Author Topic: Picked up a pair of "new" ones today along with some ammo!  (Read 4323 times)

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Picked up a pair of "new" ones today along with some ammo!
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »
One is matching #'s on metal that I can see, it still has a lot of cosmo all over.  Arsenal /26\ 6019367, n on the rear sight, long lug, milled.  The stock is very red, bottom sling swivel, no numbers.  It kind of looks Russian, but not sure.  Also, one piece gas tube and all milled.

The other is a Chinese /106\ 21005354.  It is a para version with a spike bayo and takes ak mags and has a bolt carrier with a stripper grove and a bolt hold open button.  Very light import stamp behind the serial # (looks like N.A.C with something below that).  Also short lug, 3 on the rear sight, all milled parts, forced stock, color mismatched hand guard, one piece gas tube.

Also got about 850 rds of 7.62 x 39 ammo and a 30cal ammo can in the deal.  Paid $850 for everything.  I am wondering if the brass color ammo is Yugo and really don't know what the ak mag sks is or where it fits in.

I will post better pics of anything you would like to see.  I previewed the pics and they are all messed up.  PB has the pics right but they post upside down????  Sorry

John Galt

The guy also had a jungle stock version with a wooden hand guard.  I don't know much about those, so I didn't make an offer.  Here is a pic he let me take to post on this forum.
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: Picked up a pair of "new" ones today along with some ammo!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
Odd.  All of these pics on my photo bucket are oriented correctly.  I don't know why they posted upside down…Sorry.

Just checked the SKS Guide…the para that I just got is a Type 84.

John Galt
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:59:12 PM by John Galt »
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
Super score of the year!!!!

Ill trade you 2 SKSs for the 6m....   :)      I want to see every square mm of that rifle please.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:22:38 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:59:50 PM »
L-C,

Is this the original stock?  Bottom swivel, no #'s, and really red.  I am color blind and I can see that it is red.  I did ask my wife as well, and she said it is red. 

When I got it home, I closed the bolt and had to push it closed because there was so much cosmo in it.  All of the take down levers are covered in cosmo so I doubt this rifle has ever been apart since import.  It has a CJA import mark and the metal seem to be as new as the day it was born. 

Forgive my ignorance please, but is the condition of this rifle what makes it special or are the 6 mill rare?  I have a 1977 Chinese and wanted an earlier blade Chinese to replace it but that is all I saw when I looked at it, other than all of the cosmo.  I know that the blueing on these is usually pretty thin, but that and the non-numbered stock were all that caught my attention.

Do you know if the ammo is Yugo?  I'm not very knowledgable on the stamps.  Also, the type 84…is there really only 500 known specimens?  I may have really lucked out!!!!. 

The guy I got these from has a really nice (battle worn) Arisaka.  Bullet lodged in the stock, mum in perfect condition, and a sling (in bad condition).  There was a tag on the trigger guard that the previous owner (his deceased father-in-law) had written on.  It said that he got it off a Jap that he shot.  No way to say for sure on the story, but interesting none the less. 

Also, the jungle stock SKS.  I know nothing about them.  It had a wooden hand guard on it.  Is that normal?  I was going to offer him $275 for it but only had $150 in my wallet after the previous deal.  Are those more collectable than others?

Lastly, he told me he knows a guy at Cabelas that was very knowledgable regarding sks's.  He brought 2 to the store to talk to this SKS guy…and ended up selling them to the store…or the guy…didn't ask after he told me about  the sks's and what he got for them.  Both new in the box (actual sks boxes), chinese sks's, one had a bayo and the other didn't.  He got $300 for the one without the bayonet and $325 for the one with the bayonet.  I wish I could have seen those as well.

Thanks for the help and I will get some pics for you.  I am a late-in-life college student with little time to do much after job work and home work so the pics might take some time.  By the way, should I clean the cosmo off or just leave in as it is? 

John Galt

Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
The stock is not original as it should be a side swivel and serialized matching to the receiver.

I only have 6 other 6m rifles recorded .... its the serial thats hard to find.   thumb1

Yours also has an IC similar reshellac job....  need pics of the import stamps.

I would leave it in cosmo and shoot the others. Thats how I would want it when I eventually buy/trade you for it.     :)

Ammo is not yugo....   something else.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
Jungle stocks were never issued original on rifles from factory....  would make a nice shooter being an 8m Jianshe, but thats about it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
Ammo headstamp you show is Chinese ammo, copper coated steel case, I have a couple of handfulls of it kicking around. Good stuff, but now, it's more collectable than it is worth shooting.

Looks like a good deal thumb1

A dead give away for a Type 84, is a button on the top of the bolt carrier for the bolt hold open.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:15:05 PM »
Thanks for all of the info guys!  I'm glad I got to them before the guy brought them to cabelas to sell them ???

John Galt
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »
I'm glad I got to them before the guy brought them to cabelas to sell them ???
That's for sure!  You both came out way ahead by avoiding Cabela's. 

That's a killer deal you got there  thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
Good score John, getting all that ammo and ammo can really sweetened that deal! My 3mil /26\ gun was in a Jungle Stock when I bought it but I put it back in some wood (cut-down Albanian) shortly after. I don't know much about the JS but I don't think they are worth much, I keep mine as an extra in case something happens to one of the wood stocks on our three carbines.

You came out smelling like a rose with this deal John, congratulations!