Author Topic: New 59/66 came in..  (Read 5503 times)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: New 59/66 came in..
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 04:59:54 PM »
TBone -

I love lever guns too. A lot.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Tbone13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
TBone -

For me they are the perfect combination of shootability and simplicity. The hammer is external for ease of use. The sights just automatically line up when I raise it to my shoulder.
They are chambered in everything from .22 to 45-70 so whatever game you're after there is a perfect lever for that.
Being a lefty they don't spit gases or brass in my face or have a safety on the wrong side (like the SKS!)
All this and they are fairly light and handy, rugged, have a long tradition here in America, and have walnut stocks and blue steel.
Love em, I do. Especially my Henry .44 magnum carbine. 

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 08:01:19 PM »
4 Colt, 22LR, and 30-30.

Had an original unrestored 44-40, a 32-20 in wall hanger shape and a 32-20 professionally restored is years past.

Also being correct handed, I understand what you're saying about the other issues as well.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
.32-20-- oh yeah.
I've had Marlins in .30-30 336C and .357. The .357 was an 1894 cowboy limited. 
The cowboy never shot that well, but it was real purty.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 03:43:41 AM »
You just reminded me, I had an old Puma in 357.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
TBone -

For me they are the perfect combination of shootability and simplicity. The hammer is external for ease of use. The sights just automatically line up when I raise it to my shoulder.
They are chambered in everything from .22 to 45-70 so whatever game you're after there is a perfect lever for that.
Being a lefty they don't spit gases or brass in my face or have a safety on the wrong side (like the SKS!)
All this and they are fairly light and handy, rugged, have a long tradition here in America, and have walnut stocks and blue steel.

You've probably already seen them, but they do have ambidextrous safeties for the SKS. I tried to pull up a current ad for them and couldn't find anything current, so they may be harder to find now.

You can find some pics of the safeties on this Google page: (SKS Ambidextrous Safety)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00S0vg8utbXmH46f1SNMzk239vlrw:1593825271439&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=SKS+Ambidextrous+Safety&client=firefox-b-1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj3kY3ptbLqAhWFUs0KHfZNAwkQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1920&bih=955

firstchoice

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 01:09:23 AM »
TBone -

You've probably already seen them, but they do have ambidextrous safeties for the SKS. I tried to pull up a current ad for them and couldn't find anything current, so they may be harder to find now.

You can find some pics of the safeties on this Google page: (SKS Ambidextrous Safety)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00S0vg8utbXmH46f1SNMzk239vlrw:1593825271439&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=SKS+Ambidextrous+Safety&client=firefox-b-1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj3kY3ptbLqAhWFUs0KHfZNAwkQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1920&bih=955

firstchoice
I guess other lefties have cranked about that safety. Thanks for the links and info. Very interesting!

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 03:16:41 PM »
I don't know about younger southpaws, but when I was a kid, a lot of folks considered being left handed was a sign of the devil.

I'm not kidding. One of my cousins had his left hand tied to his waist for a month in a vain attempt to "convert" him. As it was, I just had to adapt to a right handed world. I remember the "lefty" scissors in grade school. NOBODY wanted those! Other kids would tease the crap out of you if you used those things.

I was taught to get along and learn to use things as they were.
Dad taught me to shoot right handed, and to this day I can swap hands pretty effectively.
Turns out that Dad did me a great favor. When I enlisted, if you shot lefty, you had to slap a piece of tape on your cheek so the brass from your M16 didn't burn you on the face.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 06:27:47 PM »
I'm one of those devil children. I'm right eye dominant so... I do a lot of things amphibious though!

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
Check this out :https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/sinister-left-dexter-right-history
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 11:58:49 PM »
I'm one of those devil children. I'm right eye dominant so... I do a lot of things amphibious though!

Bob, I assume that was an auto correct error :)).  Unless you ARE an ambidextrous amphibian  rofl.

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 01:32:46 AM »
I don't know about younger southpaws, but when I was a kid, a lot of folks considered being left handed was a sign of the devil.

I'm not kidding. One of my cousins had his left hand tied to his waist for a month in a vain attempt to "convert" him. As it was, I just had to adapt to a right handed world. I remember the "lefty" scissors in grade school. NOBODY wanted those! Other kids would tease the crap out of you if you used those things.

I was taught to get along and learn to use things as they were.
Dad taught me to shoot right handed, and to this day I can swap hands pretty effectively.
Turns out that Dad did me a great favor. When I enlisted, if you shot lefty, you had to slap a piece of tape on your cheek so the brass from your M16 didn't burn you on the face.
My dad born in 1920 was left handed. The nuns at his school tied his left hand to his belt.
He became right handed but still used his left for some things.
Being left handed is darned inconvenient. It's a right handed world.
I can write with either hand, but only swing the golf club or ball bat right handed.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »

Bob, I assume that was an auto correct error :)).  Unless you ARE an ambidextrous amphibian  rofl.

Nah, I'm screwing around as usual. I say that to people in person, you have to see the look on their face.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 01:54:41 PM »

Nah, I'm screwing around as usual. I say that to people in person, you have to see the look on their face.

I do stuff like that, too.

I usually use groin instead of growing or grown. Rub instead of love. Penis instead of peanuts....
It's not much, but it keeps me off the streets at night......
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
My dad born in 1920 was left handed. The nuns at his school tied his left hand to his belt.

My dad was born in ‘32 and dealt with similar (only it was a nun with a ruler looming over him for writing lefty). He writes right handed and does everything else lefty.  I’m a lefty and was never corrected, i write and eat left handed, but most everything else is with my right.  dntknw1  Shooting is much easier left handed, but I can shoot with equal results right handed.

Ambi SKS safeties are the bomb. There may or may not be one floating around a certain pay-it-forward box.  :P

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 11:49:40 PM »

My dad was born in ‘32 and dealt with similar (only it was a nun with a ruler looming over him for writing lefty). He writes right handed and does everything else lefty.  I’m a lefty and was never corrected, i write and eat left handed, but most everything else is with my right.  dntknw1  Shooting is much easier left handed, but I can shoot with equal results right handed.

Ambi SKS safeties are the bomb. There may or may not be one floating around a certain pay-it-forward box.  :P
Watching with a ruler wouldn't be as bad as tying up one hand. He could have fallen and broken his neck and it also left him at the mercy of his enemies. You know how grade school can be.
What is a pay-it-forward box? An ambidextrous safety might be a worthy doodad.
I have learned how to move it safely with the edge of my left thumb. Lefties have to cope. C'est la vie.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 11:56:53 AM »
I have learned how to move it safely with the edge of my left thumb. Lefties have to cope. C'est la vie.
Its a neat idea Larry D came up with.  We’re running it out of the members board. People grab up unused SKS/gun related stuff, put it in a box, and send it to the next guy on the list, they take what they want, rinse and repeat, Until it goes back to the original guy.   thumb1

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
Its a neat idea Larry D came up with.  We’re running it out of the members board. People grab up unused SKS/gun related stuff, put it in a box, and send it to the next guy on the list, they take what they want, rinse and repeat, Until it goes back to the original guy.   thumb1
Oh, I see. That's pretty cool.
Guys could toss in stuff they don't need to keep it going.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »
Oh, I see. That's pretty cool.
Guys could toss in stuff they don't need to keep it going.

Exactly.
Don't worry about missing out on round one...There are plenty more goodies to come. So scrounge around your parts bins and boxes and drawers and be ready for round two....plus a couple of other ideas I have rattling around my pea brain.....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »
I took some dubious pictures today with my cheapo new camera, but I thought y'all might like to see them anyway. A lot of boring serial numbers, but there's a little cutie holding up the Yugo for me. 

ludo die