Author Topic: I want your opinion on .22 pistols  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
I want your opinion on .22 pistols
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:34:15 AM »
I want to pick up a .22 pistol, collectibility is not necessarily a requirement. I eventually may have more than one but to start I don't know which way to go. My thoughts have been towards a Ruger MKIV or other Ruger MK variant. Why Ruger? Glad you asked. I have a 10/22 that's about 30 yrs old and it got boogered up some how and would not chamber a round. I called Ruger and they acted like my rifle was a week old. AMAZING customer service, seriously! So, I figured since I'm drawn to the stainless Ruger MK's it only makes sense. What's the problem then, you ask? Well, I started thinking maybe a High Standard would be a better choice? I just don't know poop about either. I want YOUR OPINIONS whether they be first hand knowledge due to use/ownership or just plain "I think this is better than that" opinion.

PS on the Ruger model I was thinking about a bull (target/ threaded  wink1) or fluted (competition) barrel variant, if I go that way.

Thanks for your help! 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: I want your opinion on .22 pistols
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 10:49:51 AM »
So many choices, I have several revolvers and quite a few semiautos.... and yes I have both a Ruger revolver and a Mk2, but also Colts, High Standards, Iver Johnson, H&R and others, even a Russian Target pistol, a huge 22WMR target style pistol. My most recent one was..

The new Glock 44.. my 5th Glock, and I love this thing.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:56:21 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
I would look at 22mag instead of 22lr. More pop then the 22lr. Just my .02cents worth.
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
 I have a Ruger Mk III, SR22, S&W Victory, S&W 617 10-shot... love em all.  Can’t go wrong with a Ruger though I’m not crazy about the Mk IV.  I’ve reached that age where everything new is not as appealing as tried and true.  It’s just a phase of life with little logic to it.  My 617 is brand new, with the lock.  Best .22 revolver I have ever fired,  bar none.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:43:34 PM by yellowjacket »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
I would look at 22mag instead of 22lr. More pop then the 22lr. Just my .02cents worth.
Marcus

22Mags are fun too, but typically the economy vs. 22LR is not there. 22WMR runs where I live and ordering online, it costs more than 9mm does cost wise per round, and I can get 17HMR cheaper than 22WMR.

My last purchases were shipped/local, 22LR .05 a round, 22WMR .20 a round, 17HMR .15 a round, 9mm .18 a round.

22WMR

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 12:25:32 PM »
Hard to go wrong with a good ol' Ruger MKII.

Tons of great options these days.
Been eyeballing a Walther PPK at the LGS. Man, that's a neat little gun.

Single actions are a lot of fun, too.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »
I've got a Ruger MI target, Beretta Jaguar, H&R Sportsman, and a German single action .22 mag convertible. I like them all. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »
Even a nice Browning would work, I have a Browning Nomad, wonderful shooter.. I really like my High Standards and Colts... actually I'm looking at a Colt Challenger now, to go with the Targetsman and Woodsman I have, a H&R Sportsman and an Iver Johnson Sealed 8, a Ruger 50th year MkII, and some others.

I admit.. I am not a Ruger person... but I like revolvers, and they offer choices... 22LR or 22WMR

Even Commie rimfires are fun.. Russian IZH-35M....... yeah it's an Izhevsk

Offline Randy

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 04:40:56 PM »
On the much less expensive end of the spectrum is the Heritage series .22- some come in 9 shot and some come as convertible and at least one comes with a 16" barrel. All come with fun in mind. Not serious work guns but go bang every time and actually have a nice blued finish instead of painted and baked. Overall quality is arguably less than Ruger, but that's the price point too. I just started with .22 handguns myself and these seemed to be a way to do that for the least amount of money per unit of fun factor. But money paid is always a concern to me, the less expensive relative to quality received the better. These work out just fine in that regard. I got two on sale (both 6" and one was a 9 shot) for about $99 each. My wife got two from her place of employment which were customized with unique wooden slabs for that company for $145 out the door.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »
On the much less expensive end of the spectrum is the Heritage series .22- some come in 9 shot and some come as convertible and at least one comes with a 16" barrel. All come with fun in mind. Not serious work guns but go bang every time and actually have a nice blued finish instead of painted and baked. Overall quality is arguably less than Ruger, but that's the price point too. I just started with .22 handguns myself and these seemed to be a way to do that for the least amount of money per unit of fun factor. But money paid is always a concern to me, the less expensive relative to quality received the better. These work out just fine in that regard. I got two on sale (both 6" and one was a 9 shot) for about $99 each. My wife got two from her place of employment which were customized with unique wooden slabs for that company for $145 out the door.

The German gun I mentioned is along the Heritage lines, inexpensive but go bang. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »
I had a couple of Chiappa Pumas, but I just couldn't get over a single action with a safety, so I sold them.
I had the Chiappa 1911 style 22, but it felt like a toy, so I sold it.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and now I have 30 pistols to choose from!  chuckles1 chuckles1

Don't know what I'm going to do just yet but I will be checking out some of the ones you guys mentioned.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
Auto or revolver?
Old or new?

That'll narrow it down a little bit.

Or you could just start buying them as they cross your path.......
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
Auto or revolver?
Old or new?

I'm to cheap to buy new for the most part, although the only new fire arm I've bought was an RIA .45 Tactical, and it was below MSRP by a bunch. PAX 
  You need a crew  

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
Auto or revolver?
Old or new?

I'm to cheap to buy new for the most part, although the only new fire arm I've bought was an RIA .45 Tactical, and it was below MSRP by a bunch. PAX

I always buy used if possible.

But, to clarify, I should have said "Classic or modern".

Me, I'm sorta on the hunt for a CZ83, had one before and loved it. The a$$holes that broke into my house liked it, too. @#^&*$#!!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 11:13:42 PM »
Larry, I don't know that's why I asked for opinions. I do like the MK IV but not ruling anything else out just yet. In the end I'm sure I will end up with a few .22 pistols. I'll just have to figure out the order they come home with me.

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
One other recommendation if you go with a pistol, get a threaded barrel model.  .22LR/WMR suppressors are worth every penny and very versatile.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 10:27:16 PM »
I'll still recommend the Ruger MKII.
It's a quality pistol that will do everything you ask of it, and will retain it's value quite well.

I did not care for the 22/45, that was just the weird foot on the mags, though.
I do want more experience with the MK series. I've heard good things about the MKIV as well.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 03:59:39 AM »
The MKIV Target pistol is what started all this. I liked the look and it has a bull/ threaded barrel on one of the variants. The MKIV is a one button take down also.

I've heard the other Ruger's need an engineering degree and a weekend to disassemble. However, I'm still going to research some others that have been listed here.

Offline ArkSlim

• Cadet
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 07:07:47 AM »
Can never go wrong with a Ruger. That being said what will you be using it for? I have an old ruger revolver that came with both lr & mag cylinders bought used a little while ago for $125.00 and it is my favorite. Also have a S&W victory that has been a fun pistol and only $200.00 more than the ruger but prices have  gone up in the last 30yrs. rofl Bottom line is what ever melts your butter.