Author Topic: Yugoslavian SKS Cherry GSO  (Read 1679 times)

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
Yugoslavian SKS Cherry GSO
« on: August 19, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »
Picked this up today, not sure if this is dried cosmoline or some kind of clear coat on the metal, mineral spirits did nothing, but Big Frontier 45 and CLP and elbow grease removed most of it:

owenj492

Re: Yugoslavian SKS Cherry GSO
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »
Gunbroker pictures prior to me taking it apart.....

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
nice, thanks for sharing Owen.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

owenj492

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »
nice, thanks for sharing Owen.  thumb1

Thanks! Upon further inspection, it seems to be dried cosmoline, never dealt with "dried" cosmoline before, pain in the butt to remove!

She's a beauty, perfect match to my other Cherry 1987 Yugo!

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 08:37:34 PM »
 thumb1

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 04:00:19 PM »
Looks nice and shiny. :)   What did it set you back ?
THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »
Very nice M59/66A1 you picked up there Owen. I always liked the inventory Cherry's has had over the years. Hard to beat.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »
Very nice M59/66A1 you picked up there Owen. I always liked the inventory Cherry's has had over the years. Hard to beat.

Thank you!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »
Looking at the before pics again, it almost looks like varnish, shellac, or maybe even gym seal(which is made for wood floors and very hard to remove)

I wasn't paying attention before, but I have never seen an OEM Yugo of any flavor that had anything but oil on the stock and never shiny like that. Not saying I've seen every single Yugo in the country though.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 06:25:57 PM »
I forgot to update that it is dried cosmoline, it will need to be heated with a heat gun or maybe hair dryer to remove, I haven't done anything to it other than seal it in a rust proof bag for storage, some time in the future I will dig it out and remove the dried cosmoline, I did clean it because a prior owner fired it and did not clean the residue from firing the weapon.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
I forgot to update that it is dried cosmoline, it will need to be heated with a heat gun or maybe hair dryer to remove, I haven't done anything to it other than seal it in a rust proof bag for storage, some time in the future I will dig it out and remove the dried cosmoline, I did clean it because a prior owner fired it and did not clean the residue from firing the weapon.

Did you try brake cleaner? I use that all the time to get cosmoline off, may suck some of your bluing out though if you use too much.

owenj492

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 09:19:53 PM »
I have not used brake cleaner yet.....I dug it out (rifle) and started with a heat gun on the receiver cover, removed most of it, then used Big 45 Frontier and oil and helped a lot....also got it off one end of the gas tube, being very gentle due to it is a Cherry GSO!