Author Topic: Back to my roots  (Read 2948 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Back to my roots
« on: December 06, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
Hi Gun Junkies,

Kinda took a little break form SKSs and jumped on the Tommy Gun band wagon. 10/22s were my gateway drug to SKS and I have a few in various configurations. While perusing the rim fire section on Calguns, a poster happened to mention he retuned his 10/22  back to stock, after being in a  Chicago Type writer kit. I asked him if it was available, and voila, it's mine. The one in the 2 gun picture. I was hunting for a donor 10/22 when I came across the unit in the upper picture, Squad Leader style. Now I needed a finned barrel. I stumbled on a .45 Thompson searching for the barrel, and am in the midst of horse trading an FN49 for it. If I can talk the .45 owner into meeting me half way I'll be GTG. Zero to 3 in a month.

I did find a finned barrel, but it's attached to a complete rifle, so I may acquire it and sell the other kit. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Back to my roots
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »
Sell the other kit, you say.......

We should talk.......
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »
PAX, on the Trader, on the boards, someone is selling a Thompson pistol. FYI

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
very cool, thanks for sharing. see them every once in awhile on gun deals, just always  to much $$$$$ for my budget.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 09:09:17 PM »
very cool, thanks for sharing. see them every once in awhile on gun deals, just always  to much $$$$$ for my budget.

They rarely pop up these days and are fetching SKS dollars. The Fun Gun kits are discontinued for about a year now, and retailed around $300 bucks. Ruger 10/22s are tough to find in the wild cheap anymore as well. I stumbled onto these and thought it's now or never. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
How many rounds do they hold? I have the 50 and the OMG.... :o 100rd drum and a few stick mags for my Thompson. It's a heavy chunk with the drums, especially the 100rd.   The drums are cool.....looking, but a pain, have to use the third hand, I much prefer the sticks.

Drums on the Suomi are easier.. and a little lighter chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »
5 - 10/20 sticks and 1 - 10/50 drum for the .45 with a grip fin...it's Kali. The .22s can use hi-cap. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »
ooooh... I may just have to try hunt down one of those 10/22 kits.
I had a .45 Tommy knock off from the 70s with terrible feeding issues...traded it in the Sandy Hook gun melee for a 64 Chinese SKS and a T53 at a gun shop...and still had enough leftover credit for an ATI Monte stock and a 20 round promag duckbill and some German training x39.  I kinda felt bad for the shop's gunsmith...until I learned just how badly my parents were ripped off at panic priced ARs

The tommy had come from a trade for a Mac 11, which was obtained in a trade for a 10 year old Dell Pentium II tower.  chuckles1

These 10/22 kits might be just what I need to get my daughter a bit more into shooting...she likes the 10/22, and is a bit intimidated by anything else. I got her a Savage 22 WMR, but it's got a scope the size of LC's 1MOA project, and I think the black plastic doesn't do it for her....so I guess I bought myself a gun, oops. :)

Will standard 10/22 mags work with the kit as well? 

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 02:58:46 PM »
Will standard 10/22 mags work with the kit as well?

Any 10/22 mag works, it's a 10/22 at heart. I'll be getting some Promag 50 sticks and have a couple GRG 100s and a few Ruger 25 rounders already. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
Cool, good to hear....
Thanks for planting the seed of enablement. :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
You're welcome. It's our job  thumb1 PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 05:28:14 PM »
We should change the forums name to "The Enabler-Files" rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 dance2 dance2
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 07:08:05 PM »
I had a .45 Tommy knock off from the 70s with terrible feeding issues...

I remember those. They looked more like a stocked M3 grease gun, tubular receiver, 2 pistol grips with one attached to the butt ahead of the wrist. Stamped everything. The one I handled 40 years ago was painted black matt crinkle. Did have a blued finned barrel. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
I've stumbled across 2, both times, I was warned to avoid them. One shop owner flat out wouldn't take one on trade, said he'd rather have a Bryco Jennings brought in as trade.... But, I didn't have the testicular fortitude to admit I had a Bryco too.  :o rofl

Volunteer Arms I think was the name..

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »
I had a .45 Tommy knock off from the 70s with terrible feeding issues...

I remember those. They looked more like a stocked M3 grease gun, tubular receiver, 2 pistol grips with one attached to the butt ahead of the wrist. Stamped everything. The one I handled 40 years ago was painted black matt crinkle. Did have a blued finned barrel. PAX

Mine sounds just like that. IIRC the finning was also fake. The wood used seemed to be too nice for living all those years only to be attached to crap.
It was a Volunteer Arms in fact GM.  I kinda forgot about the krinkle paint too. The recoil spring on it was forceful enough that when the FMJ snagged on the feed ramp, it would hammer the bullet into the casing about a quarter inch. Scary AND wasteful. It was a hoot to shoot one round at a time, but kinda made the three grease gun mags more like portable ammo boxes. It looked pretty damn cool on the wall though.  I certainly don't regret trading it....although both it and the MAC were among only three guns I have ever parted with. The MAC is only about fifty yards away...someday it may come back to me. :)  Although, it really wasn't my thing.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
I went kinda looking at these after the OP.
There's also a kit to make a lookalike M1 carbine out of your 10/22. That company makes a device that snaps into the bottom of a regular 10 round mag to make it look like a stick mag.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
I went kinda looking at these after the OP.
There's also a kit to make a lookalike M1 carbine out of your 10/22. That company makes a device that snaps into the bottom of a regular 10 round mag to make it look like a stick mag.

I saw those and they looked pretty cool. One style is an MI carbine and the other one they have is a Paratrooper folding wire stock type.
There's also an M1 Garand kit. Next go round. PAX
  You need a crew  

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »
What's the name of the company that's making these kits? Or, the place that's selling them? I have several 10/22's that I've not done much with. It might be a new adventure!  Ya' bunch of enablers!  chuckles1

firstchoice

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 11:40:01 PM »
What's the name of the company that's making these kits? Or, the place that's selling them? I have several 10/22's that I've not done much with. It might be a new adventure!  Ya' bunch of enablers!  chuckles1

firstchoice

It WAS Scott Werx, Fun Gun Kits. Out of business for about a year (retired), which is the reason I jumped on these. They can be hard to find as a "kit". PAX
  You need a crew  

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »

firstchoice

It WAS Scott Werx, Fun Gun Kits. Out of business for about a year (retired), which is the reason I jumped on these. They can be hard to find as a "kit". PAX

Thanks PAX! I'll keep my eye out now. Got a fairly good gun show coming up this weekend. Something else to be on my radar now.

firstchoice