair.
If these are truely pristine, as they appear, Starting at no less than $1600 a pair and if they want a third then $2500 for 3, 4 at $3200.

As Bob mentioned, if more than 1 letter block then separate by letters and sell accordingly.

As for shipping, you are in a good area for people to travel and do a local FFL near you to eliminate all that. Otherwise, find a dealer or carton/box company where you can get or buy on the cheap good boxes(heavy duty) to ship in. If shipping in pairs it's going to run at least $75 insured I imagine. Keep n mind, M59/66A1s are longer than other SKSs and will need a longer box. This adds to cost. over 48" they hit you with a $15 surcharge with FedEx. I know USPS and UPS do the same but not sure how much. USPS has a shorter length cutoff than UPS and FedEx. Can you tell I've done this a time or two before? :))
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »

Im in the middle.  Outside of Nashville.  I have not actually broken any of the rifles down but what it appears like is these were issued out and stayed in the crate since mfg..  They probably went in and out of the crate over the years to be inspected/serviced but this crate is consecutive. 

This one is not but still in very good condition.  I think both boxes are PW arms.

Middle TN here also, in Maury county, keep up posted on what you might do, I would be interested in one or two!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
You can also, if selling on GunBroker or similar, do like the dealers do. List the letter blocks available(not the complete SN) and offer a premium for hand select to get the letter they want.

owenj492

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 03:11:20 PM »
There is a Lebanon (TN) Gun Show coming up in Nov. 7 and 8....

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/lebanon-tn-gun-show/

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »
Another thing you could do BM is buy cheap double rifle plastic cases(Plano or the like) in the box. Add the cost to the sale price and ship the pairs of rifles in the cases with the cases inside the boxes they came in. Just a thought.

Or then again there's this;

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »

Is that at the AG extension building?